Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-06-2019, 01:14 AM   #1

Steering head stem bearing replacement

Steering Stem Tightening = I finally did it
I had this little clunk in hard braking that felt like the bars were loose. Nope it was the steering head bearings loose. Bike was fine but I was accustomed to the handling I guess. I did give it the jack it up and pull on the lower end of the forks test and It Passed? no wiggle. Still I was not happy. Took it to the local guys and they were not going to do it so I took it upon myself to finally do it. Read about it many times and even bought the tools. Big 36mm thin wall socket for the nut under the bars. Special ? 4 point head bearing socket adjuster?
( note to self 1/2" breaker bar does not have enough adjustability at the correct angel so a very long handle ratchet is necessary to get the force to tighten it correctly) 40.00 bucks for the special socket adjuster and thank you Mike07nad for the SHORTY 6 mm allen socket TIP for the fork top brace. ( tight clearance in the faring area). All went well.
I was worried about the bars sitting on the blanket covered tank and with it the angle of the clutch and brake reservoirs taking on air due to the angle that they laid at. I had marked the bars before the removal in relation to the hold down brackets since I have the Bonvoyager hand grip deflectors installed. And did not want to play with the windscreen clearance later.
Also remembered from ??? ( thanks for sharing) to tighten the TOP bar bolts to 25 ft lbs FIRST then tighten the bottom bar bolts to 25. ( heard they have broke if not done in that specific order. ) it is in the manual.
All done, I let the reservoirs of the brake and clutch settle while I enjoyed a PBR and bumped them a few times just to let any air bubbles escape if they were there. Tested the brake and clutch all was good, SUCCESS.

Thank you all for the tips , tricks and tools for this job. It was scary during the project , but afterwards I thought it was easy. Just got to do it once. And then it is easy. Sometime people forget that part, when they give advice. Tossing it out there for you. Adding DL58 also on other tips, Thank you

Now I have the WABBLE Damn It. Keeping the hands on the bars now. Just not ready for the All Balls replacement, maybe this winter, in Minnesota. But I keep a hand on the bars almost always anyway. And maybe I need the longer ratchet to tighten more????

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by mbarr10; 09-06-2019 at 01:18 AM.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:33 AM   #2

Glad it went well Mike!
I have that project on the list for the winter, might be looking to borrow your spanner socket when time comes.
Side note, what's your review of your seats? Do you prefer the Corbin or Russell and why?
Mike
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 09-06-2019, 12:14 PM   #3

The spanner socket is available, You will also need the shorty 6mm 1/4' socket. Mikeo7nad suggested taking off the tank to give you more room. I was done by the time he told me. I can see how it would be easier.

The Russel sucks in town, need to slip up forward off the seat at every stop. On the road its Heavenly. The support under the legs is what I feel makes it so comfortable. Yet, I'm afraid of the Russel, sliding forward at every stop light I may damage it or something. Very soft supple leather. The Corbin leather is very tough and thicker.
I put the Russel on for my girlfriend the other day and she was really loving it. With all her surgeries and health issues it did not hurt her back or bottom. Her first ride in 2 years.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 09-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
{snip}

The Russel sucks in town, need to slip up forward off the seat at every stop. On the road its Heavenly. The support under the legs is what I feel makes it so comfortable. Yet, I'm afraid of the Russel, sliding forward at every stop light I may damage it or something. Very soft supple leather. The Corbin leather is very tough and thicker.
I put the Russel on for my girlfriend the other day and she was really loving it. With all her surgeries and health issues it did not hurt her back or bottom. Her first ride in 2 years.
Excellent news! Glad that the RDL is good for her. Hopefully, she will climb on more often! I can see where the RDL would be challenging during IN TOWN RIDING.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115