Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-20-2009, 12:43 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Riders down

I found this in one of the Salt Lake City newspapers. I find it curious, because it sounds like the car made a left turn in front of the bike, but the story makes it sound as though the rider was at fault? I know this area well, it's a big, wide street with three lanes in each direction and a large grass median.

One dead, another critical after crash in Murray
Published: Tuesday, May 19, 2009 11:18 p.m. MDT
MURRAY — One motorcyclist is dead and his passenger is in critical condition after his bike broadsided a car Tuesday night in Murray.

The car was making a left turn to go north when the southbound bike struck the car, according to Murray Police Sgt. Kasey Heaton.

Both men on the motorcycle were thrown about 20 feet from the bike during the collision on 700 East near 4700 South. The female driver of the car was treated at the scene for minor injures then released, Heaton said.

Initial reports suggested the two men were wearing helmets at the time of the crash because two helmets were found at the scene when emergency personnel arrived.

Because neither helmet stayed on during the crash, police are investigating whether the men were actually wearing them or if the helmets detached from a holder on the bike during the violent impact.

Both men sustained serious head injures and were transported to nearby Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, where one was pronounced dead.

Police did not release the deceased man's name pending family notification. No citations have been issued.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2009, 02:33 AM   #2

Riders down

It doesn't matter if the car driver was at fault if you can make it look like one of "crazy ass bikers" weren't wearing helmets.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:46 PM   #3

Riders down

No citations have been issued.

Of course not. It was just a couple guys on a bike ::)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #4

Riders down

Biased language is used more often than not in news stories. Bikes are bad, cars just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get broadsided.

I wish it said that the car failed to give the bike the right of way, pulling right into the bikes path causing the collision with the bike.

Those crazy ass bikes are just going out looking for cars to broadside.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Riders down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lund
Biased language is used more often than not in news stories. Bikes are bad, cars just happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time and get broadsided.

I wish it said that the car failed to give the bike the right of way, pulling right into the bikes path causing the collision with the bike.

Those crazy ass bikes are just going out looking for cars to broadside.
Anybody who rides a bike already has a death wish, right?? The cagers just help expedite the inevitable.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Riders down

It has been my experience that in most cases involving accidents involving a left hand turn and oncoming vehicle that charges are generally always brought against the left hand turn vehicle. The only time it doesn't occur is when the oncoming vehicle has been found to be speeding. The article does not appear to produce to many facts to clearly analyze what happened. Regardless, a sad day for the family and friend of these bikers.

Old 05-24-2009, 10:52 PM   #7

Riders down

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychocycle
It has been my experience that in most cases involving accidents involving a left hand turn and oncoming vehicle that charges are generally always brought against the left hand turn vehicle. The only time it doesn't occur is when the oncoming vehicle has been found to be speeding. The article does not appear to produce to many facts to clearly analyze what happened. Regardless, a sad day for the family and friend of these bikers.
Yeah, kill a motorcycle rider and get a failure to yield ticket. That sounds fair
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]