Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-13-2008, 01:27 PM   #1

top rails/hard bags

lookin for top rails for my hard bags. wondered what others have used and what kind of clearance you get between the bag and rails. wanting to secure sleeping bags to em. any help is appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-13-2008, 06:40 PM   #2

top rails/hard bags

Your choices are limited, there are only a couple of vendors that have those available, Cobra, and Kawasaki Fire & Steel come to mnd. And I think they are around $300.00 a pair. Ebay may be your best bet.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #3

top rails/hard bags

Do you have to put holes in your saddle bags to mount these? I put a top rack on a Givi bag I once used, had the mounting guide and everything, but the holes still didn't line up right, wound up having to put sealant around it to keep rain from coming in. I dread putting holes in something like the nice saddle bags on the Nomad.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 PM   #4

top rails/hard bags

Bought my rails on ebay for 175$, four rail model, had to drill holes to install, very easy look real nice. Took about thirty min. to install. Comes with rubber washers no leaks yet.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 PM   #5

top rails/hard bags

jmb, got a picture of the finished deal?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-13-2008, 08:10 PM   #6

top rails/hard bags

These are mine. Same thing as jmb I believe.
The holes were a little of when I did it but reamed them a bit to fit. Rubber washers and no leaks so far.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-13-2008, 08:14 PM   #7

top rails/hard bags

I've got the 3-rail rack. I think it's mfg. by MC Enterprises. EZ install, no leaks. You can get a rag under them to clean. Paid $80 from a private party selling on another forum.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:32 PM   #8

top rails/hard bags

The problem with those mounting templates is this: the bags are curved. If you don't get the mounting template exactly on the curved surface as it was when it was made, the holes will be off. Also those racks are welded together and they warp a little. Each one is just slightly different. The plastic bags will also shrink and warp slightly with age. Usually a template will call for slightly oversized holes to make up for that whole business.

If you want it to fit right and tight, the best thing to do in my opinion is this: get or make some transfer screws. A transfer screw is just a screw with a point on the head, and you can make them just by grinding regular screws. I cut the heads off & just grind the shank to a point. Screw one in each hole so the point is just poking out (not screwed in too far though, or they'll be a pain to get out!)

Cover the top of the bag with masking tape, position the rail carefully! (those transfer screws should be sharp and will scratch, hence the masking tape), and press it down to make the marks to drill holes thru.

This is called "match-marking" and it will compensate for the fact that these rails are welded assemblies and therefore the little legs on each one will vary slightly. It will also compensate for irregularities in the bag itself.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #9

top rails/hard bags

I got the F&S top rails and mounted them exactly like CQ just described, They came out perfect, and didn't have to enlarge any of the holes. +1 there CQ.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 PM   #10

top rails/hard bags

Yeah that's what i've got too. and my wife mounted it so I know she's right... She's got eyes

Old 05-14-2008, 12:12 AM   #11

top rails/hard bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
The problem with those mounting templates is this: the bags are curved. If you don't get the mounting template exactly on the curved surface as it was when it was made, the holes will be off. Also those racks are welded together and they warp a little. Each one is just slightly different. The plastic bags will also shrink and warp slightly with age. Usually a template will call for slightly oversized holes to make up for that whole business.

If you want it to fit right and tight, the best thing to do in my opinion is this: get or make some transfer screws. A transfer screw is just a screw with a point on the head, and you can make them just by grinding regular screws. I cut the heads off & just grind the shank to a point. Screw one in each hole so the point is just poking out (not screwed in too far though, or they'll be a pain to get out!)

Cover the top of the bag with masking tape, position the rail carefully! (those transfer screws should be sharp and will scratch, hence the masking tape), and press it down to make the marks to drill holes thru.

This is called "match-marking" and it will compensate for the fact that these rails are welded assemblies and therefore the little legs on each one will vary slightly. It will also compensate for irregularities in the bag itself.
This is a good idea......I will use this method to install my rails when they come.....Have some ordered from cycle-parts.com

Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM   #12
Advanced Member

top rails/hard bags

There are some differences between the top rails manufacturers. The Cobras don't have center rails anymore but most of the dealer show 2 center rails--this is not the case. I did buy a set from MAW (Motor Cycle Warehouse) and returned them. The MC Enterprise rails only come with a center bar and are shorter than the other brands, and also cheaper. There has been debates on here about no rail, 1 rail, 2 rails. The Cobra with no center rails still allow you boot to hit the top of your bag, so the protection is not as good at the multi-rail units. I can't remember where I got my top rails, but I got them with 2 center for around $210.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #13

top rails/hard bags

I made my own out of 3/16" aluminum plate..made tabs 5/8" and welded them onto rails. Masked off bags..centered rails ..drilled holes and mounted. I think they turned out pretty good and work real well. Material was about 25 bucks and one day in the shop...total cost along with a big smile...priceless

Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #14

top rails/hard bags

The hardest part of installing the bag rails is sticking the drill bit into the bag for the first hole. After that you are committed and just need to finish the job.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #15

top rails/hard bags

You can get the MC Enterprise 3-rail racks thru JC Whitney for $119. I ordered a pair but have not seen them yet. I was hoping to put them on with the Cobra saddlebag lower side rails but just got notified they have been discontinued. I saw the other thread but thought since JC Whitney accepted the order they had em. No need to go to JCW for the lower side rails.