Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-28-2014, 02:42 PM   #1

Vaquero Blacked out Backrest & Rails

Just picked up my 2013 Vaquero this past December... I just need it to warm up so I can ride... Untill then I just keep customizing...

Added some options KQR backrest, saddle bag top rails, passenger floor boards, taller windshield and thinking about the driving lights. I have the Kawasaki Matte Black Paint which looks SICK. However, adding all the chrome accessories was taking away from the "BLACK" look.

I found a powder coater and went with the PPG flat black color to powder coat the overly expensive KQR backrest, top rails and rear crash bars. The color is a perfect match with just enough sheen, they match the Matte Black paint perfectly.

I fit the saddle bag top bars and did not like how far they sat back on the bag. I created a wood jig wrapped in packaging foam and slowly hand bent them increasing the curvature to fit the bag and provide 100% protection of the front top of the bag where the passenger is sure to hit and scuff my bags. The chrome finish did not appear to crack or show signs of cracking but I was planning on powder coating anyway and thus would have a new protective finish on them.

My brother had a new 16"+ tall windshield he took off his 2013 Voyager because it was too tall and he did not want to try cutting down. He gave it to me to try cutting down. I watched online on how to cut down; I masked it off, created my template and noticed I was going to have to cut around the top and both sides... No way I could keep the blade straight and have the "NEW" look I wanted. Then I placed my black short shield on top of the tall shield. IDEA - Cut off the bottom and drill new holes. I used my short shield for a template, slid it up marked the bottom edge and hole location and cut and drilled. PERFECT - 14 1/2" tall and all factory edges exposed. I used the short black shield for mounting/supporting to keep the same look it had with the short black shield.

I ended ordering (2) set of bag rails by mistake. I decided might as well powder coat both of the them and put them out for someone to buy... I could not find black rails when I was looking. They are posted on e-bay take a look and happy bidding, it will save the powder coat fee for some one. Note-these are stock, not bent more as mine shown in the photos.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201044552596...84.m1555.l2649
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140224_202717_481.jpg (91.0 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140224_202612_588.jpg (96.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140224_202539_414.jpg (91.8 KB, 167 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2014, 03:21 PM   #2

Looking good. I would powder coat the front crash bars and replaced the handlebars with a set of black 13" apes. JMO.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 02-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #3

The trouble with blacking things out is how do you choose where to stop? I still see lots of chrome on there .

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 02-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #4

Looks to.me like about all you have left is the pipes front crashbar , saddle bag handles and taillights & turn signals
V&H pro pipe
FI2000
custom intake
work in progress

Old 03-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Yes - slowly getting there. I do like some chrome, but the chrome top rails on the bags just stood out too much. I wanted the protection without them sticking out. Since I was taking the rails in for powder coating I hoped going black on the backrest would work... It did!

I will see what is next on the list....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-02-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Looks great, I like it. Funny thing, just the other night one of the guys on my other Vulcan forum that I frequent posted to me giving me a link for a set of blacked out bag rails on ebay, I'm guessing that must have been your set :)

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 04-02-2014, 11:04 AM   #7

Did the powder coater have any issues with going over the chrome, of did they media blast the chrome off and go over the bare steel? I've heard that a lot of powder coating companies won't go over the chrome for what ever reason. Just curious because I have the 2013 in black as well and wouldn't mind killing off some of the chrome, (front and rear crash bars, KQR backrest, ...) Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Tags
backrest, black out, kqr, vaquero