Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-18-2008, 12:08 PM   #1

Just My Luck

Just my D@MN luck. 1 year after I upgrade my Vulcan Classic (miss ya blue) to my Nomad. Kawasaki comes out with the bike of my dreams. I planned on getting a front ferring and now there is the 1700 Voyager.

So what do you think? Should I upgrade AGAIN?

or

What do you not like about the Voyager?

D_Spyz

This is an add on to what I wrote above.

Also if you know a good place I can order a front fairing and a trunk so I can stay in my Nomad. Info would be very helpful. because my big thigs are it does not come in black yet and I am tired of modding a bike just to trade it in for an off the floor model.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2008, 01:06 PM   #2

Just My Luck

I'm undecided, so I did not vote yet. Waiting to see it when it comes out. It will have to be an impressive bike to sway me away from my Nomad. Hopefully those who make that decision will still be welcome here and not have to switch to the Voyager group. I just see it as a 1700 Nomad with a faring. I may just go for the new Nomad. If I don't like either I'll try to snag one of the last 08 Nomads.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Just My Luck

I didn't vote because this is too subjective of a topic. I'd do it in a heartbeat if I didn't have to go into debt to do it. I want a Voyager so bad I can taste it. Having said that, I am in no hurry to make the jump. That's just my personal gut feeling.

You have to decide what is best for you. The Voyager has some really good selling points: fairing, trunk, cruise control, 6 speed, 1700cc's, ABS. It also has some low points: flimsy plastic saddle bags, etc. I can't imagine Kaw would sell it with those bags if they didn't expect them to hold up to the rigors of daily use. The belt drive is matter of personal preference, as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimately, it's your choice.

Not much help, am I?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-18-2008, 01:10 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Just My Luck

Nope. :-)

Old 11-18-2008, 01:18 PM   #5

Just My Luck

I'm with Doc. Not for me, not at this time. I'm enjoying the ride right now. Just can't bring myself to go that far into debt for a smaller bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #6

Just My Luck

That's a big negatory, Ghost Rider. I like the Voyage too, and I'll confess it gave me some wood when I first saw it, but common sense wins out. I don't know about anyone else, but I don't have few grand to throw out the window on a loss and new taxes, and title, and etc. I plan on waiting until at least January 2010 to even start considering a Voyager. Hopefully some dealers will still have some 2009 models sitting on their showroom floors and burning a hole in their pockets.

Old 11-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #7

Just My Luck

I just bought my bike a couple of months ago, hard to think about trading it in already. I'm sorta with burkazoid - may wait a couple of years before I seriously look at it but I am definately interested. I hope to go take a look at it this weekend at the motorcycle show in Houston.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 PM   #8

Just My Luck

I really like the new Voyager. Selling my Nomad and buying one would not be as much a problem as the quality issues that may be there. Two different recent articles, written by people who have attended the unveilings, have both mentioned the quality of the bags and trunk is far inferior to the current Nomad bags. The material is thinner, and the bags won't hold as much. Kawasaki needs to address that right away if they are serious about competing. Otherwise, I think the Voyagers are the right choice. I like the belt drive and the fork and leg farings.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:10 PM   #9

Just My Luck

I'll be going to the show this weekend in Houston. My first impression a few weeks back was excitement about the Voyager. Since hearing from a few fellow Nomaders here who have seen the thing @ various shows, I have adopted a wait and see. ::)

I want a bigger bike, but am not unhappy with the Nomad. So, I've started my own research project. Just sort of gone back to square one and am taking a look at the whole field of baggers.

This time, I want to make as informed a purchase as possible. This bike will have to pull double duty and be all that I want it to be when we are on the road together. That's a pretty tall order. :(

Some advice from one who catches the fever when the wind blows......Relax, sit back, take a long, slow, look and think hard about ALL the things you want the bike to do.

This is one time I will agree with the girls, Shopping can be FUN!!

Old 11-18-2008, 02:50 PM   #10

Just My Luck

Picking a bike could be said to be like picking a mate. You check out what is available, learn all you can about them and choose the one that is best for you. I did a few months of shopping and comparing before I bought Lucille (the motorcycle not the Mrs. ), and I've been nothing but happy with her the last year and a half. While newer models in the female persuasion come out every day; including some with optional aftermarket bolt-on doodads, it's bad form ( in addition to being expensive) to walk away from the one that has taken you where you wanted to go and then brought you home again just for a newer flashier model. I wouldnt be approaching 25 years of marriage with the Mrs. if that had been the gameplan.

"and that's all I've got to say about that. . . ."

Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 PM   #11

Just My Luck

WHO'S YER FISHY!!

I was salivating over the new Voyager too, even though I'm not a big fan of fairings, Kawa did a good job with the layout here. The comfort is a huge plus for Ann and I; since we've moved to Texas it's 100 miles to get anywhere worth riding from DFW.

I think it's best to wait maybe 2-3 years before pulling the trigger on the Voyager. Too much new, too little info. The 1700 powerplant, belt drive.. hell everything about it is first-year production.

All things considered, I think I'll be sticking with my '06. Got a 23.5" Clearview Shield on order, just put on the driver's backrest and Kury offset pegs. It's getting reallly comfy right now.

And just to set the record straight - the ONLY reason you got the Nomad was because I pointed it out!

Ain'tcha glad I ain't there for when the Voyager hits Powersports??

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 11-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #12

Just My Luck

The Voyager really got me excited and I'm tickled that Kaw brought it out. I've only had my Nomad for two months and I like to stay in a relationship longer than that. I might consider it in 3-4 years, my '06 will do everything I want out of a bike (once I add a trunk).

Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM   #13

Just My Luck

I voted yes...trade it in....the dealers are hurting for sales lets help the poor b*stards out! You should be able to get one heck of a deal this year. ;) ;)

Besides...the rest of us want a guinea pig that spends lots of money so we don't have to

Just kidding...hold on to your cash, let the bugs of a new model year get worked out, enjoy your Nad.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to donguer Send a message via Yahoo to donguer
Just My Luck

Long story short.
For me, not yet. Don't know the price and not crazy for the colors offered.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #15

Just My Luck

I voted no to upgrading now. I, like many others, was really impressed with the first information on the Voyager. The posts by those that attended the Dallas show were really well thoughout and posted a lot of very good information. Thank you to all that posted after attending. They also made me decide that my first impression of wait and see after a year or so was probably a good idea. Besides, I only have 20,000 on my '07 and with the Mustang seat with drivers back rest, off-set Kurry pegs, a Phat II risers, it is really comfortable and worthy of many more worry free miles before I get a second bike.