Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #1

Riding in the rain

I finally got home from my Jacksonville trip. We left Jacksonville at 6:30 AM Eastern time and got home to Terry, MS at 10:30 PM Central time. That was a long ride!(pulling a trailer too). The bad thing is it stormed on us from Destin all the way home except for about 75 miles. I do not recommend anyone buy a Fieldsheer rain suit. I tried my new one out and got soaking wet. The pants are ok but the jacket leaked bad. I was soaking wet before I left Florida and had to ride all the way home wet and cold. The suit would be ok in light rain but it was storming! Most of the water came in around the sleeves and the neck area. My wife's frog togg suite also leaked. Maybe they are ok but it was raining harder than anyone should be riding a motorcycle in. The main reason I had to pull over so much is my glasses kept fooging up. Anyone know how to stop that when it's raining hard?
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2010, 12:43 AM   #2

Riding in the rain

cat crap!! it works great. I use it on the bike, cross country skiing. ect.

Old 04-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #3

Riding in the rain

WooBoy, I hate it when a 10 hour run takes 15 hours, it makes for a long hard ride.
The only thing I can think of that might keep your glasses from fogging with the style helmet you wear is a thin layer of liquid soap, like dish soap. Maybe. But with a 3/4 helmet, my glasses don't fog.
Glad you made the run safely.
Thanks for your time

Old 04-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #4

Riding in the rain

Ive tried a couple nylon rainsuits as well in the past and they leaked on me as well. The one that works best for me is a yellow rubber old style raincoat. On warm days though it gets damp inside because it doesn't breathe very well, but on cooler days it works very good.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #5

Riding in the rain

I ride in the rain all the time here in the Pacific Northwest. I use an anti-fog mist on my helmet visor. I wear a Fieldsheer Adventure Jacket and Fieldsheer Mercury Overpants. I've worn them in everything from light mist to torrential downpours and while they get soaked on the outside, I've never had a drop come through. Sorry the rainsuit isn't that good. After a ride like that, you really appreciate a dry road and a sliver of sunshine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-24-2010, 08:24 AM   #6

Riding in the rain

I just crack the visor (full face) open 1/8th of an inch or so. I find the problem is worst right when I start up and resolves a bit as I ride. My new helmet has a shield that comes up around the nose, and that seems to help as well. It is removable.

Dan K
Member #100
2009 ST1300: Performance exceeding even Victory riders' boasts.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM   #7

Riding in the rain

The problem with being in the rain is not staying dry, it is staying warm.

I was a Boy Scout leader for 12 years camping out sometimes for 2 weeks at a time. I can tell you that if it is continually raining there are *NO* rainsuits that are going to keep you dry. Rainsuits that are so tight that no rain can get through will keep sweat in as well so you get wet that way. Rainsuits that breath will, sooner or later, allow enough moisture through to get you wet. When you add in the pressure formed from riding at speed I suspect that all possible paths for water to get in will be found. I know this was the case when I was racing enduro's in the 70's. I even wore a waxed Barbour coat and found out quickly that sweat would collect inside and get you wet. The big advantage of that coat was the flannel inner lining that would keep you warm.

I finally just realized that getting wet while camping is no different than jumping in a river or pond with your clothes on while fishing which I have also done a lot! Sometimes to just cool off, sometimes to get to some place I couldn't reach, and sometimes just for fun. I then just quit worrying about it and had fun! There were lots of times I didn't even bother putting on the rainsuit!

Once you realize this you can focus on the *real* problem -- staying warm. When camping you can wear clothes that will trap heat even when wet, e.g. wool or polypropylene.

I'm new enough to highway riding that I don't know how people handle this today. Perhaps some lightweight polartec clothes like a vest?

Old 04-24-2010, 12:10 PM   #8

Riding in the rain

I have a FirstGear rainsuit. Keeps me dry, but it can be very hot when it is hot and humid out. As far as foggy lenses or shields, I found an anti-fog cloth at the local Honda dealer. Works for a while, then you re-apply, but better than nothing. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-24-2010, 07:49 PM   #9

Riding in the rain

I switched to contact lenses, no more fogging up :-)

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 04-24-2010, 11:30 PM   #10

Riding in the rain

The best thing about a proper rain suit isnt so much the ability to keep you dry but its ability to reduce the water and rate of wettness and most importantly, heat retention.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Riding in the rain

There is a good anti fog for eye wear and shields called Zookie, which can be had in a wax like paste, or spray bottle. It works well.

I first saw this stuff at a Laconia Bike Week years ago.

I hear ya on wet and cold. When it is warm enough I ride in rain taking off clothes to have something dry to wear after I am out of the rains.. Sometimes it is too cold for doing that and i just suffer in silence.

The Nomad is you have crash bar covers can be ridden fast enough that a lot of rain goes around me, and i can be drier than other riders most often times, so long as i can go fast.

That can be exicting in a down pour on the interstate here, as water can get 4 inches deep every where.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it