Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-01-2014, 05:52 PM   #1

VN1500 Rear wheel locked up,

Hi All, hope this finds you all well, I am Hoping you guys can throw some ideas, suggestions at me, My brother has donated his VN to me today, its a 2003 Classic which is great, The reason though is, the rear wheel locked up when entering a round about, When he came off he said the engine was still running while the bike was on its side, it then died (flooded I hope), Well at the moment the rear wheel wont move at all, The gears seem to be changing ok, no oil leak anywhere, I removed the rear brake in case it was that but it wasn't.
I am charging the battery at the moment so I can see if the engine will crank, though he has said when he finally had the picked up by a recovery van and dropped home it wouldn't, Any idea what the problem/s could be?
Thanks All, My bro is ok as well, very slow fall.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr10 View Post
Hi All, hope this finds you all well, I am Hoping you guys can throw some ideas, suggestions at me, My brother has donated his VN to me today, its a 2003 Classic which is great, The reason though is, the rear wheel locked up when entering a round about, When he came off he said the engine was still running while the bike was on its side, it then died (flooded I hope), Well at the moment the rear wheel wont move at all, The gears seem to be changing ok, no oil leak anywhere, I removed the rear brake in case it was that but it wasn't.
I am charging the battery at the moment so I can see if the engine will crank, though he has said when he finally had the picked up by a recovery van and dropped home it wouldn't, Any idea what the problem/s could be?
Thanks All, My bro is ok as well, very slow fall.
The engine probably died because of the tip-over sensor (just forward of the battery if my memory servers me right). Rear wheel locked up could have several causes. Put it in neutral and see if the wheel turns. If not then it's probably drive train related. If it turns then it's probably in the transmission. Just some where to start...................

Old 02-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #3

How many miles are on it?? One of two things come to mind.. The bevel gear assembly and bearing let go causing the drive shaft to lock up.. Or the u-joint in the drive shaft let go causing the rear wheel to lock up.. Does it Roll buy being pushed? I would pull the rear wheel final drive and swing arm and check all of the above.. If it was just the drive shaft it might be a cheap easy fix with a new one from ebay etc.. If it was the Bevel gear assembly gears/bearings etc.. Could be pricey. Let us know.
I just recently completed a bevel gear case complete rebuild with all new bearings and shims etc.. As well as replacing the drive shaft from PO that let the ujoint get so bad it destroyed the drive shaft yokes etc..

Let us know. and Good luck

Old 02-02-2014, 04:04 PM   #4

..Rear wheel locked in a "traffic circle"...as the bike lay on it's side the engine died..

????? How many miles is on the bike ? ..when was the drive shaft last inspected..rear lube housing checked ?...yea, will it "roll" when pushed ?

..So far from the available info --It seems perhaps the U-Joint Failed..or even a transmission issue ?

...If you discover it's a U-Joint failure.....order the replacement "front-u-joint" from AMAZON.COM --For the 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 4X4... (it come's with a grease zerk)..then use a 1 inch hole saw, to cut a hole in the swing arm/drive line housing -right in line with the u-joint- as it turns on the drive shaft..at about the 7 o:clock (outside position)...the rubber boot wil cover aprox 90% of the hole..and a one inch rubber/plastic, firewall plug can be used if perferred !
The u-joint w/grease zerk..will cost around $30...a new drive shaft from Kawk Inc...will cost close to $300 ...and will not have a grease zerk !

Old 02-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #5

So what the verdict? What did you find? :)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-03-2014, 11:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
..Rear wheel locked in a "traffic circle"...as the bike lay on it's side the engine died..

????? How many miles is on the bike ? ..when was the drive shaft last inspected..rear lube housing checked ?...yea, will it "roll" when pushed ?

..So far from the available info --It seems perhaps the U-Joint Failed..or even a transmission issue ?

...If you discover it's a U-Joint failure.....order the replacement "front-u-joint" from AMAZON.COM --For the 2002 Kawasaki Prairie 4X4... (it come's with a grease zerk)..then use a 1 inch hole saw, to cut a hole in the swing arm/drive line housing -right in line with the u-joint- as it turns on the drive shaft..at about the 7 o:clock (outside position)...the rubber boot wil cover aprox 90% of the hole..and a one inch rubber/plastic, firewall plug can be used if perferred !
The u-joint w/grease zerk..will cost around $30...a new drive shaft from Kawk Inc...will cost close to $300 ...and will not have a grease zerk !

Grease zerk, lol. we call em grease nipples over here

Old 02-04-2014, 02:24 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Grease zerk, lol. we call em grease nipples over here
We mostly call them nipples up here in Canada as well. Zerk is a brand name for them.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-04-2014, 04:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
We mostly call them nipples up here in Canada as well. Zerk is a brand name for them.
Oic

Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 AM   #9

I have always heard them called Zerk fittings.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-04-2014, 05:23 PM   #10

...I Like "NIPPLES" BETTER ! ; > 0

But I do come from a long line of "Torries"

Old 02-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I just call them grease fittings.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 02-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post

Very good info!
A U joint for 30 bucks. I would think they would be much more $?
IMO a U joint should last forever, as long as the rubber boot does not go bad and crack and or come loose, and let sand and dirt inside.

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Old 02-06-2014, 01:20 PM   #13

Check our Tech section, we have some part numbers for them listed there.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #14

...My U-Joint was working fine at aprox 20,000 miles..When I modified the swing arm to install a grease zerk..I just swapped the new u-joint in...as a "precaution" !

(As for the greasable swing-arm bearing's...study that modification very carefully befor doing it, or it will not "feed-grease" to the swing-arm bearing's properly)