Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-01-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Another Member taking Long Ride

Ok, not nearly as long as Utah, but just shy of 1k one way. I will be riding from OK to OH for my sisters wedding. I have about 3.2k miles on my stock tires right now, from what I am reading I should be ok with these tires for this trip correct?

I still have the stock seat on Black Beauty, but have the Grasshopper backrest, which is a WONDERFUL backrest. I have my hwy pegs setup nicely as well. I have luggage, and while it requires bungees, it is good stuff. I have my Vista Cruise installed and tested. I will be installing my GPS and accessory power port soon as well along with a drink holder (stole Dan's el cheapo idea). Anything else I need/should have? Advice seeked!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2009, 11:14 AM   #2
Advanced Member

David:
Sounds like you are about ready! You will savor having the GPS in strange towns! The Vista cruise, though you will not likely use it as much as you think it will be a blessing to be able to free up your throttle hand when you need to relax a little.

Not sure what to expect on the orig. tires, but I don't leave town without my bag liners, so easy to remove and take with you. That's all I would think of adding though i am sure others may have more suggestions.

If you get an afternoon off and you are near Central Ohio, I'll show you some sights! Have a safe trip!

Old 07-01-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Jack,

Where in Central OH? I spent a year in Columbus. I grew up in the Canton area.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Oh and I have bag liners. They were a great investment.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:32 PM   #5
Advanced Member

David:
I am on the East Side in Reynoldsburg, came down from Youngstown 20+ years ago and never looked back. Worked in Akron for a little while so I know NE and now Central OH pretty well. Best riding around here is SE of me in Hocking hills area or further down along the river. Enjoy the wedding and the ride!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-01-2009, 12:33 PM   #6

Travel safe. I'll be making a similar run up to Ohio from Florida for a wedding July 11.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #7

David, you should be fine with your tires on this trip. As long as the air pressure is ok, you should get at least 4-6k more miles on them. I changed my stock ones out last week with 9600 on them.
Have a safe trip, and keep your eye out for the moron drivers!

PC

Old 07-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #8

I changed my stock rear tire at about 8k but it still had some rubber left.

I seem to move my legs around quite a bit while interstate riding. I find I am most comfortable with my feet on the rear of the front boards. But I am constantly shifting feet position and riding one handed to rest my arms.

Since the black Nomads are best, you should be in good shape. Enjoy the trip and best wishes to your sister.

Old 07-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #9

David, if you don't have one you may want to think about picking up a tire repair/plugging kit. Those come in handy for temporary repairs on the road. That aside, have a great trip.

Speaking of Ohio, a small group of us will soon be riding through there twice...on our way to and from Washington D.C..

Old 07-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to dabull

todd...wrt the drink holder, i saw that dan had risers on his bike and that it "appeared" this free'd up an area to place the drink holder....do you too have risers, or is it installed on a stock set up??

thanks in advance

Old 07-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #11

Jack C have you every gone down to Brice road in Reynoldsburg when the Mopar nationals are in town?

Old 07-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachA
Travel safe. I'll be making a similar run up to Ohio from Florida for a wedding July 11.
Good luck on your ride. I know I am looking forward to my ride. I will not be going to any new states as I have been to all of them, but most will be the first time I will be riding the bike in them. I am pretty excited.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:45 PM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mep
David, if you don't have one you may want to think about picking up a tire repair/plugging kit. Those come in handy for temporary repairs on the road. That aside, have a great trip.

Speaking of Ohio, a small group of us will soon be riding through there twice...on our way to and from Washington D.C..
Very cool. Watch yourself on the beltway, especially for those with Maryland plates :). I lived in the DC area for almost 6 years. The speed limit on the beltway is 55, but if you are doing less than 65-70 you will get killed. Enjoy your trip. Oh and go to Tyson's Corner and eat at a place call Shimshary. It is a kabob place that is one of the best places to eat anywhere.