Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 PM   #1

blinkers offset

I just finished wiring a trunk on my nomad.....i used a hoppy converter to go from 5 wires to 4.....everything seems to working ok except......when using turn signal and brakes on, the signal for the turning side blinks and the brake light on the opposite side comes on, but the trunk signal is offset from the bike signal...that is the bike blinker blinks followed by the trunk blinker...thay are not synchronized...blinkers are synchronized when brakes are not applied.......any ideas??????????????

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-28-2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

blinkers offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzufarmer
I just finished wiring a trunk on my nomad.....i used a hoppy converter to go from 5 wires to 4.....everything seems to working ok except......when using turn signal and brakes on, the signal for the turning side blinks and the brake light on the opposite side comes on, but the trunk signal is offset from the bike signal...that is the bike blinker blinks followed by the trunk blinker...thay are not synchronized...blinkers are synchronized when brakes are not applied.......any ideas??????????????
Do you have a good ground to the lighting in the trunk?

what kind of lights did you put in the trunk? How are they wired? Does this problem continue if the trunk lights are disconnected (not the Hoppy, but the lights after the Hoppy)?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #3

blinkers offset

Also are some of the lights led's, they can cause some of the issues you mentioned because they draw so little power that the Hoppy converter doesn't recognize it immediately, sometimes guys put a resistor in the circuit to cure this.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-28-2009, 04:28 PM   #4

blinkers offset

Ring...they are not LEDs, They are small incandescent bulbs......as far as checking after the hoppy, you would not see the problem as the lack of synchronization is between the bike blinkers and the light in the trunk...therefore you would only have half of the lights......I should have my new to me trunk back from the painters this week.(old voyager trunk)..it has incandescent bulbs (1157 - 2 filaments).....i will hook it up and see if it still has the problem....as far as the ground it is grounded directly to the ground coming off the hoppy which is grounded directly to the frame of the bike.......I don't think I have a ground issue.

Thanks guys for the information.....I had not considered the power draw on the small incandescent bulbs...it makes sense...I may also just wire a test 1157 socket incandescent bulb and try it directly....now if I can remember where I misplaced my saddlebag bolts????????? - i got temp bolts from the hardware store....LOL

update: just tried it with a test rig with incandescent bulbs and it did the same thing.......so not a bulb issue

Old 09-28-2009, 11:36 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

blinkers offset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzufarmer
Ring...they are not LEDs, They are small incandescent bulbs......as far as checking after the hoppy, you would not see the problem as the lack of synchronization is between the bike blinkers and the light in the trunk...therefore you would only have half of the lights......I should have my new to me trunk back from the painters this week.(old voyager trunk)..it has incandescent bulbs (1157 - 2 filaments).....i will hook it up and see if it still has the problem....as far as the ground it is grounded directly to the ground coming off the hoppy which is grounded directly to the frame of the bike.......I don't think I have a ground issue.

Thanks guys for the information.....I had not considered the power draw on the small incandescent bulbs...it makes sense...I may also just wire a test 1157 socket incandescent bulb and try it directly....now if I can remember where I misplaced my saddlebag bolts????????? - i got temp bolts from the hardware store....LOL

update: just tried it with a test rig with incandescent bulbs and it did the same thing.......so not a bulb issue
Which Hoppy is it? If it's the 46255, it wouldn't matter if you were using LEDs or incandescent bulbs, as far as a load on the circuit goes. If it's a different model, it might make a difference.

I have to ask if you are using separate brake and turn signal lights on the trunk? If so, it ain't gonna work as intended on a 4 wire system.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-29-2009, 07:31 AM   #6

blinkers offset

it is a non powered "electronic taillight converter" the number on the converter is 48915....and there is only 1 light for each side for the turn/brake signals.