Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Here is the Skinny on the EJK

As some of you know I have been feverishly been trying to get good settings on my EJK to eliminate or at least reduce any after fire from the exhaust when decelerating usually from 3rd to 2nd at about 2100 RPM. I was working directly with Dobeck Performance on this issue. I was provided a docking station and access to Power Lab, which allows you modification of fuel curves which you can then save as Hex files then flash your EJK. We tried several variations, including disabling the Green Blue mode and making it a Decel Mode which they usually use on Harley and Victory, which almost always have decel pop. Nothing seemed to work. We tried different pulse widths for the injectors, etc etc etc. This has been going on for a month. Yesterday I loaded the standard map into Power Lab and began looking at the fuel curve. What I noticed was that when you set the EJK to .5 on Green Blue, the cruise fuel is coming on way too soon, Green fuel is based off RPM and since the Idle on the 1700 is set at about 950 rpm there was no need to set the switchpoint so low. I think this was creating a rich condition and adding fuel too early which then gets spewed into the hot pipes and Bang popping when the injectors come on at about 1900 RPM at closed throttle. Rich conditions can also cause popping and after fire from the exhaust.
So today I loaded the factory Hex file for the EJK and my new settings are
Green Fuel = 4
Yellow Fuel = 3.5
Red Fuel 1.5
Green Blue = 6
Yellow Blue = 3
Red Blue 4
These by far are the best settings I have ever used. The shifting was silky smooth, no hesitation anywhere in the power band ad even when the bike was super hot in stop and go traffic I had an occasional muffled after fire from the exhaust. I averaged 42 MPG. The Big Air Kit made a huge improvement on performance and throttle response.
I think this is it boys and girls. These settings are the best I have ever used. I will be doing a Dyno run soon to see if the AFRs are in the ball park. I am so happy right now. Feel free to use the settings and tell me what you think. For those of you without an Air Kit, this may be rich for you but give it a shot.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #2

Ken thanks you so much for your EJK info on the Vaquero setting once again you
ROCK Bro!

Thanks

Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #3

X 2! I'll adjust and report but it'll be a week or so before I'm in the wind again.

VBA Member # 02057

Old 05-10-2015, 08:41 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
X 2! I'll adjust and report but it'll be a week or so before I'm in the wind again.
Let us know how those settings work out for you. I will talking to Matt at Dobeck on. Monday.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 05-10-2015, 10:27 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Ken I know what you're going through. I have my little Cobra tri-pot FI2000 tuner dialed in spot on, my bike is running super crisp and strong now better than ever in the 1 plus year I've had it. I still get a little decel backfiring, but usually just under about 2200 rpm. That is with the switch air valves plugged, big air kit, and the thunder intake gasket tightly in place and the exhaust system bolted on as good as it can be. There may always be a little of that backfiring and "bubbling". I crack the throttle a little on downshifts and it helps clear it out a little better.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-10-2015, 03:14 PM   #6

Thanks for all the R&D. I'll try your settings. I have the FPs pipes so I'll see if this helps. Have been getting some backfiring but not too bad. Seems to improve with 87 octane. Is that what you are running now with those settings?

Thanks,

Old 05-10-2015, 05:50 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
Thanks for all the R&D. I'll try your settings. I have the FPs pipes so I'll see if this helps. Have been getting some backfiring but not too bad. Seems to improve with 87 octane. Is that what you are running now with those settings?

Thanks,
Yes I switched to 87 octane the moment I hooked up the EJK. The bike performs fine. No knocking or pinging ever. 93 octane is a waste and probably fouling the plugs.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 05-10-2015, 05:53 PM   #8
Top Contributor

I never ran anything but 87 in my Voyager, before and after the intake and fuel processor mods.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
I never ran anything but 87 in my Voyager, before and after the intake and fuel processor mods.
Redjay, I am really loving the BAK. What a difference. I can roll on 6th gear now and she responds , not like before when the bike felt like she was dragging ass.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 05-10-2015, 10:09 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Yes I switched to 87 octane the moment I hooked up the EJK. The bike performs fine. No knocking or pinging ever. 93 octane is a waste and probably fouling the plugs.
Thanks Ken.

Old 05-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Thanks Ken for that info I'll try it soon, and I'll report back everytime I get a day off it rains.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
Ken I know what you're going through. I have my little Cobra tri-pot FI2000 tuner dialed in spot on, my bike is running super crisp and strong now better than ever in the 1 plus year I've had it. I still get a little decel backfiring, but usually just under about 2200 rpm. That is with the switch air valves plugged, big air kit, and the thunder intake gasket tightly in place and the exhaust system bolted on as good as it can be. There may always be a little of that backfiring and "bubbling". I crack the throttle a little on downshifts and it helps clear it out a little better.
Believe it or not cracking the throttle on downshifts may be causing your after fire. It tricks the ECU into thinking you are accelerating and the ECU spits extra fuel from the injectors then pow afterfire since all the fuel was not able to be burned in the chamber. Try feathering the clutch on downshifts when you are around 2300 rpm decelerating. This has helped me to get to the point I am today. 99% pop or afterfire free. I have reached the point where I dont care any more about the ocassional pipe fart. I am just trying to help people here avoid the frustration and have some settings that will eliminate most of the after fire. Its not a garauntee because all these bikes have differences but at least a starting point.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger

Old 05-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #13
Advanced Member

I don't mind the occasional "pipe fart" either....just comes with making changes. When I crack the throttle on downshifts, not nearly all of them just an occasional one that eliminates the bubbling. My Vaquero is in such a fine state of tune now that it is really easy to live with. I finally got the decal backfiring tuned down nicely and that thunder intake gasket helped tremendously. I have also been mixing 87 octane with clear gas and that works really well. I am averaging around 48mpg....and with RacnRay's throttle fix, it takes hardly any throttle opening to keep it going down the highway steady at cruising speeds. I would recommend that everyone does Ray's thing on the right grip. It was well worth it.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
That's a plus. What does your FJR require?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 05-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
I don't mind the occasional "pipe fart" either....just comes with making changes. When I crack the throttle on downshifts, not nearly all of them just an occasional one that eliminates the bubbling. My Vaquero is in such a fine state of tune now that it is really easy to live with. I finally got the decal backfiring tuned down nicely and that thunder intake gasket helped tremendously. I have also been mixing 87 octane with clear gas and that works really well. I am averaging around 48mpg....and with RacnRay's throttle fix, it takes hardly any throttle opening to keep it going down the highway steady at cruising speeds. I would recommend that everyone does Ray's thing on the right grip. It was well worth it.
Ray's Mod was the very first thing I did. I rode to his shop and his tech Mark did the mod and adjusted my Cables and mirrors. It's nice having a reliable tech nearby, even though my bike is still under warranty. I respect Ray's opinion and knowledge with these bikes.

As far as 48 MPG, I don't think I will ever see that. With al the new found power and responsiveness I can't stay off the throttle. Cruise speed is usually 75 -80 mph.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Chuckster's BAK
Kawasaki 12 volt charger