Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to bikerjohn
Installing a Insta-trike kit on 1600 Nomad

After a recent incline,hardleft turn,& sudden tipping of my 2008 1600 Nomad, and broken left leg febual bone,,,I have been doing some thinking on installing a Insta-Trike kit on my Nomad. So I may drive my bike.
I know, I know, the damage was minor, but the spirit was broken even more. With plenty of time on my side these days, I wondered if a Insta-Trike would be a good investment. The web site is www.tow-pacinc.com
I am looking at the kit with the 12" aluminum Wheels.
Anyone out there have any advice on this kit... any links that could help me. ???
Thanks, a biker who is hating life at the moment. :'(
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-09-2008, 07:55 PM   #2

John DANO had a TRIKE kit,, dont think its that one,,but it is a drive on/drive off model.. Last I read he liked it,,He pops in here from time to time and is on the kawasaki Vulcan forums as well....Rich

Old 11-09-2008, 10:12 PM   #3
Top Contributor

I looked at their website. It looks like a rather unique concept. I especially like how it looks like it can be removed and reinstalled rather easily. That would come in handy for maintenance like replacing the rear tire, etc. It also looks like it's wide enough that you would still have pretty good access into the saddle bags.
I have no idea how the cost relates to other conversions.
Without actually seeing one in person it doesn't look bad.
At least worth considering.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 11-09-2008, 11:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by radco
John DANO had a TRIKE kit,, dont think its that one,,but it is a drive on/drive off model.. Last I read he liked it,,He pops in here from time to time and is on the kawasaki Vulcan forums as well....Rich
Here's the link for Dano...try sending him a PM.

http://kawanow.proboards77.com/index...file&user=dano

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM   #5

Very interesting concept.
Reasonably priced as well.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 AM   #6

Price comparison...we had our 97 goldwing triked out about 3 years ago..put a California Sidecar trike conversion on it...about $8,000. installed....sooooo...this is quite a bit cheaper..and the conversion cannot be removed witout a LOT of work....and parts that you generally get rid of...we did...

Old 11-10-2008, 11:32 AM   #7

John.... I'm in the middle of doing the Voyager conversion and other odds and ins to my 1500. I like the looks of the Voyager better than the Tow-Pak Insta-Trike, but then that's why they make chocolate and vanilla. It also looks good with the 14" Mag wheels upgrade. It went on without a hitch and rides well...just WAY different than 2 wheels.

I'm at the point of finishing up the paint process and mounting the trunk, then on to doing the lighting, choosing the fairing and paint and finish. I just had a hip replacement and working on it will last me through winter, but I'll be ready for spring.

PM me if you have any questions on the Voyager kit or if you want my phone number to talk.
Good luck,
mike

Old 11-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I saw a Voyager trike yesterday on the Valdez's PGR ride. It was mounted on a Harley. I don't know about the TowPac kit, but the Voyager allows you to lean the bike a little in the turns. It had round ball joints where the kit mounts to the bike frame. I spoke to the woman riding it & she was very happy with the performance. In fact she was riding it so hard in the turns, she was pulling the inside wheel off the ground. Just something you may want to consider........-Rich

Old 11-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

I have an Insta Trike on the way for me at moment, should be here end of this month. Cost 3800 plus 400 shipping to uk. Will have to pay our government extra probably when it gets here, will have to wait and see.

Chose that one as the Voyager doesn't allow full use of bags doors only opening slightly, Dano has one, and if you do search of his threads he gives good descriptions of good and less good points of voyager.

Looked at trike prices locally and cheapest to have mine changed was 6k plus pounds, and would have to move the bags back and upwards. Not acceptable, like the looks now.

Have a look on utube, they have some videos on there. As my bike is black it should be no problem matching as the kit comes in black. Have to go this route as am still recovering from cancer and havent got the strength back (or confidence) to go out with my wife on the back. If you can wait, I can help with pics, and what went wrong with me.

There is someone on here who is installing one on one of his bikes, not a nomad, maybe he will chip in.

Good luck, Trev

Old 11-10-2008, 01:49 PM   #10

The bags are not really and issue with the Voyager. True, with the setup of the Voyager, you cannot fully open the bags, but they have solved this situation. When you order the kit you have the option of installing re-worked hinges that will allow you to open the bags and then remove the door...when finished loading just replace the door on the hinge and lock as usual. You will pay $100 for the set of hinges and as soon as you remove your old ones and send them in to the factory, they will send you a check for you $100 back. In turn they re-work your hinges to be sent to the next guy.

Hope this clears up the opening the bags question. If I can answer any other questions about this kit, please just ask.
mike

Old 11-10-2008, 06:05 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to trevwales

Didnt know the info about the bag doors, interesting.

On another part of this topic, has anyone who has fitted a trike kit thought about fitting a car tire on rear?

Mikey, someone mentioned that you can lean a little on the voyager kit, do you know if this is so? Looking at both kit websites it pretty badly explained, or I am thick (please dont comment). The Voyager website video appears to be the best in explaining the use of the kit, with some useful tips on driving/riding it. I.E. Dont put your foot down!! They do say on the video that lifting the 'inside wheel' while harder turning is acceptable and practise to get used to it.

Bikerjohn, there is little difference in price between the two kits, I would suggest you check around on forums or people who have done this before choosing. I chose mine because it suited me, but that might not be what you are after.

Good luck, Trev

Old 11-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #12

a friend of mine has a nomad with a voyager kit on it and he let me ride it on a 100 mile trip last summer.my biggest complaint with the kit is excessive wheel hop when you hit a bump. and it rattles and squeaks when you hit a bump also. we have experimented with different pressure settings on the tires of both bike and trike and different preloads. but to no avail. i recommend you ride one if possible and see what you think.my friend is selling his and getting a lehman trike kit.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:50 AM   #13

I have the voyager on my 2005 nad. I also have the tow pack on my c-50t suzuki. After both are installed, The voyager comes off with removal of two bolts. The tow pac comes off with the removal of two bolts and a hitch pin. The voyager has limited access to side opening bags, tight fit. I personally believe the tow pac is a little smoother ride, then the voyager, but really don't know because their on different bikes. The tow pack has better access to the bags. I have the 12" wheels on the insta trike.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #14

PS: I did my own mod to the hinges, so I could lift the bag lids straight up. Also lowered the feinders, and expanded the wheel base. I can get the kawa bags liners in the bags now.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:40 PM   #15

Hi folks. I still have my Nomad Trike and I still love it. You may have 6 degrees of lean but don't count on that for steering except on the interstate. You drive it like an ATV. A few weeks ago, the wife and I road with a small group of about 20 bikes for a 100 miles or so. I didn't have any problem at all keeping up with them on the twisties. You can expect your gas mileage to drop about 3 to 5 mpg. Mine went to 37 mpg. You can fill your tank up to nearly the top since the bike don't lean though. When riding with my wife, the dog always goes too. She can shift him around, even give him a drink without bothering the bike in any way. Can't do that on my Harley. If you ride 2 up or 3 up counting the dog, it's great. You;ll experience a freedom that you won't ever feel on 2 wheels. Take your hands of the bars and open up a drink or just strech your shoulders and back. You can enjoy the ride more; at least I do. My Harley is my transportation, My Nomad is for fun,
Ride safe,
Dano