Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-10-2016, 10:24 AM   #1

Accessory Bar

This is the second post I've been wanting to get to today. I like scouring the forums for pictures of other peoples bikes and what they have done to modify them to get ideas for my own bikes.

One idea I had for this year was to centralize if you will, a few of my gadgets. I previously had my gps mounted on the handlebar at the clamps, but it blocked my view of the stereo face. My drinkholder was mounted on the left by the clutch reservoir but it blocked my view of the fuel guage. My TPM was mounted on the right by the brake reservoir and did not present any problems. I had a phone mount on the right glove box lid. That recently became a problem due to my discovery of internet radio. I decided I wanted to have the phone where I could see it better.

I started looking around for something I could use to mount all of these things in one area. I just haven't able to find what I wanted. So, I decided to make it myself.

I wanted a 1" mounting bar to go across the width of the handlebar so I chose a piece of 1" aluminum tubing, purchased at the local Ace hardware. The cost was over $14 for a 4' piece but I only used 16" so that piece cost me $4.64. I bought chrome plugs for an electrical box that fit perfectly in the ends of the tubing. That was $2.17. Next, I found some chrome clamps to fit my 1-1/4" handlebars on ebay. They were listed as mirror clamps. My cost for those was $29.14 but well worth it as they are of good quality. I used stainless steel machine screws with stop nuts to mount the tubing to the clamps. I already had these on hand. Lastly, I purchased a new phone mount off of ebay for a measley $5.69. That brought my total cost for this project to $41.64. Not bad. This gave me what I needed to mount all of my gadgets right where I could see them. Now I can see everything perfectly.

Hope this helps somebody out. The first picture below is what the bike looked like before I started. The rest of the pictures help tell the story and show the finished product. Had so many pictures I couldn't get them all in one post. Put the rest in a second post.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Ponitail; 05-14-2022 at 08:03 AM.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:28 AM   #2

Good job! It's nice to see someone else with as much crap on their handlebars as me!!

Old 07-11-2016, 07:25 AM   #3

Thanks for sharing the details Ponitail! Guessing that next weekend there may be a run on aluminum tubing from ACE!

Ride safe,
Smokier

Old 07-12-2016, 10:47 PM   #4

Great idea and it looks good. You should start producing these and sell them.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:56 AM   #5

I thought about doing that, but I've gotten so many ideas from this forum I just wanted to share it. I'll spend my time riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads