Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-12-2010, 06:17 AM   #1

Need tips for riding into Canada

I will be taking my first ride into Ontario in july with 3 other riders. Would appreciate tips and any info that might be useful on my trip. For instance, can I use my credit/debit card at a gas pump?,motel? etc.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2010, 06:22 AM   #2

I'm planning to go in July also. Passport is one thing you need and I was told the other day to make sure I talk with my insurance company about sending me a Canadian insurance card. My friend said all I have to do is call and let them know I will be traveling to Canada and need a card and they will send it out to me. I have no clue about the credit/debit card question. I would say you can use them.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 06-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #3

You will need a passport, and some change to pay the toll at the border. Its about $3.00. You can get AAA travel insurance, if your own health insurance doesn't cover you in Canada. Your credit cards will work here as normal, and the debit card should work in some private cash machines, but their is always a high service charge attached. Your own bank should be able to answer that for you.
I usually use cash or credit card when Im in the states. Don't try to bring any weapons in or out when you cross the border, the customs guys will go nuts on you. Id recomend bringing in your own beer and liquer if you want, since its a lot cheaper than buying it here. Our beer thats about $40.00 here is only $17.00 in NY, and my Crown Royal thats $43.00 here is only about $19.00 there last time I bought it. Taxes are high here 13%.

Where are you guys travelling? I may be able to give you a couple more pointers if You tell us where your going and which border crossing yuo will use.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2010, 08:23 AM   #4
Advanced Member

WOW! you really need to avoid Ontario by what ring wrote. Toll at the border? Not in Alberta. 13% tax? Not in Alberta; we have the federal GST of 5% but not the provincial tax of 8%. I thought we were getting hosed in Alberta, Ontario is really ripping off the tax payers.

Don't know about the debit cards, but they should work in stores and bank cash machines. Ask before you buy try to use your debit. Avoid the ATM's found in stores and malls since they are private owned and will charge a fee for using them. There are enough banks around that using a bank ATM is just as easy anyways. Credit cards and cash is a always a safe bet to use.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Gas is about 93 cents a litre here in Ontario. A case of 24 beers, $26 to $36, steak dinner $15 to $25. Bring lots of money !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #6

use your credit card for all purchases. That way you don't have to worry about the exchange rate. Also, not sure if all of Canada does this but in the eastern province, when you get to the border going ome you can stop and get a refund on the taxes you paid!! Save all reciepts.

vin

Old 06-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
You will need a passport, and some change to pay the toll at the border. Its about $3.00. You can get AAA travel insurance, if your own health insurance doesn't cover you in Canada. Your credit cards will work here as normal, and the debit card should work in some private cash machines, but their is always a high service charge attached. Your own bank should be able to answer that for you.
I usually use cash or credit card when Im in the states. Don't try to bring any weapons in or out when you cross the border, the customs guys will go nuts on you. Id recomend bringing in your own beer and liquer if you want, since its a lot cheaper than buying it here. Our beer thats about $40.00 here is only $17.00 in NY, and my Crown Royal thats $43.00 here is only about $19.00 there last time I bought it. Taxes are high here 13%.

Where are you guys travelling? I may be able to give you a couple more pointers if You tell us where your going and which border crossing yuo will use.
Planning on entering at port huron then drifting toward lake erie and kinda following it then swing up to Niagra, see it then exiting inyo New York

Old 06-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #8

Maybe what Ring is talking about is a toll on the bridge where he crosses, I have never paid a toll to leave or return to Canada.
I might be a good idea to bring some Canadian coinage with you as I have run into automated machines ( phones, vending machines etc) that do not like American coins, slight weight difference or something.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 AM   #9

I usually cross at Buffalo and that is where I have to pay the $3.00. Im not sure what they call it But you have to pay it regardless.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2010, 10:59 AM   #10

Ring, I think they call it "getting screwed".

Old 06-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #11

We get screwed royally here, I try to buy my booze in the states as often as possible, the same with my cigars. The brand I usually smoke are around $10.00 here for a pack of five, In the states a pack of eight is usually three to five dollars depending where I buy them.
Also if you use your cell phone, be carefull of roaming charges and high long distance rates. I called home for 2-3 minutes once and it cost me $22.00 for the call.
Make sure your plan will cover it or else your gonna pay.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2010, 12:02 PM   #12

GEES what IS the problem??? Here in LA BELLE PROVINCE, 15% sales tax on everything, gas as of yesterday was 1.08$ a litre (thats 4$ + a gallon) NO tolls, and it shows, roads suck ( there should be a sign as you enter, bumps for next million km) and if you own a bike, 614$ to plate it every year, 154$ instead of 86$ for your drivers' licence EVERY YEAR...... cheap insurance though, under 300$

BUT it ain't all bad, beer is more expensive than in the US, but you can get it at LE depanneur (8am - 11pm) and it's cheaper than in Ontario, FOOD, wow we have great stuff including junk food, and it's a beautiful place to ride and discover... , The Charlevoix region comes to mind, Beautiful!!! Gaspé, Quebec City, Montreal (festivals start this weekend, plus the Grand-Prix is in town) We have NO igloos (and where there are igloos, forget the bike, it's a ski-doo you need) and we do speak english...

In Niagra, do the wine route, was told it was nice and that's where my g-friend & I will spend our vacation this year.... Nice places to visit all across the southern Ontario area.
Enjoy your stay, come back soon, we need your MONEY
2012 Ebony Black Kawasaski Concours 14

Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #13

Cindy and I are going into Canada from NY and heading west. Then dropping down into Michigan this fall.
We have what they call Enhanced Driver Licenses from NY State.
They are as good as a passport and cheaper. Only good for Canada and Mexico.
Ring, want to talk to you about this at the Rally in Lake George.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 06-12-2010, 02:25 PM   #14

The other good thing for you guys in the US is that the dollar is about 8% in your favour, it will help with some of the taxes on stuff.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 06-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #15

Come to Alberta..we have the best oil in the world!!..Bdog