Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-03-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Is anyone using nitrogen in their Nomad tires?

Is anyone using nitrogen in their Nomad tires? I read that there can be benefits with constant air pressure and longer tire life. However it is suggested to inflate the tires to the hot temperature. Does anyone know what the "hot" tire pressures would be?
Btw I was at Costco here in Canada and they said that they would fill the tires at no charge providing that I was a member.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #2

i have nitrogen in my tires....wont comment if it actually helps in the life of the tire but nitrogen is filtered better for moisture then regular compressed air...also it does not expand or contract as much as regular compressed air....fill the tire 2 psi higher then what you would with compressed air....since it will not expand as much...then hot pressure will be about the same as with compressed air.....work where we install nitrogen in tires...have it in my passenger car and during the winter i don't have to adjust the pressure...ok maybe once during the season...but lot steadier then compressed air...

Old 05-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Everyone does, but not 100% pure LOL it's in the air we breathe.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-03-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I put nitrogen in my tires once and filled them at "hot tire" pressure and they wore out prematurely so I dont do that anymore.

2008 1600 Nomad 56K miles "BlueBelle"

2004 1500 Nomad 102 K miles "Black Beauty"

ABATE Black Creek Chapter

Amvet Rider Post 86
http://www.facebook.com/AmvetPost86

Weston A. Price Foundation member.

Vegetarian......
An old Indian word meaning "Bad Hunter"

Legalize Freedom!
Question Authority!

"Im in love with the waitress, and I dont even know her name"
"Boys" Gone Wild" ! Mainstreet Station 2012 Daytona Bikeweek

Old 05-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

You already have 80% nitrogen in your tires. We all do.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
You already have 80% nitrogen in your tires. We all do.
I was at a Ingersoll Rand seminar in 2003 where they pretty much stated that the purpose of nitrogen compressors was a new gimmy for them to sell compressors and for the shop owners to be able to charge for filling up tires.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I was at a Ingersoll Rand seminar in 2003 where they pretty much stated that the purpose of nitrogen compressors was a new gimmy for them to sell compressors and for the shop owners to be able to charge for filling up tires.
Yep, it's a money maker for the guy selling the nitrogen. I know it's used in jet tires and racing tires, but for the average Joe, I don't think the benefit justifies the expense.

My wife's Hyundai Sonata came with nitrogen in the tires and seasonally her tpms sensor will tell her the tires are low. She has to go to the dealer to get them filled, I can't do it with my air compressor.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #8

The problem with nitrogen, ignoring the actual/perceived benefits discussion, is that when you're on the road and have to fill the tires, nitrogen is hard to come by. You end up putting regular air in the tires and negating the nitrogen you paid for to begin with.

I don't see a benefit. A car tire will lose 3 psi per month, on average and nitrogen only loses 2. Not worth paying for. Air is 78% nitrogen anyways. As for expanding and contracting- there is a little difference. It only really matters in race cars where that small change could change the handling characteristics at high speed. I guarantee if we put air in your tires and called it nitrogen, you'd never know the difference. Everyday driving doesn't justify the cost.

The above is my opinion based on 6 years working for a large tire chain, and the education I received through time. **this is my opinion and should be used for informational purposes only**
||VBA #03091||

Old 05-03-2015, 04:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchool View Post
I've been around the auto dealership industry many years and agree with that conclusion. One rule of marketing is convincing the customer that they need it and that their product will fulfill a need that really does not exist.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 Nomad 1600, Blue & Silver

Old 05-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #10

If you put nitrogen in your tires I assume that unless you have handy acess to a nitrogen compressor, you will not check your tire pressure very often on your bike.
Granted it is said that tires with nitrogen lose pressure slower, but for safety I like to check pressure weekly. Often in doing so I lose a bit of air putting the gauge on the valve and end up putting an extra pound or two in till I'm dialed in right. Based on that I think any advantage of nitrogen would be lost by the inconvenience.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-04-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I use helium. Bike just floats through the twisties.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #12

I believe the nitrogen in aircraft tires has more to do with fire resistance than anything else.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #13

I've read that nitrogen does not heat up at the same rate as regular air from a standard air compressor. Therefore it might be possible to get extra mileage out of a motorcycle tire. It wouldn't cost me anything to get my tires filled with nitrogen, I just wanted to see if anyone here has had any positive results by filling their motorcycle tires with nitrogen.