Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 11-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Is my power cammander toast

My bike would not run until I removed the power cammander Error 51 and 52. Is this power cammander fried?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-29-2015, 07:58 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Don't know about yours but my dealer has a 5 gallon pail of them. When a bike comes in that won't run properly the first thing they do is remove any aftermarket computer, usually runs fine then.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:45 PM   #3

Seems like the only fuel processors that guys have failures with on here are power commanders. If it were me I'd junk it and replace it with one from Dobeck . Then you can adjust it anywhere and don't need a computer.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 11-30-2015, 11:17 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I had issues with mine communicating with my computer. Called the tech department there and they walked me through step by step the issues I was having. Might be worth a phone call.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 11-30-2015, 02:33 PM   #5

I have had Powercommanders on 3 different bikes, and I have never had a bad one. I have called customer support a couple of times, though, and they have always been helpful. They even remoted into my laptop while it was hooked to the PCV and did some diagnostics. So I would recommend calling and talking to them. As far as the other fuel systems go, if you just want something easy, the Dobek seems to get great reviews, but if you really want to tune your bike right, the fully programmable PCV is the only way to go. Not an opinion, a fact. You can not get as good a tune by adjusting a 3 pot system, as you can by dyno tuning a PCV.
Thunder Mfg Prototype Hi Performance Kit Rev 2
109 cid
Klockwerks Windshield
Corbin Young Gun
Throttle Mod
Freedom Performance 2-1
Roarin Toyz Intake
PCV with AutoTune
Ivanized ECU

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Dragon View Post
Not an opinion, a fact. You can not get as good a tune by adjusting a 3 pot system, as you can by dyno tuning a PCV.
Maybe not the 3 pot one but the newer EJK on a dyno and you can get the same results. Both Dynojet and Dobeck are right here in town. I know people from both places and I'll stick with the Dobeck guys.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM   #7

cannot answer u r question but the service manual says code 51 is for front coil primary winding open or shorted [to ground] which causes ECU to cut fuel at #1 [front] injector but would run on #2 ... same for code 52 & rear cyl .= no injector pulse = no run .. is the pc ground wire good . are all plugs tight & clean any broken wires .. I was thinking dobeck made those things so maybe they could fix it if u give em a call

did a search on dobeck .. they do not make PC ... but a conversation with a guy here in town that runs a bike shop & just talked to him 2 min ago to get it straight [he is a friend of mr. dobeck] some years ago dobeck started the dynojet organization but later sold out then started another company making the TECHLUSION processors and still are .. so two different companies now but it all started with dobeck and the dyno jet kits then along came fuel injection ... I personally chose the techlusion plug n play over other brands for several reasons and it works for me

Last edited by UNCLE WILLIE; 12-01-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:04 PM   #8

Thanks for the replies guys. I took the power cammander right off the bike and I was able to uodate the firmware and load a pcv. I will probably wait till spring to reinstall it.