Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 10-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

To be continued...

Hi, everybody! So, they insist on the production of the big Vulcans 1700 for year 2021. The models seem to be a bit out of modern technical progress having been produced unchanged for 11 years. What do you think?
https://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/...ROUPLIST-_-MPP

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #2

Could be worse Eugene. It could have an 8 track LOL

Old 10-09-2020, 02:24 PM   #3
Advanced Member

I wonder why they have never updated the Voyager or introduce a new model of it. I like them a lot but by the time you add all the amenities it's big $$$

Old 10-09-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
I wonder why they have never updated the Voyager or introduce a new model of it. I like them a lot but by the time you add all the amenities it's big $$$
Nevertheless, Voyager looks still nice. But it needs LED Headlight, usb, Bluetooth and forced engine. To say truth, I was sure they would release the all new Voyager for year 2021.

Old 10-09-2020, 04:40 PM   #5

I am driving a 2015 Vaquero which Kawasaki has done basically nothing to, the same as the Voyageur. I was a diehard Nomad owner till it was discontinued in 2014. Hope the Vaquero and Voyageur don't go the same way as the Nomad did. Anything I have wanted to change is aftermarket of which there isn't that much available. By the way Eugene what is a forced engine. Never heard of that term before.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2020, 05:09 PM   #6

I meant they should have updated the engine, having given it more power.

Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
I meant they should have updated the engine, having given it more power.
Add more power and it would need a bigger gas tank to give it an acceptable range. A bigger gas tank would add more weight. The bike would cost more.

As it is now the Voyager is somewhat of a bargain compared to a Goldwing a Yamaha Venture, or a fully equipped Harley.

Old 10-09-2020, 07:43 PM   #8

Thanks for the explanation. Since my bike has had all the Ivanizing done to it I find there is adequate power for me considering it is a touring bike with lots of weight. As Redjay says more power causes more costs. I am quite happy with the Stage 1 that has been added. Everyone is different though

Old 10-10-2020, 04:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbreaker View Post
Thanks for the explanation. Since my bike has had all the Ivanizing done to it I find there is adequate power for me considering it is a touring bike with lots of weight. As Redjay says more power causes more costs. I am quite happy with the Stage 1 that has been added. Everyone is different though
What is Stage 1? Do you mean the last Ivan's® ECU flash version (updated 9-2017) with "C4B" engraving on the back of your ECU?
No more costs! In spite of the ecological rein, the engineers of Kawasaki should have got additional horse powers from their big 1700cc engine, rather than mere 73 ones. At least, other motorcycle manufacturers succeed.

Old 10-10-2020, 07:40 AM   #10

Greetings,

According to friends of mine who own a dealership. Motorcycle sales dropped off a couple of years ago. Sales have not recovered or rebounded. Yamaha all but dropped the STAR line due to lack of sales, save the VENTURE. Honda doesn't have a big cruiser line-up anymore. Kawasaki is probably saving R&D money, putting in market segments that ARE still moving. Side-by-side, Sportbikes, etc. The HD and Polaris (Indian) line-ups seem stagnant as well. Yes, the Challenger is relatively new, but one new bike in four years...???

I don't know of course, just a correlation of information and observations.

It is a sad thought , for those of us who do ride two wheeled cruisers and tourers.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 10-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #11
Top Contributor

I spoke with a Kawasaki dealer a week ago who told me he has had his best year ever in sales, mostly off road vehicles, dirt bikes and quads.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

Hey Eugene: Stage 1 includes Ivan's flash, aftermarket exhaust and air mods in my opinion. I have Ivan's flash , V&H exhaust and just a stock K&N filter change. Lots have said the big air intake kits make a huge difference. My mods make for better drivability for what I need. Others will probably chime in as well. Quite a few options out there. It all comes down to how much you want to spend. These are touring bikes not cruisers.

Last edited by ballbreaker; 10-10-2020 at 11:01 AM.

Old 10-10-2020, 11:26 AM   #13

My ECU is on the way back from Ivan. I had a few questions and he took the time to answer all of them, nice guy to talk to. I will be adding V&H pipes to my setup down the road. When I do this Ivan indicated that the ECU doesn’t need reprogramming, only if I change the Air Intake. According to him by changing the air intake will add an extra 9 horse power to the bike.
To me the juice is not worth the squeeze, spend a few hundred dollars to get that extra horse power. We’re all different and have different opinions and taste, totally respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 10-10-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

Hey elquapo. Welcome to the forum. You are totally right. Different strokes for different folks. Ride safe.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:28 PM   #15

Exclamation Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by elguapo View Post
My ECU is on the way back from Ivan. I had a few questions and he took the time to answer all of them, nice guy to talk to. I will be adding V&H pipes to my setup down the road. When I do this Ivan indicated that the ECU doesn’t need reprogramming, only if I change the Air Intake. According to him by changing the air intake will add an extra 9 horse power to the bike.
To me the juice is not worth the squeeze, spend a few hundred dollars to get that extra horse power. We’re all different and have different opinions and taste, totally respect that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I preferred Ivan's ECU reprogramming for D&D mufflers and stock air filter, for K&N filters work worse then OEM ones. I'd prolong the engine's life.