Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-26-2010, 09:19 PM   #1

Opinion on V & H's

My new set of Vance and Hines arrived today and I ripped open the package to inspect for any shipping damage.
I wanted to ask all of you who presently run them to comment on what I observed with the quality. I had read numerous threads on the rear header pipe cracking over a period of time, plus some of you had difficulty fitting the mufflers to the end of each header pipe and even had to do some grinding.
Well, what I found with this new set was a beautiful fit on the mufflers to the header pipe ends. As well, the heat shields all had the clamp retainers tacked in 4 places ( unlike my current Cobras that are only tacked in 2 spots and have broken twice all ready ) Finally, the rear header pipe is a two section pipe that is welded together approximately a third of the way back from the head end. Plus, the area in question that cracks now has machined relief marks ground into it. Now I'm not sure if this has always been the case with these pipes. I would like to hear from owners if the items I've mentioned are standard or a new approach from Vance and Hines?
Regardless, I installed the Ultimate Baffles from Jasper and will bolt on the pipes tomorrow and go for a long ride.

Oh ya, just FYI, if I like the sound and performance of the new pipes I will probably be selling my current set of Cobra Slash Cuts. They have close to 10kms on them, and they look and sound good, but I just fell in love the the V & H's with the UBs that I knew that was the sound I was looking for.

Kevin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2010, 09:27 PM   #2

Opinion on V & H's

Well voyager, My opinion , why does ppl need aftermarket exhaust? The oem exhaust ( with the debaffle) sounds good? why the need for spending more money on aftermarket exhaust???? Just my opinion ?/

Old 03-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Opinion on V & H's

Once you've been to V&H with UB'S, you will not go back to nothing else.
I've had mine for a 1,5 years and just love them. I've had nothing but good comments on the music they produce

Mine was easy to install also.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #4

Opinion on V & H's

I have not had any problems with the V&H at all in 24000K. I do not like that they took the back pipe to the left side without a similar turn in the heat shield for a few inches at least. I have also tried different sets of Harley mufflers I had access to.

I think they sound much better than Cobra or the de-baffled stock. Just my 2 cents CAN.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-26-2010, 09:51 PM   #5

Opinion on V & H's

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper
Well voyager, My opinion , why does ppl need aftermarket exhaust? The oem exhaust ( with the debaffle) sounds good? why the need for spending more money on aftermarket exhaust???? Just my opinion ?/
Well, most will tell you that there is noooo comparison to stock, or debaffled stock compared to any after market pipes. If you ever get the opportunity to hear these pipes with the UBs in them you'll know what I (we) are talking about. Not to mention that you eliminate roughly 40lbs off your bike by removing the OEM exhaust. As far as the money, my wife is always telling me that spending money on Charlette ( my red beauty ) is cheaper than any mistress.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2010, 11:50 PM   #6

Opinion on V & H's

My wife says my bike is my mistress.

I agree voyager. The same was true of the Volusia. Folks tried drilling and coring but I loved my Roadhouse pipes.

I understood from some posts recently that the Ultimate Baffles are no longer available. Years back I used to make my own baffles but, so far I like the V&H stock.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 03-27-2010, 05:04 AM   #7

Opinion on V & H's

Have had my V&H for a year. i made modification. I Pulled the baffles, and welded a stainless steel screen to the inside end, removed the packing. Just what i wanted. I think you will like them.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:53 AM   #8

Opinion on V & H's

I took the baffles out and shortened them by about half. The sound was very nice.

But old age must be setting in. I recently took the V&H mufflers off and put on a set of HD slash ups. I can hear the music now.

I also put a dog bowl over the open filter intake.

But I digress, The V&H are about the best quality pipes on the market right now. I hit 43000 miles and no cracking or any other problems.

MT
VBA 936

Old 03-27-2010, 07:07 AM   #9

Opinion on V & H's

I have had V/H exhaust on my Nomad for about three years and over 20,000 miles. At first I was disappointed because they didn't fit well (alignment problem with the bag frames). When I first ran the bike with them, I thought they were too loud and almost removed them. Now I'm used to it, though they are louder when pulling the trailer due to the additional power required and also sound reflecting off the front of the trailer. The cleaner look without the goat bag and the ease replacing the oil filter are two more plusses for me.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 AM   #10

Opinion on V & H's

Roadhouse pipes...

Old 03-27-2010, 07:37 AM   #11

Opinion on V & H's

I've had V&H's on both my Nomads, and while I do like the looks of the Roadhouse, I've read of some quality issues on them as well, not to mention the price. In my opinion the V&H with the Ultimate Baffles produces the "best" sound I've ever heard on a metric bike. Add to that the ease of install and the quality/customer service. I have gotten more compliments on the V&H/UB's than I can count, and that includes many from the HD crowd.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R

Old 03-27-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Opinion on V & H's

can anybody answer his question on whether this is how your pipes came, or has V&h improved them? im still on the fence between v&h and cobras! if the probem has been addressed and they have changed the v&h pipes, i mite give them another look !! thanks

Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #13

Send a message via MSN to bokobob
Opinion on V & H's

Bought my 07 Nomad with Vance and Hines installed and they were too loud for my taste,, especially at highway speeds...so went back to stock, and will see about debaffling the stocks as they are pretty quiet....If that works to my satisfaction, I may sell he V&H....but not anytime soon..takes me a long time to warm up to projects..

Old 03-27-2010, 12:35 PM   #14

Opinion on V & H's

Haven't heard of any quality issues on the roadhouse. They are more expensive though. Got in an accident last just that bent the pipes to within 2 inches of the rear wheel and they didn't crack, split or break. I believe them to be a little thicker material than V&H. I should qualify which roadhouse pipes I have. I have the pipes that have a chrome cover on the actual pipe. Not the old school style that look like flexible pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
I've had V&H's on both my Nomads, and while I do like the looks of the Roadhouse, I've read of some quality issues on them as well, not to mention the price. In my opinion the V&H with the Ultimate Baffles produces the "best" sound I've ever heard on a metric bike. Add to that the ease of install and the quality/customer service. I have gotten more compliments on the V&H/UB's than I can count, and that includes many from the HD crowd.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #15

Opinion on V & H's

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavor
Haven't heard of any quality issues on the roadhouse. They are more expensive though. Got in an accident last just that bent the pipes to within 2 inches of the rear wheel and they didn't crack, split or break. I believe them to be a little thicker material than V&H. I should qualify which roadhouse pipes I have. I have the pipes that have a chrome cover on the actual pipe. Not the old school style that look like flexible pipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperboy
My experience was with the old school style. Don't get me wrong I know plenty of folks who are very happy with the Roadhouse brand. I was just suggesting that none are perfect, but that V&H were just as good.
VBA #931R
VROC #16379R