Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #1

Dog Bowls Be Gone!

Finally received the Thunder 51020 intake and left side plate, dog bowls be gone! This machine is getting way too shiny to take a decent picture of, but she's running even cooler now that those bowls are off the engine, the header is wrapped and the PCV and V&H slashies are installed. Now you can hear her breathing with every twist of the wrist...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by DarkStar; 07-20-2012 at 11:45 AM. Reason: image edit

Old 07-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
That looks SWEET!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 07-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #3

That does look great!

So, did you wrap the head pipes and then put the chrome heat shield over the wrapped pipes? Whats the benefit of doing this?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
That does look great!

So, did you wrap the head pipes and then put the chrome heat shield over the wrapped pipes? Whats the benefit of doing this?
That's what I was wondering.

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utah Motorcyclist View Post
That does look great!

In my case my primary motivation in wrapping the exhaust header was simply wrapped headers retain more heat, more heat in the pipe means less radiant heat around the engine, intake, and rider. The wrap serves as a sort of thermal blanket that directs heat out of the exhaust rather than radiating from all over the sides of the pipe. There is also a scavenging effect of wrapped pipes since the gasses are hotter and less dense which pulls them more quickly through the system which is also a potential performance benefit but I was working at reducing the radiant heat around the engine and intake.

One interesting benefit I’ve noticed since I wrapped the header, there is much less mechanical ‘noise’ from the engine itself which was also radiating out of the bare header pipe. I wear full face helmets and custom made earplugs when riding and with the wrap done the exhaust is the dominant sound with the air drawing into the intake also quite noticeable when you’re on throttle but the assorted mechanical engine noises are much reduced…

This is what it looked like before the heat shields went back on, I used 50' of 2" black wrap and stainless steel cable ties to secure it...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Looks good Darkstar, I like it.

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #7

Very nice, now chrome the crankcase.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-20-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

Looks good. Makes sense. Have you noticed a difference in performance? How about the heat?

Matt "Mo" Moore
Owasso, Oklahoma
VBA #1250
2005 Nomad 1600 - Darkside

"There is no normal life, there's just life. So get on with it." - Doc Holiday

Old 07-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #9

Very nice wrap job!!

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 07-21-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobandy78 View Post
Looks good. Makes sense. Have you noticed a difference in performance? How about the heat?
The header was wrapped, the V&H slash-cuts and PCV were all done at the same time, temperature gauge even on hot 90+ days remained below the half way mark with the bike moving where beforehand it normally was above it. In stop and go traffic the gauge would climb but the heat radiating upward was much less than before the wrap. The bike always felt as if it had lost power when the temp gauge was in the 3/4 and above range which was my initial motivation to wrap the pipes, trying to keep the heat away from the engine and intake.

Now with the addition of the Thunder intake and removing the dog bowls the temperature gauge now reads barely over the 1/4 mark when moving and the gauge climbs much slower in traffic and drops back down much quicker... those bowls block way too much air flow to the engine. I topped my tank off after the ride yesterday and even managed 42.7 MPG, she pulls strong with no flat spots or stumbles, my map tweaking is getting there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
Very nice wrap job!!

RACNRAY
Thanks Ray!

Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #11

I like the whole job alot. Living in AZ the heat is brutal and I have been looking for a solution to bring the temp down, as wll as a sleeker look. I have been looking at Performance Machine but they are so costly. Can you post a parts list and supplier where you got the wrap, PCV, and air cleaner kit. I wnet to Thunder Mnfg, and the air cleaner says a insert is required?? Is that just the filter element? any Idea if they do this kit in powder coat black?

Old 07-23-2012, 05:03 AM   #12

The Thunder intake kit doesn't require a separate insert for the 1700's, only the 1500's and 1600's need it and I have seen a powder-coated black 51020 kit, Element80 posted images of his here in the Vaquero Owners thread, call Thunder and check on the availability of the air kit in black, the left side plate comes either chromed or black. I did consider using a black air kit but with so much chrome already on the engine I opted for shiny...

I used this air kit from Thunder: http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=358

This Thunder left side cover plate: http://www.thundermfg.com/store/inde...t_detail&p=386

PCV here, I used the 17-006 fuel only model: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/.../pwrcomm-v.htm

V&H Slashies, also from Phat: http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/...st_p/18371.htm

I couldn't find the exhaust wrap locally so I ordered this, it took all 50' to wrap the header using a 1" overlap: http://www.amazon.com/DEI-010108-Bla.../dp/B000BRNF68

Called the local NAPA store for these: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Ca...279_0362411831

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #13

thanks for all the links. believe it or not i will be in bay city mi this friday for a week to visit family. how far are you from bay city.

Old 07-24-2012, 04:09 PM   #14

I'm exactly 70 miles north and west of Bay City, I can't even remember the last time I was in the Bay City/Saginaw area... it scares me...