Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #1

To cover or not

I have an uninsulated garage and was wondering if you cover your bike in the winter. I received a pretty good cover this year but I've heard two different sides to this question. Some say a cover holds condensation, thus rusting certain parts, and some say cover it.

I've never used a cover before and never noticed rust being an issue. However, dust and dirt getting on the bikes without a cover, is a definite.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 PM   #2

To cover or not

Insulate the garage!!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
Advanced Member

To cover or not

Once again, I am glad this is an issue we don't have to deal with here in A... oh- wait, someone else said that. :)

Flavor- it might depend on how humid your garage is, ya s'pose? Maybe as the snow starts to thaw in spring you could take it off, as it'd probably be pretty 'wet' in the garage.

Better put a good coat of paste wax on those Roadhouse pipes, that's for darn sure! :)

Old 12-02-2009, 06:54 PM   #4

To cover or not

I have a good outdoor cover that I've never used, but I would use it if I were on a trip and parked outside overnight. I bought a fairly cheap dust cover after I put the Voyager kit on, and I've been very pleased with that. It's light and breathes and keeps the dust off while it's parked in the garage.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Top Contributor

To cover or not

Hi, I park the bike over the winter in a unheated shed next to the garage and cover the bike in a fitted motorcycle cover then put a tarp over that. Its there for about 5 months and no issues with rust so far.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

To cover or not

I cover mine in my unheated garage with a nylon cover over the winter. However in the spring when it starts warming up in the day and cooling in the nights I usually remove it as everything in the garage seems to sweat. This only happens a couple times and then everything stays dry again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-02-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Advanced Member

To cover or not

have a fitted cover i use on the road! but just cover it with a sheet that breathes in the winter time. just something to keep the dust off !!

Old 12-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #8

To cover or not

What, you don't keep your baby in the house?

Old 12-03-2009, 01:56 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
To cover or not

I cover mine but I run an oil heater on low just to take the chill and dampness off.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

To cover or not

I'ld go uncovered, or drap the cover way up high to assist in dust off, but let it breath.

My nomad lives in a enclosed trailer uncovered... I did cover it and found the condensation was worse...

I agree with a healthy coating of wax, on the paint and on the chrome, and I leave it to turn white.

I check on the bike over winter, so long as I can break into the trailer.

Right now my bike is in the door yard, as the dammned cage is first in line, then the toyota and last the bike, to get things done.

With the new ce' ment floor in the barn I can get the bike in there and into the trailer on a whim.

I expect the lift adapter will allow me to pick the bike up and end for end it 180 degrees nearly instantly.

So I am hoping over winta' to get all the details in maint, done, and be ready for Spring...

I guess I don't need bother wax that ft fender though...... I wish the bike would speak and tell me what paint, but it just won't.

Jim in dampness, stuff oiled rags up the pipes, and yank the air filter and stuff the throttle body too. Some engine fog would be nice... Treat the tank filled full with seafoam, and run the engine a while.

I will do these things and last change the oil and filter.. Then run the new oil a few moments.. maybe 10 minutes..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 12-03-2009, 12:55 PM   #11
Advanced Member

To cover or not

I cover my bike with a fitted nylon type fabric with vents that breaths well. This is a good way to keep the dust off and it is a constant cold without a lot of dampness. If you keep your bike in a unheated garage but also park your cars or truck in there, this creates a fluctuation in temperatures and moisture levels that could create condensation underneath your bike cover. So I guess it depends on your situation, if there is a chance of moisture build up over a period of months then I would suggest no cover. Otherwise cover the baby up and say good night. ;)

Old 12-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #12

To cover or not

Mine's covered with a soft, breathable, car cover in an un-heated shed.
Battery comes in the house as well as the seats, backrest pad, and windshield.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
To cover or not

I cover in the garage. I want my Nomad looking as fresh as my nice pressed dress shirts I wear when I ride!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 12-03-2009, 03:10 PM   #14

To cover or not

If it is just to keep the dust and dirt off your bike in an enclosure, a queen or king size cotton sheet works well and breaths. A lot of dampness comes up through the ground, cement floor or pavement. I Park my bike on a sheet of plastic for the winter.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 PM   #15

To cover or not

My bikes sit in a shed with a wooden floor for the past 2 years. Last year I covered them early and went out to check them a week later and they were covered in moisture. I quickly cleaned them up but realized that the cover can't be put on till a couple of very cold snaps and then only loosely.
'01 1500FI Nomad, traded 9/12
Also '02 Honda Sabre
Kawanow #826