Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #1

"Chuckster" plate w/stock cover or open filter

When Joe advised he was making a new 7" plate I jumped on it.

I've been wanting to do this mod, but did not want to spend the 200+ bucks for the Thunder kit. Basically, the only difference between Thunder and Chuckster's is Thunder uses an adapter which lowers their plate about an inch. It also sticks out about 3/4" further than stock.

After receiving the Chuckster plate, found out quickly it had to be modified for the stock cover to clear the gas tank. Not a problem with Thunders because of the adapter.

As you can see, the 7" filter has plenty of room when matched up with stock "dog bowls."
But when mounted, have about 1/4" of clearance at the top between filter and cover......and much more everywhere else.

After discussing the tank clearance with Joe, "we" decided to move the mounting holes up 5/8."
After Joe did the drawing, the filter was too far into the throttle opening....so, the though was 1/4" was all we could raise the plate and not interfere with air flow.

New plate shows the addition of the holes for the two vacuum tubes as well as the threaded crankcase vent hose fitting.

I put silicone on the gaskets to help seal the vacuum tubes from the backside as well as slight amount around the throttle opening for the plate to seal against. Slipped a couple vacuum caps on the lines and gave throttle opening and butterfly's a good cleaning.
Add a couple jam nuts to the cover 1/4x20 mounting rod to keep from crushing the filter and that's pretty much it.

As this picture shows, the plate and cover are a little off center but you really have to look to notice. May decide to paint it black which will make it less noticeable.

I believe the bike has never run as good as it does now. Marked improvement in throttle response and it feels like it has more power.
Also, first two tanks were 41.5 and 41.7.

All in all, while not perfect fit, I like it......and that's includes saving 200+ dollars.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-06-2009, 09:01 PM   #2

Fine write up dkdixie .. Great Job
I will be eager to see if the filter will fit my stock cover on the 1500, or I will have to look for a set of 1600 covers.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 04-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

I haven't looked but think the 2 vac port holes could be eliminated and the tubing simply removed and capped off at the throttle body.

Also with out looking at the stock backing plate I think it might be possible to eliminate the ceter web between the throttle body 'throttle plates, to be more oval, but maybe not.

I haven't read the other thread all the way thru and so have no idea what the 2 rivets do. Do they hold a guide?

I hope you didn't use blue ATV silicon, and if you did get it off now! use something like Permatex non- hardening sealer on these gaskets..

Fuel will eat the blue stuff and make it an ooze and you really won't like that.

I have seen more carbs clogged to the point of being ruined by the use of blue ATV sealer than any other thing. That ooze will get blasted on things you don't want it on. That stuff is made for in coolant use and not for in fuel use and fuel will get there in a number of ways.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I haven't looked but think the 2 vac port holes could be eliminated and the tubing simply removed and capped off at the throttle body.

Also with out looking at the stock backing plate I think it might be possible to eliminate the ceter web between the throttle body 'throttle plates, to be more oval, but maybe not.

I haven't read the other thread all the way thru and so have no idea what the 2 rivets do. Do they hold a guide?

I hope you didn't use blue ATV silicon, and if you did get it off now! use something like Permatex non- hardening sealer on these gaskets..

Fuel will eat the blue stuff and make it an ooze and you really won't like that.

I have seen more carbs clogged to the point of being ruined by the use of blue ATV sealer than any other thing. That ooze will get blasted on things you don't want it on. That stuff is made for in coolant use and not for in fuel use and fuel will get there in a number of ways.
True. the metal vacuum lines can be removed at the manifold and capped off but, there's not much room there to reinstall.
By adding the holes and leaving in place would make it a lot easier to return to stock.

The rivets hold a wire loom bracket for the temp sensor and solenoid wiring.

Did not use blue silicone. Used hi-temp red and a very light amount.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

The clearance between the throttle body face (the flange where the 4 machine screws go) and the aluminum backing plate is very tight. When I originally installed my plate, I used permatex non-hardening sealer. When I took it off to install my crankcase vent fitting, there was no permatex on that face, it had all been pushed out when I tightened the plate up.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #6

I used Permatex red as well - I like the draw sound the carb makes under throttle

I didn't have a problem with buying the 90degree and drilling and tapping, but the new plate is an improvement - would have been a lot easier and saved a trip. Good job on improvement Joe!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac

True. the metal vacuum lines can be removed at the manifold and capped off but, there's not much room there to reinstall.
By adding the holes and leaving in place would make it a lot easier to return to stock.

The rivets hold a wire loom bracket for the temp sensor and solenoid wiring.

Did not use blue silicone. Used hi-temp red and a very light amount.
I can live with all that.. What seals do the vac lines get? That is backing plate to steel tube?

In the multi packs i get in auto suppy houses the red caps fit best on these 2 tubings.

I am glad you didn't use the blue stuff which is most common.

I say some of these things in the hope i head off someone from using the blue ATV in a fuel related project..

Being really thin I can get into places that are tight. Sometimes I even get paid for it.

Somehow I know I will live long enough to regrett saying that..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 04-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #8

The vacuum lines got the same red caps.
There are small round grommets which, with a little silicone, seal the metal vacuum lines from the backside of the plate. Added little more to the lines on the front side of the plate as well.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #9

To those of you that may be thinking about doing the Caddmann mod, Thunder kit or Chuckster's 7" plate, your leaving horses in the stable!! All will improve your performance!!
Enough that you can feel it in the seat of your pants.

Get rid of all that plumbing, reed valves, idle soleniods, install a Chuckster plate.....you will not regret it!!
For 45.00 ( much cheaper than Thunder)....another 25.00 for coasters.....and couple hours work...you'll have a bike that runs the way you think it should.

What an inexpensive way to pick up performance......and the bike just flat out runs better.

Joe's 7" did the job for me.....stock bowls or open filter. Your choice. They work!!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #10

I agree... the more I ride it the more I can tell the difference. I did the same, joes plate, removed all the gunk, chucksters coasters. I was really thinking I wanted the stock bowl, but after installing the 7 inch K&N I'm pretty fond of the look. doesn't stick out near what that 9 inch spectre filter did.. A+ chuckster.. thanks...

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
To those of you that may be thinking about doing the Caddmann mod, Thunder kit or Chuckster's 7" plate, your leaving horses in the stable!! All will improve your performance!!
Enough that you can feel it in the seat of your pants.

Get rid of all that plumbing, reed valves, idle soleniods, install a Chuckster plate.....you will not regret it!!
For 40.00( much cheaper than Thunder)....another 25.00 for coasters.....and couple hours work...you'll have a bike that runs the way you think it should.

Amen, brother!

What an inexpensive way to pick up performance......and the bike just flat runs better.

Joe's 7" did the job for me.....stock bowls or open filter. Your choice. They work!!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

I have to agree. Cleaning up the solenoids got rid of the "clacking" noise, the open air filter lets her breathe easier and the 7" plate and filter housing is a great look. Very happy with this mod. I'm going to go blow the dust off it this weekend and put a couple hundred miles on her.

Dollar for dollar, probably the biggest bang for the buck.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
I have to agree. Cleaning up the solenoids got rid of the "clacking" noise, the open air filter lets her breathe easier and the 7" plate and filter housing is a great look. Very happy with this mod. I'm going to go blow the dust off it this weekend and put a couple hundred miles on her.

Dollar for dollar, probably the biggest bang for the buck.
I like that quote, "dollar for dollar, probably the biggest bang for the buck." It sure is!!

I received a PM this morning from a member who mentioned some may be intimidated in doing this mod.
Well, I am not a great mechanic and do not have the extensive knowledge some members have, but I can use a wrench and I am more than willing to help anyone in my area who feels they need it.
If its more convenient I'll even put you up for the night...but you buy dinner.
We'll get it done then go ride!

This really is not a difficult project. Its kinda like taking the gas tank off for the first time....more mentally challenging than anything else. After you do it for the first time, its a piece of cake.

So, if you feel you need help or just somebody to look over your shoulder, ask for assistance.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
(retired)

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 04-18-2009, 08:18 AM   #14

Anyone that want's to do this mod, I can do either plate. Open style or use the stock cover to hide the filter.

I just finished this on my 1500 using the stock cover and really like the difference it had made in performance.

The plate is 45.00 shipped priority mail, payable by paypal or the ol'e stand by check/money order by mail.

Thanks
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com