Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM   #1

Bars / Grips and end caps

So I got around to doing my BB install. I tried to unscrew the end cap on the throttle side but was unsuccessful because the stupid thing is meant to turn the same way as the throttle and I didn't want to stress the throttle. So I went to the other side.
Note: if you do unscrew these, use a cloth and make damn sure you grip on the very outer edge because they are plastic and you could easily crush them if you get closer to the grip.
mine ended up scratched, damn.
Also, if you choose to do the BB thing remember the holes that the cable guides push into are large enough for the BBs to spill out. I used electrical tape for now until I find a better solution. Perhaps wax of some sort or that rubber crap you dip pliers handles into.

Haven't had a chance to ride it yet so I don't know if it helped.

It brought up a question for me. The threads that the end caps screw onto appear to be part of the bars. Is that so? or is that part of the grip? The grips must be hell to change. You must have to remove the switch housing to get under that side?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I think only the left side cap unscrews. I ended up mangling mine when I replaced my stock grips with ISO grips because it was not only screwed on, it was glued as well. Other than that, the stock grips weren't hard to remove.

Maybe seal the bar holes with some RTV sealant? Electrical tape isn't going to last long.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Ok I gotta ask what the heck are the bb ?

Old 02-04-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
Ok I gotta ask what the heck are the bb ?
Didn't you have a bb gun when you were a kid?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Yes, but is he mounting a bb gun on his bars?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2009, 03:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirello
Yes, but is he mounting a bb gun on his bars?
No he is pouring BB's into the bars to dampen the vibration.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 02-04-2009, 03:32 PM   #7
Advanced Member

OP I had vibration in my bars also but it all went away when I installed iso grips.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #8

after installing the risers I can actually see the bars moving at idle when i let go. It looks like a harley. At speed I think the vibe is contributed to the tires being old more than anything but I am hoping this will reduce it.

For those that have isoo grips. Did the threaded ends come off with the old grips or do the iso grips just cover that up??

Seemed odd to me that they would have a 1 inch hollow bar bottleneck down to a 1/4 inch hole

Old 02-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #9

OP you remove the end caps with the grips the left side unscrews and the right side you take your throttle cables loose to remove it.
I used the left side cap as a cover on the frame but couldn't get the right cap off of the grip.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #10

The threaded end is part of the grip on the right side, part of the bar on the left. Rather than try to remove it, I cut the plastic spacer included with the ISO grips down to the same length as the threads, measured from the end of the bar to the tip. Stuffed that down the left grip, applied glue to the bar and slid the new grip on. The fit was perfect.

Not sure if the spacer was needed or not, but the rubber in the grip is all one piece, and without the spacer I had a concern that the end of the grip would feel mushy.

Swapping out the grips was really easy. I had Gadget's instructions as a guide, and it took about 20 minutes. On the throttle side, you unscrew the two screws holding the housing together, and another screw on the bottom holding the cable guides. Slowly peel them apart and you'll get the idea of how it works (nothing springy is going to pop out and go shooting across the garage). Pull the throttle cables off the old grip and it slides right off. Install the ISO in reverse.

On the left, after removing the end-cap, I used a small, long flat-blade screw driver to jam under the grip and work it around the bar to break the glue and loosen the rubber. If your garage is cold, a hair dryer might help make the rubber more pliable and the grip easier to get off. I didn't use one and didn't have much trouble.

Locktite makes some all-purpose glue that binds on all sorts of materials - glass, rubber, wood, etc. Since the glue that came with the grips is sh*t, I used that and spread it around on the middle and end of the bar. The good thing about it is it take 5 minutes to set up, so you have a few moments to get the grip alignment just right before it dries. Tell ya what, that grip is ON there now. Don't follow the part of the instructions that come with the grips where it says to squirt the glue into the grip. That's crap, because the finger holds on the rubber are hollow - so your glue isn't going to spread evenly. Put a layer down on the bar and slide the grip on instead - much better and more even coverage.

Hope that helps.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 AM   #11

Thanks taranis that is exactly what I wanted to know.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:06 AM   #12

Well I have an update on the BBs. I changed my oil yesterday. I didn't get to ride it because of the weather but started it to circulate the new oil. BBs seemed to help quite a bit at idle. I can't "see" the ends of the bars shaking like before. Before it looked like a harley the way the ends of the bars would visibly move at idle. Next opportunity to ride will be damn cold and will be to take it in to have the cobras mounted. WooHoo.