Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-03-2008, 10:05 AM   #1

Thursday was a GOOD day

Thursday started off normal,but about noon our K9 Rescue squad was called out. I'm a member of 4 Rivers K9 Search & Rescue here in Western Kentucky. We're an all volunteer unit that have day jobs,but we had 5 members with K9's able to respond. It was a 2 hour drive to Madisonville,KY.
There we met with their D.E.S squad and drove to the search site. A 70 year old man with Alzheimers had been missing since Wednesday morning,last seen by some oil rig workers entering a remote wooded area. Me and my dog Dixie were furnished with a scent article and were first K9 team deployed. We started a perimeter search of the field and Dixie hit some scent into the woods on an ATV trail. Once in the woods she was covering a good bit of ground seeming to have some scent but not really hitting a fresh track to follow. My backup searcher and I called out several times without any answer from the victim. After 10-15 minutes of searching around some deep gullies Dixie hit a track heading along side a branch gully heading away from the creek bed. I commented to my backup that I hoped this was what we were looking for. He then called out for the victim and GOT A REPLY. Well we were somewhat stunned. At this point we had only been searching about 30-40 minutes and made the find.
The victim was in very good condition,confused of course and somewhat dehydrated. He was barefoot except for wearing one sock. We took him to a clearing where a 4X4 truck met us and drove him out to the staging area. EMT's checked him out and took him to the hospital for observation.
The prior searching had gone on for the previous 24 hours. Needless to say there was much excitment when we radioed in the find. The local D.E.S had done a great job on the initial search and had covered a lot of gound before we arrived. But I'm still very proud of our K9 team of volunteers. Working people who give up their personal time and money for training and equipment. And to travel where needed. I'm also pretty proud of Dixie! It was a very good day.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #2

Thursday was a GOOD day

Good job! Its nice to know there are still some decent people out there willing to lend a helping hand when needed. I'm sure the family was very grateful.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Thursday was a GOOD day

DOGS RULE

Glad he was found so quickly.

VOLUNTEERS RULE TOO! Great job k9sarky.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #4

Thursday was a GOOD day

Must be good to have success with your dog, and a good ending to the search. Good job.

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM   #5

Thursday was a GOOD day

That certainly was a great story for me. My Dad had Alzheimer's and it's a terrible disease. It's amazing how the brain can do such things to one who had such a brilliant mind.

Great job team!!

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #6

Thursday was a GOOD day

K9K9arsky-

Good job. My Mom ended her 8 year battle with the disease last year. I am sure that family is very glad people and K9's like you/your partner exist.

So if your name is K9arsky is your dog's name K9utch?
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 11-03-2008, 07:50 PM   #7

Thursday was a GOOD day

Job well done!!! Give yourself and your team a pat on the back.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Thursday was a GOOD day

It's stuff like this that makes me proud of those who choose to serve others.

Job well done!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 11-03-2008, 10:39 PM   #9

Thursday was a GOOD day

Wednesday morning I'll be standing in a flag line to pay tribute to a Nebraska State Patrolman that passed away at the age of 49. We can never say thanks enough to those that serve us.
Thanks for your time and effort on our behalf k9.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 AM   #10

Thursday was a GOOD day

Thanks guys. We hope to never be needed, but it is gratifying when all the training pays off with a success. Any member of our team could have made the find. But Dixie and I were first to deploy and by God's will we were in the right place at the right time.
Alzheimers is a terrible thief. This man is in good physical condition for his age,but the mind is gone. I've also known elderly people that had a very sharp mind, but their bodies were worn out. The hero is the one that takes daily care of these people in need. God Bless'm

Old 11-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #11

Thursday was a GOOD day

k9sarky. There's so much that can be said about volunteers and the good work they do and hours they contribute to help others. I'm glad to hear this one had a good outcome. Give Dixie a big hug and thank you for your service.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 PM   #12

Thursday was a GOOD day

Proud to know there are individuals like you and your group in this world.

Thanks for doing what you do.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 11-06-2008, 02:21 AM   #13

Thursday was a GOOD day

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa t
Job well done!!! Give yourself and your team a pat on the back.
Ditto.