Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #1

Question about riding 2 up

OK, here's a question for you guys:

I've been riding for several years but do not consider myself an expert or very experienced rider, by any stretch of the imagination. Anyway, I've just recently started to ride 2 up.

At the end of a very long day riding solo, my lower back is usually tight...no problem, I expect it and, when I remember, I stretch during breaks and it alleviates the problem.

Now that I'm riding 2 up, I get very tight (painfully so) between my shoulder blades. It happens after a fairly short period (60 - 100 miles). I've stopped and stretched out but, within 10 miles the pain comes back.

I'm not sure if it's due to:

1) an alteration in my riding position

2) or the way the bike handles, possibly needing more input from me, the operator

3) or because I'm just getting tense due the added responsibility of my passenger's safety and comfort while riding.

What do you guys (and gals) think? Have any of you experienced this? What did you narrow it down to? How did you reslove this?

I should add... this ONLY happens when I ride 2 up. I've ridden 80 miles to pick up my passenger with no problems. We went on an 80 mile round trip with several stops and breaks during the ride. The longest part was 30 miles or so. That was when the pain happened. I rode 80 miles back to my home afterwards, solo, and had no pain between the shoulders during that part of the ride.

I've only ridden 2 up three times so far and would like to do it more as we both enjoy the riding. The first 2 up ride was very short and there were no issues other than me getting used to riding 2 up. The second time was longer and I started experiencing teh same pain toward the end. This third time was the longest and most painful.

When I first started riding bikes, I had pain and numbness in my hands. As I gained more experience over the years, this went away as I am more relaxed and don't grip the grips as tightly any longer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to your experiences, comments, thoughts and ideas.

Thanks!

Russ

Russ

Fraternal Order of Police, NY Lodge 50
American Legion, NY Post 616
Legion Riders, NY Post 259
Patriot Guard Riders

"A democracy is two wolves deciding on lunch, freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of that decision." - Ben Franklin

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

I don't normally ride 2 up, but I have ridden 2 up before. I think your problem is a combination of a different riding position AND anxiety about the safety of your passenger. You're tense, which doesn't help and you are probably sitting a little more forward than you are used to. This may be causing you to bend and raise your elbows to make up for the decreased reach to the handlebars.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #3

The only difference I notice is the added weight when they get on or off. I don't change my riding position when 2 up. Sorry but I don't notice any pain. Maybe you are just tensed up. Try to relax and enjoy the ride.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 08-15-2009, 08:32 PM   #4

Probably #2 and #3 until you get used to it and more miles under your belt.

A drivers back rest has helped me a lot. I have the grasshopper rest and it does not interfere with a passenger.

good luck and ride safe.

Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 08-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #5

I didn't think about the driver back rest. That may be the problem. If I take my rear seat off and go solo then I have noticed my back will get a little sore. I think it's because I move back and hump over more.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

I don't notice any difference other than when they get on the bike and get off. I think its just a matter of relaxing a bit more when your on the bike. That usually comes after a while when your used to the bike.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-15-2009, 09:02 PM   #7

Do you find yourself sitting more upright?
Maybe you need a little more pullback if you're getting pain across the shoulders.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 08-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #8

I think that it would be # 3, because these bikes handle as well with 2-up or solo, matter of fact, mine seems to handle and ride better when riding 2-up and loaded down with gear. These are great bikes with plenty of room. The only suggestion I could offer is just to get more comfortable with a passenger (learn to relax, the bike can handle it fine), and maybe a driver's backrest.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #9

I would say mainly 3 but 2 is a factor. You are controlling more weight so on the long sweeper curves do require more counter steering force to get the bike to turn.

Old 08-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Don't notice any difference, just a little more careful. Jamie

Old 08-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #11

Russ, I get the same pain between the shoulders after long rides. I think we both need pullback risers to get our elbows further back where they should be.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 08-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #12

My vote goes to # 3. When my wife used to ride and we went on long trips I would get the same conditions. she would realize what was happening and I got a back massage while driving. This would help for a while and then return, another massage and stop to streach. It will get better when you get more comfortable and are able to relax.
VBA #628
IBA #54485

Old 08-16-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

If you don't have risers other than stock OR longer taller pull back bars that just might be a good part of the problem.

Just about no body fits a Nomad, unless the guy is a really big guy with longer arms, a lot longer..

Most people need a slight bend at the elbow, when every other body part is at rest and relaxed.

I ride 2 up 98% of the time, usually with my wife, but last year I had a kiwii female pillion for many longer day rides over a 3 weeks span. She was wanting for her own bike to arrive from NZ, which was supposed to have been with in 3 days of her arrival here, but wasn't..

With either of these women I had no idea they were on the bike, and still have to check on my wife every ride.

I might guess that if the pain goes away shortly after the pillon goes you are adding some stress to the event, which would be the same as what happens to your hands.

My hands are just plain bad beaten, and I move them around a lot, slightlu holding the throttle usiong a throttle rocker, wiggling my fingers, laying them over the brake lever, bring them back to the rip and let them hang loose. Anything to change the way they rest so no one way stays very long.

Still once I get between a rock and a hard place I find I am choking the grips, and have to work at getting my hands back.

With me there is a lot more wrong with my hands that just gripping grips, as this happens with tools, cups of coffee, a can of beer, and etc etc, because my hands were and still are over worked.

But between my shoulders is never sore from riding.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-16-2009, 09:50 AM   #14

You have got to relax! Most likely the pain between the shoulders comes from gripping the handlebars and from tension from being nervous. You have to be comfortable on the bike! If you don't have risers and a drivers back rest I would suggest getting them. If your passenger is not used to riding most likely they move around a lot which keeps you tense. If you are still riding the stock seat your passenger is probably not comfortable either causing them to move more. Ask them to tell you before they make a big move so not to startle you. You might try a sheep skin cover, air hawk cushion. or a custom seat. Time riding two up will help but you can add accessories to increase your comfort/pleasure riding one or two up. Also you can practice riding two up by placing a loaded large duffel bag, T-Bag etc on your back seat and riding with it on the bike. You will get used to the added top heavy weight and find riding with a passenger in place of the bag easier.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:25 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Particularly at slow speeds (parking lots, tight turns, etc.) a passenger has significantly raised the center of gravity on an already heavy bike. Additionally, they are constantly moving--making subtle shifts you to which you are unaccustomed. For example, when they want to look from the left to the right, even that slight movement causes you to react. You are probably in a constant state of expectation because 2-Up is new.

Do a test: At random times, notice the tightness of your hands on the grips. On straight roads, you really do not need that tight of a grip. Relax your grip to what you actually need. The difference between those two grips is probably contributing to the tightness at the back of your neck.