Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 10-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #1

Advice on air intake Mod

I am looking at doing a intake modification this winter on my 03 nomad. I have the V & H duals and have ordered the TFI. I am not sure which way to go on the intake. Any suggestions on which is the best way to go? If I go with the Cadman mod or the other big air kits how much do I need to worry about getting caught riding in the rain with the open filter? Any advice would be appreciated!
Dobeck TFI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-26-2008, 07:41 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Advice on air intake Mod

Don't worry about rain... The worst case senaroi is that in a lot of rain, with a paper filter the paper will turn gray and the cage will get rusty. A little misted water in the take is good for cleaning out carbon. It steam cleans the piston and the combustion chamber. While that happens you will even get a bit better MPG's. Steam power lol..

In almost all air except maybe desert air, there is water. In NH USA there is a hell of alot of water born air, or is it air born water? I can never tell...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 10-26-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Advice on air intake Mod

I'm saying "humidity". LOL!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Advice on air intake Mod

Currently there is a de-humidifier running in the cellar. Each day I dump out 5 gallons of distilled water, which has gotta come from the air.. Earlier in summer 2 same machines made twice as much water, but one of the machines is in the machine shop now, and not in use, as the wood stove there is taking care of the problem.

According to the machine and a independant read out the humidity level in the cellar is 61%, and the least water in air I can get so far. In Spring we suffered mold on books, wood and leather items, and the humidity then was 98%, almost rain. And it did rain off the copper water pipes.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #5

Advice on air intake Mod

Would most say that the Cadman is the way to go?

Thinking of maybe going with the Stealth Air Cleaner, Part Thunder Part Kawasaki from Gadget's site ( not sure I like the look of the white air filters sticking out), But it is quite a bit more money.
Decisions.....decisions...decisions!!!!
Dobeck TFI

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-27-2008, 10:48 AM   #6

Advice on air intake Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman68

Thinking of maybe going with the Stealth Air Cleaner, Part Thunder Part Kawasaki from Gadget's site ( not sure I like the look of the white air filters sticking out), But it is quite a bit more money.
I too have been thinking about the 'Halfway to Thunder Mod" on Gadgets page.....but think I'll try the e-cheap-o Caddmann first to see if I like it.
Now if I can just find the thread that has all the little things (and part numbers) to do it......

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 10-27-2008, 01:38 PM   #7

Advice on air intake Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by "dk dixie"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman68

I too have been thinking about the 'Halfway to Thunder Mod" on Gadgets page.....but think I'll try the e-cheap-o Caddmann first to see if I like it.
Now if I can just find the thread that has all the little things (and part numbers) to do it......
dkdixie-
Here is the link to the directions and parts on Gadget's web site. I can't find the air cleaner parts where I am local, so I would have to order them to try.

[http://www.gadgetjq.com/caddmankit.htm]

Dobeck TFI

Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #8
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Advice on air intake Mod

fireman68,
K&N makes a 9 in. kit. It is listed on the Gadget page that deals with the Caddmann kit. I'm waiting for mine to arrive. I got mine for approx. $65.00 Can. each. So the red/maroon coloured filters might look better. I don't think anything will "stick out" that much more, if any, than what the OEM covers do.

macmac,
so you don't think in a down pour {if you had to ride in one } the open filters { in my case K&N } would be a problem? Because I was wondering the same thing.
Rickyboy

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 10-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Advice on air intake Mod

Rick I ride in freaking down pours. NH is a freaking down pour in summer every other day. I rode with that set up in a thunderstorm from hell each summer since 05, when I bought the 01 with Cadd;s set up on it.

Last fall I rode to Loon Nt and the Scottish festival they have there in a roaring down pour covering I -93 apx 3 inches deep in water, every lane, and when that happens I just go faster to stay dry.

I been in rain that hrard with hail. This summer I was over to Vt and rode back with my wife on Rt 112 aka the kanc, but the kanc isn't that part of Rt 112..yet, but in the kanc and still in that rain i ran into sopped other riders who don't have the desert dawg, and they were sopped but good..

I burn tons of air born water, and water born air. That water gets misted from the pours in the paper filter, so it isn't like pouring a solid stream of water into the intake. It is all mist.

A hood on a car doesn't protect a air filter from rain very well either, as there is just too much water in air when it rains for any filter to prevent water, which it can't do.

The water in air on a dry day becomes water in the exhaust again, anyway, so No not even a lot of rain is going to bother a piston.

Now maybe if you park right under a gutter on a roof and the run off is directly into the intake, that will raise hell. That is a hydrolic lock, and that woulod bust pistons, rods and the crank. But you aren't going to do that, and if you do the fix is easy.

Just pull all the plugs and crank the engine over, drop the oil and filter, add all new install the plugs and go ride to vaporize any water left in the crank case.

I have re-built lots of outboard engine that went right to Davey Jones locker in sea water.. If the re-build is fast, there is little harm... Same goes in fresh water, but a far less re-build in needed. When you wait years for the re-build things become far different..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Advice on air intake Mod

The cadman kits can usually be found in VIP, Auto Zone, and perhaps Pep boys.. This stuff is for cars.. The idea is fast and cheap, and the fastest way to go back to stock.

All you really need is the stuff for the right side.. The left side doesn't do much, if anything.

The pic of my bike is wrong... That was the last time I took pics of my bike, and I hadn't cut out the center tube at tha point in time, but the left side is naked now.. I got a extra paper filter and a extra cover now... I will install that paper soon, but unless i loose the cover somehow, which I did last year once, I have no use of it for now.

Any hot rod shop and not even a good hot rod shop should be able to get this filter and the cover set, of which you throw away the bottom part of.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 10-27-2008, 08:45 PM   #11

Advice on air intake Mod

I'm going w/ the stealth kit mostly for the looks. I am very happy with the 1500 bell covers. Like the holes in the bottom of the bells for additional air and cooling though. Might combine both features.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Advice on air intake Mod

I have the caddmann kit on both sides. I really like it and haven't had any problem with rain, the last rally I went to, it rain every day and even hailed. No problem.

I really like the looks of the cadd kit. I bought mine from Autozone for $15 each side.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #13

Advice on air intake Mod

I finished doing the Caddmann mod last night. Haven't got out for a ride yet. Been kind of chilly here but suppose to start warming up in next couple days.

I want to see for myself the increase in performance before making final decision on going to Baron or Thunder BAK.
Figured 20.00 for right side mod was cheap investment before spending considerably more for aftermarket kit.
I have no doubt performance will be noticeable, more questions about mileage.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 10-30-2008, 11:24 AM   #14

Advice on air intake Mod

I've been running the "Stealth Air Kit" for 3 years now. I wanted to open up my intake and keep my "EVO" cover that I had. The first 2 years I had left the stock intake and tube in place (they were function-less) 'cause I thought I might have to go back to stock. Last spring I remove the left side intake and tube, and replaced with a Harley horn to cover up the empty "V", and removed the reed valves and plumbing. Replaced them with coasters. Since I first done the mods 3 years ago (including the TFI and V & H baggers) The power and torque increases were, for lack of a better word "WOW". The engine does run a lot cooler, and mileage is pretty consistent around 42 mpg.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-30-2008, 06:33 PM   #15

Advice on air intake Mod

Thanks for all the input. I picked up the filters to do the Caddmann yesterday to give it a try. I thought this would be the best way to decide if I want to go any further. Tomorrow's project-Install TFI and do the Caddmann. Hope I don't mess it up!!!

Just F.Y.I, they told me at our local Autozone that they (Autozone) was going to discontinue the Spectre air cleaner kit due to lack of sales.
Dobeck TFI