Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-21-2011, 10:11 PM   #1

my 01 vulcqn wont turn over, I need help!

It rained today and my bike was out in it at work. Now for some reason it won't crank over. It just cranks. It acts as though there is no gas, but there is. This is the second time this has happened. The first time this happened, I noticed there was a nice amount of water in the fusebox (i took it completely apart down to the circuit board). I finally noticed that the fuse on top of the battery was blowing every time I tried to crank it. That's when i pulled the fuse box out and thoroughly dried it. While that didn't start the bike, the next morning after all the rain was gone and and the bike had a chance to dry, it started. I don't know what to do. Anyone experience this problem or have some advice?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #2

Im not sure about the circuit board problem you had, but sometimes the ignition switch wears and doesn't turn the fuel pump on. Turning the key on and off sometimes allows it to make contact and start. I had this happen on my bike. Also a weak battery will allow it to crank over but not fire.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Im not sure about the circuit board problem you had, but sometimes the ignition switch wears and doesn't turn the fuel pump on. Turning the key on and off sometimes allows it to make contact and start. I had this happen on my bike. Also a weak battery will allow it to crank over but not fire.
I know its not a weak battery. It could very well be the fuel pump not turning on. I honestly can't remember hearing the fuel pump c9me on. It's raining too hard now to try and work on it so I has to leave it at work which I REALLY didn't like doing. It's supposed to be clear tomorrow, let's hope so.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:36 PM   #4

You should always hear the pump whine for a couple of seconds when you turn the key on, if you dont the ignition switch is a good starting point to check.

Old 11-21-2011, 11:04 PM   #5
Top Contributor

FI or carb'ed? If it's carb'ed, it could be water got in them. And I've heard that carb'ed bikes fuel pumps are really quiet although I've never had one.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #6

I know this is no help now but if I were you I would get a cover and cover my bike if it looked like it was going to rain.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
FI or carb'ed? If it's carb'ed, it could be water got in them. And I've heard that carb'ed bikes fuel pumps are really quiet although I've never had one.
It's fi. What things should I look for tomorrow? Obviously ill check the switch. Anything else?

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 AM   #8

Not a whole lot to check for, see if the plugs are sparking, it could also be a bad plug wire, or ignition coil if your having problems in the rain. Although the plug wires are not normally a problem they are part of the ignition coil and cannot be replaced seperately.

Old 11-22-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

I got the bike to finally start and it runs good now. I had to try for about 15 minutes to get it to start though. It would act like it was trying to get gas but never would, then finally it got the gas and turned over.

One thing I did notice was more smoke coming from the left tailpipe than the right tailpipe when I started it up. It went away fairly quickly but it was still there. I will check the plugs later tonight or tomorrow. How do I check the ignition coil? Also, wouldn't it not even try to crank over if it was the ignition coil?

I really want to find out what is causing this as my bike is my sole source of transpo and I don't have a choice but to ride in the rain. I'm going to get a cover but still need to figure this out. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Old 11-22-2011, 02:11 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

I'm unclear what the original problem was. You said "it won't turn over". To me that says the starter isn't cranking the engine, then you say "it just cranks". Those two statements contradict each other. Each has its own set of potential causes.

If it cranks, but won't fire - it's either fuel or ignition. Either it isn't getting enough fuel or there's no spark.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-22-2011, 03:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
I'm unclear what the original problem was. You said "it won't turn over". To me that says the starter isn't cranking the engine, then you say "it just cranks". Those two statements contradict each other. Each has its own set of potential causes.

If it cranks, but won't fire - it's either fuel or ignition. Either it isn't getting enough fuel or there's no spark.
Sorry for the confusion. I was getting crank but no turnover (either no spark or no fuel don't know which). Originally I was thinking it might be the fuel pump not coming on, but I don't think that is the problem now. I'm gonna check for spark this evening or tomorrow but don't quite know how to check the coil.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:43 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyetube View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I was getting crank but no turnover (either no spark or no fuel don't know which). Originally I was thinking it might be the fuel pump not coming on, but I don't think that is the problem now. I'm gonna check for spark this evening or tomorrow but don't quite know how to check the coil.
Well, there may be some testing procedure in the service manual. Unfortunately, I sold my service manual since I no longer have a Nomad.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 11-22-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:53 PM   #13

Check for a spark, If it has one, give it a shot of starting fluid in the plug hole and replace the plug, then see if it fires.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
Check for a spark, If it has one, give it a shot of starting fluid in the plug hole and replace the plug, then see if it fires.
I got it started this morning (after 15 minutes of trying). It seems to me the rain has something to do with what is happening. I'm gonna go buy a cover today but I still will have to ride the bike in the rain and it will get wet. Since the bike is now running, I don't know how that testing for spark will do any good as I have spark. It's weird that it just cranks and cranks and cranks without turning over as though the fuel pump isn't working. Makes me believe the rain somehow causes the fuel pump to not function. Not quite sure how though.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyetube View Post
I got it started this morning (after 15 minutes of trying). It seems to me the rain has something to do with what is happening. I'm gonna go buy a cover today but I still will have to ride the bike in the rain and it will get wet. Since the bike is now running, I don't know how that testing for spark will do any good as I have spark. It's weird that it just cranks and cranks and cranks without turning over as though the fuel pump isn't working. Makes me believe the rain somehow causes the fuel pump to not function. Not quite sure how though.
Actually cranking and turning over mean the same thing, but we understand what you mean. It's cranking, but not firing ( not kicking or attempting to start ).
Since it happens when it sits in the rain and then starts later, I would suspect an electrical issue. Could be as simple as the porcelain is cracked on one of your plugs, a little water down the spark plug tube and the spark will go to ground. I would start checking electrical connections, change the plugs, examine the spark plug leads for abrasion, or places moisture can get in. Next time it is going to rain cover the ignition switch with a baggie in case that is the issue. Also if it does it again make a point of listening for the fuel pump cycle on when you first turn the key.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136