Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 AM   #1
Advanced Member

progressive fork springs

I installed progressive fork springs in my 07 nomad last year. Im not overly thrilled with the performance i'm gettin from them. Would like some feedback to make sure i installed them right ?? removed forks, drained old fluid, replaced old springs with new. this is where im not sure i did it right ? the new springs were the same length as the oem springs, so i didnt put any new spacer in the forks. i used 15wt oil and put everything back together. just wondering if i needed extra/longer spacers for more preload ?? thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #2

progressive fork springs

There should have been a large spacer above the spring, right? Did you put the correct amount of fluid back in?
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Advanced Member

progressive fork springs

I did it last year, so dont remember if there was a space ?? i did hold the springs up to each other and they were the same length. and yes i put the correct amount of fluid back in.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:40 AM   #4

progressive fork springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
I did it last year, so dont remember if there was a space ?? i did hold the springs up to each other and they were the same length. and yes i put the correct amount of fluid back in.
Whoops. Typo. I meant to say spacer. When I worked on my front forks several years ago I remember a 4 or 5" spacer that sat on top of the springs. That is still in place, right?

Old 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #5
Advanced Member

progressive fork springs

i dont believe there was ?? the cap screwed right down on top of spring ?? guess the only way im gonna know for sure is pull it apart ! which is a pita with the fairing on. thanks jared !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #6

progressive fork springs

Look here. The part I was referring to is part 92026.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...0071#sch444935

Old 07-27-2011, 08:16 PM   #7
Advanced Member

progressive fork springs

I see what your talking about, but if i remember right, there is no way i could have put a 2, 3, or 4 inch spacer in there. just dont believe you could compress the spring that far to get the cap screwed in. Im really wondering if there is/was a difference in forks ?? 1st gen or 2nd gen ?? like i said the prgressives were the same length as the oem springs, and a spacer didnt come out when i took it apart.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:18 PM   #8

progressive fork springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
I see what your talking about, but if i remember right, there is no way i could have put a 2, 3, or 4 inch spacer in there. just dont believe you could compress the spring that far to get the cap screwed in. Im really wondering if there is/was a difference in forks ?? 1st gen or 2nd gen ?? like i said the prgressives were the same length as the oem springs, and a spacer didnt come out when i took it apart.
Something is not right with what you're saying. There has to be a ~1" tube by about 4-5" long (spacer) on top of the spring. I replaced my springs (2006 Nomad) with Progressives and I reused the stock spacer. In the attached picture you see the stock spring (top) and Progressive with the spacer and, yes, the springs are about the same length. Also, there's a washer on top of the spring otherwise the spacer has nothing to seat on. I used the stock washer as the one that came with the Progressives was too small. With the springs installed and the forks extended fully, the spacer should only protrude above the upper triple tree about 1/2" or so and that will give you a preload. Without the spacer, you basically have no front spring? The only way the spring would extend to the top of the fork would be if the space somehow ended up in the fork tube below the spring. I'd take them off and dump everything out of the fork. If you pm me your email, I can send you pictures of the fork taken apart. I recently rebuilt them with new seals, etc. This link may also help. It's off my Shadow but the fork construction is identical.

http://home.insightbb.com/~kpmh.010/...eplacement.htm

Pete

Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Advanced Member

progressive fork springs

thanks pete, its just really got me wondering right now, cuz for the life of me, i dont remember the spacers in there. only one way to find out ?? tear it down.