Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-04-2009, 08:44 AM   #1

Replacing Stock Handle Grips

This should be an easy one....

How do you take off the stock handle grips? I just purchased a set of ISO Grips, but I am not sure how to do the install. I am sure that there are some sort of directions that come with the new grips, but I would rather ask the experts!

Thanks,

Brian

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 11:48 AM   #2

http://www.gadgetjq.com/levercovers.htm

Check out the instructions on gadget's page. Easy to do. The chrome end caps screw off. Then the throttle side will practically fall off. The other side you may have to cut or take extra time and care if you plan to ever reinstall them.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #3

Thanks OP. I read Gadgets post, but the left side seemed somewhat tricky, and I would rather not cut them if I don't have to, so I thought maybe someone here found a better/easier way of doing it.

Brian

Old 08-04-2009, 12:47 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

When I replaced my stock grips with ISOs, I found that the cap on the left side that you are supposed to be able to unscrew was glued on. I had to mangle it with a pair of channelocks to remove it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #5

I just replaced my stock grips on my 08 last week. I did replace with ISO grips. Cut off the rubber grip on the left side it will reveal the handle bar remove the grip, the cap is left hand thread I used pipe wrench with rag as not to scuff the chrome. There is a spacer at the top of the grip next to switch box twist it a few times & it will slide off. The right hand is not that bad either loosen the switch box housing 7 releae the 2 cables, you may have to loosen the wire ties so as to give you slack in the cables. Slide the grip off in one piece & replace it with the new on it took less than an hour to complete.
The ISO grips are worth the money & time. I have had the Nomad for a year now and wish that I had put them on sooner

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-04-2009, 05:16 PM   #6
Advanced Member

cap is left hand thread on left grip. You can use a wire coat hanger to push under the rubber grip and break loose the glue. I got mine off without any damage.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #7

Added them on my '04, and recently to the '08 I just got. Warning! Use ALL of the glue supplied, I tried to use just enough on the first set, and a year later, had to get them to send me another tube (which they did, for free) and re glue on the left side. Once you start pushing the grip onto the glue on the left side, do not stop go for it! If you test fit it for burrs, etc, it is worth the time & effort, I used isopropanal alcohol as a lubricant to test fit several times prior to the big event. Good luck!

Old 08-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #8
Top Contributor

CJ: that left grip has a reverse thread on the end cap so most will mangle if you try to unscrew the normal way. Got mine off easily.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:46 PM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

It helped having those little T-Rex arms did it??

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 08-05-2009, 06:44 AM   #10

So, turn the end caps clockwise, correct, and the end caps should come off pretty easily? I will find something to slide under the left hand grip to loosen up the glue.

I am still a little weary of the cables on the right hand side, but I am sure once I start playing with it everything will make sense.

thanks everyone!

Brian

Old 08-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Endcap on one the left side. The whole grip slides off the throttle side, after you open the switch cover and remove the cables.
I reused the iso grips I had on my C50, they are the same part number for the Nomad. I put the stock grips back on before trading the C50. I used a thin coat of gorilla glue on the left side and it has held for over 1.5 years so far.
On the C50, I had to reglue after the first summer in AZ with the glue that came with the grips.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:14 AM   #12

Installed the ISO grips yesterday with no problem. On the left grip I took a long skinny flat head screwdriver and slid it under the stock grips rubber, but after about 5 minutes of busting up all that glue, the darn thing still didn't want to slide off, so I ended up cutting it with a razor afterall.

The ISO grips come with a spacer that you can put in the new grip, but this wasn't needed, as the new grip pushed very close to the end of the bar, perfect fit without using the spacer.

I helped to loosen the throttle cables before splitting the switch housing ALOT.

Overall, only took me about 20 minutes. Most of that time was spent trying to squeeze the "Death Grip" glue they provide from the tube. I ended up using a pair of pliers to squeeze the bottle....guess I need to work out more! :-/

Old 08-07-2009, 11:49 AM   #13

NO many here have thrown the glue that comes with the grips in the trash without even opening it and then using some other glue.