Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #1

2005 Nomad front wheel question

I had Avon Cobra's put on a 2005 nomad today.......while I was looking at it I noticed that the front tire was mounted backwards as the cobra's are unidirectional........looking further i noticed that the direction of the cut outs in the wheel were going in the wrong direction......(small end of cut out forward)......looking at the rear wheel the large end was forward.....as the rear wheel only has 1 disk and can't be reversed ,is it possible that the tire is mounted correctly and the wheel is mounted reverse.....is the distance on each side of the center of the hub the same on both sides with the spacer on the left side as you are facing the front wheel (to the right if you are sitting on the seat)....looking at stock pictures of the 05 it looks like the correct wheel direction is with the large end of the cutout forward.

If it is just the wheel i can change that w/o a 30 mile round trip.....if the tire is mounted wrong then I will make the trip.

Thanks for any feedback

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2009, 06:10 PM   #2

I believe it would be possible to just turn the wheel around, but, if I were you, I would take it back and have THEM turn it around. You'll have to make sure the discs line up with the calipers. I don't remember if the spacers are the same or not, but if you keep the left one on the left, and the right one on the right, I think all should line up.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #3

look at my sig. picture. I know my wheel is mounted correctly, see if your spokes are the same, if not, take it back and have them fix it for no cost.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
look at my sig. picture. I know my wheel is mounted correctly, see if your spokes are the same, if not, take it back and have them fix it for no cost.

thanks vulcan e......the spokes are just opposite of yours....it appears to be a reversed wheel

Old 08-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

If you have the stuff to drop the ft and flip it around do so if this is no big deal for you. Be sure to stuff a shingle or a hunk of card board in the calpers to prevent them from closing accidently if you bump the brake lever.

If you have a lift that leaves both wheels off the ground at the same time block the rear and lock the rear brake (tie it down)

If not go back and make them make it right.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
If you have the stuff to drop the ft and flip it around do so if this is no big deal for you. Be sure to stuff a shingle or a hunk of card board in the calpers to prevent them from closing accidently if you bump the brake lever.

If you have a lift that leaves both wheels off the ground at the same time block the rear and lock the rear brake (tie it down)

If not go back and make them make it right.

Thanks Mac...dropping a front wheel is no big deal.......just wasn't sure about spacing from hub center to brake caliper on each side......I am really not wanting to take it back since i have found other issues.....one of the pinch bolts had had a chisel or screwdriver taken to it to loosen it I guess and had a sharp point piece from the chisel cut sticking out about 1/4 inch from the bolt head...also a few small marks on the fork apparently from the hammer....I took an allen wrench and a cheater bar and it was no big deal to get out.....now I have to get a new bolt to replace it. i just wanted to make sure that there was no issue with reversing wheel. will not be taking the nomad or anything else back to them......just the mere fact that the tire was mounted and given to me going the wrong direction sends a very bad message to me.....despite the other items.

Old 08-20-2009, 04:38 AM   #7

I don't blame you for not wanting to take the bike back there, I would be kinda mad if thats how I picked up my bike. I found out that Im quite capable of wrecking my own stuff, I don't need to pay anyone to do it for me.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-20-2009, 08:14 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I don't blame you for not wanting to take the bike back there, I would be kinda mad if thats how I picked up my bike. I found out that Im quite capable of wrecking my own stuff, I don't need to pay anyone to do it for me.

i reversed the wheel this morning and everything is ok......i also found a newly installed wheel weight on the wheel even though i used dyna-beads....oh well live and learn

Old 08-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

WOW, I should guess not. The pinch bolt is a mere few foot pounds tight... I can't even guess why any burr would be raised.

Remove the metalic wheel weight!

The way I install the ft wheel is this:

A dob of antiseize goes on the left nut side of the fork on a 1600 nomad, so the greases bolt engages the anti seize as it is oushed intop place thru the greased spacers. I thing both spacers are the same.

The axel bolt is lightly greased more to prevent rust than any other reason.

The bolt is run into the threads, but before it gets torqued I set the bike down on the floor and hold the brake and bounce the frame as hard as i can several times.

Then I apply the torque wrench at 80 foot pounds and anti size the pinch bolt and install that, and not all that tight... No more than book spec. More forks and other pinch bolt applications parts are ruined for over tightening these bolts than just about any other items on bikes, except oil filters..

When everything it as tight as it should be I lift the bike once again and spin the wheel, pump up the brakes and look at everything related one more time.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
WOW, I should guess not. The pinch bolt is a mere few foot pounds tight... I can't even guess why any burr would be raised.

Remove the metalic wheel weight!

The way I install the ft wheel is this:

A dob of antiseize goes on the left nut side of the fork on a 1600 nomad, so the greases bolt engages the anti seize as it is oushed intop place thru the greased spacers. I thing both spacers are the same.

The axel bolt is lightly greased more to prevent rust than any other reason.

The bolt is run into the threads, but before it gets torqued I set the bike down on the floor and hold the brake and bounce the frame as hard as i can several times.

Then I apply the torque wrench at 80 foot pounds and anti size the pinch bolt and install that, and not all that tight... No more than book spec. More forks and other pinch bolt applications parts are ruined for over tightening these bolts than just about any other items on bikes, except oil filters..

When everything it as tight as it should be I lift the bike once again and spin the wheel, pump up the brakes and look at everything related one more time.

thanks Mac.......I have got it back in place....wheel weight removed....going riding now........will check back in.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #11

Just my opinion but you should let the shop where you had your work done know of the problems you had.
If you don't the same mechanic will make the same mistakes on other bikes.
When I discovered my pinch bolts were loose to point of almost falling out after I rode home from the dealer who changed my front tire I told them I was not happy with their work.
They fired the guy who put on my tire. It seems he made a few other mistakes with other bikes also.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-20-2009, 06:28 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Most shops don't do test rides.. The techs just can't ... So there should be a quality inspector, to over look things, but there never is...

When you go to a dealer see if you can see the shop, and look for the tools and the way the place is. Do not touch any tools because they belong one and all to the techs personally.

If the tech you get has a hand carry tool box, see if he has a main chest too, and if not don't let him work on yer bike!

If the techs tools appear to have been collected from the trunks of dead cars RUN...

My tools in SAE, Metric, and British Std are Snap On.. Most anyone with that line has been a tech a good while.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac