Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-25-2014, 09:10 PM   #1

Big-ish 3 question

Getting ready to BAK my 09 Nomad, I marbled my intake when I did the 2/3 debaffle this summer and was planning to coaster the AIS system when I installed the BAK but I am not seeing anyone do this. Is there a reason?
Also I am planning to move the air temp sensor to the neck, but is this desirable with a fuel controller?
and one more thing, I am really torn on going with an open K&N/chrome lid vs K&N under stock dog bowl, any pros/cons? I am not really worried about water.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #2
Top Contributor

I had the K&N under the stock dog bowl, a Chucksters intake.
With that BAK you leave the temp sensor in its original position.

Chucksters also makes an open K&N BAK

Old 12-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #3

yes it will be chuckster's for sure... just not sure which way I will go
I have gone through a couple hundred pages on different forums and I see where the sensor is relocated, It's not a big deal to do. I understand the theory that i makes the ECU deliver more fuel, but if your using a controller is it necessary or even desirable...

Old 12-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #4

FYI , any BAK that exposes the filter will add considerable noise from the intake. I found this annoying on long rides. The one with the original dog bowl is better but still noisy. I just changed mine out to a modified version of the spike type. The benefit are that the noise from the throttle body is muffled by the large elbow without sacrificing air flow .

As far as the temp sensor , if you don't have a big pinging problem, I'd leave the sensor where it is. JMO

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 12-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #5

Both my 1500 and the 1600 have the Thunder kit. The filter is out in the open. This has never been an issue and I've been through some Serious Heavy rain and some all day extended rain. Even washing the bike, it always starts right up. I've heard about the extra noise from intake when making these mods, but that hasn't been my experience. I only get a bit of extra noise when running wot, but mostly it's the pipes I'm hearing. Cruising, I can't say the intake is noisy. Of course, the solenoids are not there. I really like the open look since I have the Vulcan fire and steel original cover plates with the v on them. Rare as frogs hair, these things. I was fortunate to have two of them in the saddle bag of the 1500 when I bought it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-26-2014, 06:38 AM   #6
Top Contributor

There is more noise from the intake after installing a BAK on a 1700 than there is on a 1500/1600.