Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Images & Video

Old 05-07-2016, 07:53 PM   #1

Cruisin with 14" apes

Last year I was on a road trip and a friend of mine decided to swap bikes for awhile so I could get a taste of what it's like to ride with apes . I found his 16" to be a bit to high , but felt pretty cool and the handling was far from what I was used to . This winter I finally decided to bite the bullet and go all in . I new I always wanted the bars to be higher but not like his . So the list got started and the parts started arriving .

First set of bars where 12" Kromewerks ( 300012 ) put them on and pondered it for a day or so but it wasn't the right feel .

Second set where 14" bobber Kromewerks ( 300212 ) I had to purchase an extension ( 300100 ) because my bike does not have electronic cruise control . Perfect

The grips I ordered are Pro-one rail style grips . Love them , they look and feel great .

I ordered new throttle cables from Barnett ( 6" over ) . One call and they were on there way . These guys rock !!

All the steel braided hoses were done locally here and it only took 45 min . Two cups of coffee and I walked out shocked at how fast they were . These guys also rock !!

So over a period of a month on days off ( when my wife let me ) I finally got it done accept for the wiring . I'll get to it on a rainy day .

I ended up putting new break pads on both front and back cause I felt like it was time .

Now what do I think . I just got back from a three hour ride and my back , shoulders , wrists feel better than they ever did . The bike handles very well and I find steering the beast much easier than before .

All that time and $$$ was worth it . Now I have to do something about my sore butt !!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2016, 08:27 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Great information Barry, never really considered apes cause of all the work in rewiring everything but after this review, it'll be something to think about. Speaking of butts, I actually liked then stock seat but I'm starting to feel sore too after a few hours of riding. Thinking of going Mustang or maybe some other aftermarket.

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2004 vstar classic 1100 - traded for my first born
2006 Nomad 1600, black
Batwing fairing with full stereo
Vance & Hines dual baggers

Old 05-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #3

Yah I`m thinking mustang . I hear great things about them . I like it for the studs on the seat as well . Next year's project
When I had the 12" apes on I fitted everything I had with no problem . Everything would have fit but that wasn't the feel or look I was looking for .

Old 05-07-2016, 09:49 PM   #4

Sorry , I had forgotten to post pics .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 016.jpg (96.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg 011.jpg (98.4 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (97.1 KB, 88 views)

Old 05-07-2016, 10:23 PM   #5

Looks good Barry. I have to agree that the ape's make for a better ride. It takes a lot of the stress off the shoulders and neck.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
Second set where 14" bobber Kromewerks ( 300212 ) I had to purchase an extension ( 300100 ) because my bike does not have electronic cruise control . Perfect
I've been thinking about doing this.
Did the knurled part of the bars match the bikes clamps?
Was the 6" longer cable about right?
How much did you add to the brake and clutch lines?

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 05-07-2016, 11:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
Looks good Barry. I have to agree that the ape's make for a better ride. It takes a lot of the stress off the shoulders and neck.
I've got a bad rotator cuff that bothers me on occasion , gets kinda sore while I'm riding but today no issues at all . Time will tell on longer rides .

Old 05-07-2016, 11:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMan View Post
I've been thinking about doing this.
Did the knurled part of the bars match the bikes clamps?
Was the 6" longer cable about right?
How much did you add to the brake and clutch lines?
The knurled part fits perfectly where it should . I went 6" longer on the throttle cables and 6" on the top break line as well as the clutch hose . The front two break lines stayed the same . I must say that after changing all the factory break lines to steel braided I definitely see a huge difference in breaking . With no flex in the hose the breaks are more responsive .

Old 05-08-2016, 06:30 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Great information. Thx Barry

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 05-08-2016, 08:16 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Looks awesome bud!

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2006 Nomad 1600, black

Old 05-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #11

Great write up I have not rode all year . Dealing with the Ortho surgeon on neck & shoulder trying to come up with options without removing discs . But I will make it . Been spending time collecting good deals on acc. for the bike and looking into different bars and lighter helmets . Anyway Thank You for Sharing Your experience it Helps !!

Old 05-08-2016, 08:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanscott View Post
Great write up I have not rode all year . Dealing with the Ortho surgeon on neck & shoulder trying to come up with options without removing discs . But I will make it . Been spending time collecting good deals on acc. for the bike and looking into different bars and lighter helmets . Anyway Thank You for Sharing Your experience it Helps !!
I hope all goes well with you and you get back on the road . It's good that your spending time making your bike better to suit your needs . That's what it's all about .

Old 05-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #13
Advanced Member

Quote:
The biggest complaint after my sore butt, is sore neck and shoulders. I really like what you did here Barry and after reading the review I'll likely do this as a winter project . Was the recabling a huge PITA for someone that has minimal mechanic experience, or fairly straight forward?

I've done stuff like the tensioner extensions, I not afraid of getting dirty and love figuring this stuff out, but I also don't wanna get in over my head.

Never worked on the clutch or throttle. Any tips?

1984 shadow 750 - R.I.P.
2006 Nomad 1600, black

Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 AM   #14

It was all pretty straight forward . Just take your time and keep everything in order and layed out . Make notes if you have to .

The bottom break lines were a real PITA . There is a chrome piece that covers the " tree " that all three lines go . The right side was done easily enough but the left was a chore . I took some small bolts out from behind that piece and it still wouldn't come off . I used a 12mm wrench and barely got it in there to remove . As for putting the new line on ( a few tries at this ) I ended up using needle nose pliers to start the bolt then finished it off with the wrench . It was definitely a tight spot .

The throttle cables were pretty easy . I had to remove the clip that holds them both in place just above the throttle . The new cables are a bit different so I used a piece of copper wire a made a new clip . Then make your final adjustments so the throttle snaps back to idle . This takes some fine tuning when adjusting to make sure the butterflies are set where they need to be .

The clutch line was a piece of cake . I can't get over how long it is . I bought a length of hose ( washing machine ) and split it . Then wire tied it to various
spots were it might rub and ware the coating off the braided line . I thought it would be good to have some protection . I did the same thing with the rear break line as well . the steel braided lines are much smaller than the factory . I put the hose in various spots where you can't see it and then wire tied it to the frame .

Bleeding the system is definitely a two person job ....

Someday I'll get around to putting the wiring inside the bars . The weather has been to nice for the bike to just sit .

Old 05-08-2016, 07:05 PM   #15

Just an update : I just returned home from a very windy ride ( gusts up to 50 km/hr ) doing approx 60 to 70 mph . Even after that my shoulders feel the same as when I left .
I'm guessing that with stock bars your resting all your weight on your wrists and your shoulders are getting a pounding . IMO
Now , the bars I have now which are just below shoulder height take all the stress off everything and I find myself sitting in a more upright position .
No more numb hands , sore back , neck and shoulders .
Now if I could do something about my sore butt !! but that will have to wait .

Thanks to all who have left comments on my journey with my new apes .