Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-18-2008, 10:38 AM   #1

Venture Trunk question

I bought a 83 venture trunk and am repairing some cracks. Is the plastic that the backrest pad made of the same? I want to add a little to reshape it some but I am not sure if I can do it using the ABS cement method.

Does anyone know? Or should I just recreate it with fiberglass?

I would also like to make a pad to attach to the bottom section of the trunk below the stock backrest. Anyone done anything like that? Could you give me a template for the pad?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-18-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Venture Trunk question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I bought a 83 venture trunk and am repairing some cracks. Is the plastic that the backrest pad made of the same? I want to add a little to reshape it some but I am not sure if I can do it using the ABS cement method.

Does anyone know? Or should I just recreate it with fiberglass?

I would also like to make a pad to attach to the bottom section of the trunk below the stock backrest. Anyone done anything like that? Could you give me a template for the pad?
I don't know what the backrest form is made of for sure. I think it is just an "injected" plastic molding.

It should be easy enough to design your own "pad" to go under the stock backrest "pad". I'd get a piece of cardboard , put it in the position you want the pad,... draw it out on the cardboard for a template, cut it out and take it to a custom upholster. Or take the entire trunk in to the upholster might be even better. He/she can get the curvature of the trunk then and incorporate the screws to attach the pad to the trunk.

I didn't have a lower pad put in but I eliminated the handle on top of the trunk and told the upholster I wanted the new backrest to fill in where the handle was. He made a plastic piece to fill that gap and reupholstered the whole thing. Piece of cake. ;) I think that only cost $50.00. Well worth the $$$$. Looks great and it maches the seat and bag chaps pretty good I think.
Good luck let me know how things work out OP.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-18-2008, 04:16 PM   #3

Venture Trunk question

Yeah I already planned on that one. My wife took one look at the backrest and said "it's kind of short isn't it. So I figured I would work out a bottom piece too. Should be simple enough. So you took the whole trunk in to them?

Old 12-18-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Venture Trunk question

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
Yeah I already planned on that one. My wife took one look at the backrest and said "it's kind of short isn't it. So I figured I would work out a bottom piece too. Should be simple enough. So you took the whole trunk in to them?
Initially, yes I took the whole trunk in, just so there was no mistake about what I wanted done. He looked at it and took some measurements and I left with the trunk. He had it done in a week or so. I brought the trunk back, he installed it and that was that.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 12-29-2008, 02:08 PM   #5

Venture Trunk question

I've also thought about putting a pad down there, as it appears to be such a large gap down there with the chrome hand grips still on. It would help fill the gap, and hopefully provide some back support for my Precious Cargo.

Let me know what you come up with.

Dennis "Master Mac" McHenry
VROC#880, VBA#673, DarkSide#273
'15 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
'05 Vulcan 1600 Nomad (Left the nest)
'02 Vulcan 1500 Classic Fi (RIP)
'95 Vulcan 750, (Retired)
Houston/Klien, Tx

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2008, 02:30 PM   #6

Venture Trunk question

Master Mac how did you mount the trunk and keep the hand rails? I have not seen that done. I have a template for a full replacement bracket but nothing for keeping the rails which would be preferred. Can you send me a photo?

Old 12-29-2008, 02:57 PM   #7

Venture Trunk question

I bought it this way. He just used tubes as spacers in the handrails and screwed a bracket on to them. He said his wife liked the handrails and to keep them on there, which I'm glad he did.

I'll try to get pictures of it for you - don't let me forget. It's all painted black so may be hard to see in pictures.

Here's more of a side view, easier to see:

Houston/Klien, Tx

Old 01-04-2009, 01:47 PM   #8

Venture Trunk question

Thanks for the reminder OP.

This pic shows the spacer tube.

Bolts go through the spacer tube to a triangle shaped piece of metal which is bolted to a piece of angle iron. The trunk bracket is then bolted to the angle iron. I cut off the bar on the trunk bracket that went across the back of the passengar seat (I didn't like it across there) as it made it more difficult to get to the passenger pad bolt and I didn't want my wife having to lean against it. After I sawed it off I just filled the hole and painted it black.

Houston/Klien, Tx