Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 06-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to oz
Iron Butt Ride Report

My goodness, how early four thirty in the morning comes when you don't get to sleep until one am. Who's idea was it to start at five thirty??? Oh wait, it was mine.... I hate mornings. Just to clarify, I was up late from the excitement of attempting a 1000 mile ride. So now on to the story....

It was a cool mid 60's at five in the morning on saturday the 12th. Who would have guessed that it would be that cool considering we set a new record high of 110 less than a week ago. I met up with four other guys from several groups on this site at the pilot gas station on craig and pecos. We were going to attempt the saddlesore 1000 ride to become official members of the IBA. We filled up, took photographs, and headed out by five forty five towards our first stop... St. George.

The ride up the I-15 was the perfect start to the day. The sun was out in a partly cloudy sky. It gave some incredible views of sun and sunbeams breaking through the clouds and illuminating the desert. It truly was beautiful. The cool temperature wasn't even an issues cruising at 80 mph. At least it wasn't until we hit the first patch of light rain around Glendale, but that only lasted about five miles. We blew through Mesquite and headed into the Virgin River Gorge. The three of us that also ride rockets had to kick it up a notch around those curves just to prove our manhood, fearlessness, and giant child behavior... It was so worth it!!

We got into St. George at eight thirty for the first gas stop of the journey. It was also the first 20 minute break to keep the ride moving. Dammit!! I forgot sunblock... Need to find some in the gas station... Sweet!! Last tube they had... How lucky. So now that we've stretched our legs, filled up, applied sunscreen, and enjoyed some cancer stick... Let's get up to Panaca!!

Now let me say this... I am a super tough guy... at least that's what the ex's call me. I don't need any gloves yet, it's still rather nice out. Let's go... I'll be fine. At least until Pine Valley where it dropped 15 degrees and started a light rain. Pull over, my hands are cold and the rest of the guys already have theirs on... so laugh and point. Get back on the road and heading up the 18 with curvy roads and light rain was invigorating to say the least. I truly enjoy the challenging, technical riding. The kind that tests your knowledge of not only your bike but also yourself. Get through the rain and around to the state line where one guy couldn't hold it anymore and another needed two guys to help him put on his chaps... time to get a larger size... Hehehe. Back on the road and we were in Panaca in no time.

Now those of you who have been up to Panaca know what I mean when I say it is a no horse town, well maybe some horses, but not much else. At least there's a gas station and it's sandwich time. It hit the spot toooo!!!! I needed that and gas and some more cancer... damn you tobacco companies, damn you!!!! Hehehe. We got some advice from one of the country folk heading from Ely as to the weather... COLD, RAIN... WHAT!!! It's June dammit. Well, that's why I brought chaps and rain gear. Everyone donned their appropriate gear, all but the one guy who didn't even bring thermals. That was just funny as he didn't hear the end of that for a while... Hehehe.

Now we begin the trek up the 93 to Ely. Green fields and mountains as far as the eye could see. That mixed with incredibly low clouds. It made for a surreal sight considering this was the beginning of June and it is usually very sunny even up north of Vegas. It was a bit cold but totally enjoyable. Then we got up to the 50 and I swear it got even colder. Look!!... to the left, a bar in the middle of nowhere and I can't hold it anymore... at least not through the twisty mountain pass we still have to go through. Quick break and let's go... Oh great, more cold rain through the mountain pass. No big deal as we got though it and were in Ely in no time.

The break in Ely was interesting. We met a fellow rider who was heading to Vegas. He was looking for a friend of his so they could take gas to their friend that was out of gas north of Ely. Now that made me laugh as when I plan any bike trip, I make sure I know the distances between gas stations and carry extra gas just in case.... especially in this state, which is highly undeveloped. We also saw the steam train run through town, not something you see everyday. While interesting, that train whistle was loud as hell. I surely wouldn't want to live that close to the tracks if I had to listen to that everyday. Filled up, warmed up, cancered up... Let's get the hell up to Eureka.

WOW!!! more cold rain... wwooooo. Now I'm just tired of it, but push through, we have a mission to accomplish!! It wasn't heavy rain, just light and cold. It made the ride a little slower for safeties sake. Especially when we come up behind two riders that were doing a decent speed. That is, until a curve in which one of them misjudged the entry speed, damn near lost it, went of road, came back on, and damn near hit me... I mean REALLY!! Get past them and the rain let up as we approached Eureka... YAAAAYYY!!! Still cold dammit...

I need COFFEE!!! It's cold... And I am freezing. I feel really bad for the guy who was only wearing jeans, but still make fun of him... Hehehe. Good news though, he found some thermals at the hardware store across from the gas station. I did something that seemed incredibly brilliant at first then not so much. My gloves were cold and a little wet, so I thought it would be a smart idea to throw them in the microwave for a minute or so. Yeeeeaaahhhh... not so much as leather doesn't tend to like microwaves very much. Luckily it only burned a little of the leather. I also met the guy that almost took me out earlier. Nice guy from Germany over here since the weather would be nicer in the southwest part of the US... I couldn't stop laughing. As we were about to leave, a herd of Harleys pulled into the station. Let's get going before we get stuck behind them...

Head out on the 50 with a little rain, but within 20 miles, it was gone. The sun started to come out and the temp started to go up... Yippee!!! Going over the 50 and down the 376 is a loooonnnngggg stretch of road with nothing but with wide open fields and mountains as far as the eye could see. And I mean nothing... That is until this tiny little town popped up called Carvers. Carvers??? I didn't even know that was there... But there was gas and a quick fill for one of the guys that wasn't sure if he would make it all 160 mile from Eureka to Tonopah. The funniest part was a bar next to the gas station that looked similar to the new "Del Fuego's" bar in Wild Hogs.

Get down to Tonopah for the next stop on this adventure. Strange place. I couldn't quite put my finger on it... so Oh well. Stretch legs, gas up, more cancer, and another sandwich. We all decided to eliminate the stop in Benton since it was a bit later than we wanted it to be. We had extra gas with us as a precaution so it made sense. So let's saddle up...

The next stop now became the end of the June Lake loop at the intersection of the 158 and the 395. There’s a really nice little gas and convenience store right on the corner. Now the first 80 miles were nice… some desert, some mountain passes, some partly cloudy skies with sun and beautiful sunbeams, and so much warmer than it had been. With that said… we came to the 120. If you have never been on that stretch of road… DO SO!!! With all that we had been through so far, it was well worth the price of admission. It had to be the best part of the ride. Sandstone mountains, straight a-ways with great dips in the road for that roller coaster feeling, twists and technical riding that could push even the most skilled rider, through a wooded area with a canopy feel view of a giant lake… oh! It had to be one of the greatest roads I had ever been on… I mean it had everything a rider could want, need, whatever. It took us over to the June Lake loop. This was the perfect dessert from the main course of the 120. It took us around a picturesque three lakes, high mountains, a serene little town, and just visually stunning scenery. I even had two deer cross 100 feet in front of me… How often do you get that in Vegas???

Time for a stop at that little convenience store I mentioned earlier. It’s just a small little place right on the corner of two highways. It was very rustic in feel and super friendly staff. Not only did they have gas and facilities, they had a lapel pin that said June Lake… Bonus!!! Talk about the great cappuccino after a perfect meal and dessert. The girl even came out to photograph us as well before we left. Super nice girl… and cute too… Hehehe. Alright… It’s getting late… Let’s GO!!!

Heading down the 395 as the sun was setting was a bit cool in temp but even more so in view. The way the sun played off the mountainous surroundings was simply breathtaking. I love riding in that kind of scenery, but alas… it was getting too dark to see all of the surrounding area. So time to start pushing it up a bit to make up a little time and get down to Lone Pine.

Lone Pine is something alright. I had to go to a separate gas station than the others as I misplaced my credit card the night before. The station I stopped at had to be where all the stupid ass kids and crack monkeys had to hang out at. There’s nothing like watching sheer stupidity while trying to get gas and stretch your legs. Only in California is all I could say to myself. The others joined me and we took off towards Beatty through Death Valley.

As we approached Death Valley and sea level, the temp just kept going up. It was nice to finally have some warmth on this endeavor… even if it was at 10 at night. As far as the ride itself… Let me tell you about the challenges of pushing an extremely curvy road in pitch blackness. Adrenaline flows freely as you push through some of the curves with no guardrails and 50 foot drops. Skydivers have nothing on us… And I am an experienced skydiver. It was exhilarating to push through some of those curves at a higher than recommended speed (do not try at home). I mean how often do you get to do that with no cops or tourists on the road? So we pass through Furnace Creek and come to the Beatty cut off. I look behind and realize we’ve lost one. UH-OH… Let’s pull over and wait for him. Ten minutes later we see a headlight in the distance and once he pulls up… He gets a round of applause. In no time, we were in Beatty.

Last stop in Beatty…almost home. Fells so good to know we’re on the last hundred or so miles. While we’re gassing up, the town Jackass pulls up in his Camaro. It’s after midnight and he just can’t stop revving his engine as loud as possible. Some people are just too cool for me… or should be hit with a stick several times in the head. But I’m not a violent person… Hehehe. Everyone’s ready to hit the road so let’s get this trek done!

We were heading down the 95 on the final leg of this mission. It was way later than I had anticipated, but this was well worth it. I mentally patted myself on the back for being this close to completion and that nothing was really in the way from stopping us from finishing. As we approached the Pahrump cutoff… One of the guys blew by me flashing his lights and honking his horn. I knew exactly what that meant… 1000 miles in less than 24 hours… WOOOOHOOOOO!!!! Now we’re on the home stretch, 50 miles to go until we get to Vegas.

Pull into the last gas station for completion of the ride at 245 AM. Waaaayyyy later than I anticipated, but who cares… they’ll be time for sleep tomorrow. Now, it’s time for high fives, handshakes, and pats on the back. We finished what we set out to do and will be members of the IBA before too long.

I want to thank Jeff, Lorenzo, Jose, and John for joining me on this adventure. It had everything a great ride should. Beautiful scenery, rain, sun, darkness, challenge, adrenaline, laughter, and most importantly… New friends. I look forward to riding with you guys again.

Epilogue-

During this trip… I took over 200 photographs. Some while riding and others at the stops we took. The photos came out great for most of the shots. Now the bad news… when I attempted to upload them into my computer, the damn card was corrupted and none of them were transferable… DAAAAAMMMMMNNNNN!!!!! Oh well… I have plenty of mental pictures. Even one of two guys helping another put his chaps on… you know who you are and all I can say is… Time to buy a larger size… Hehehe.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-18-2010, 05:50 AM   #2

Iron Butt Ride Report

Thanks for the write up. Sounds like you had a great time and proved something to yourself.
We are doing an IBA ride in July so it helps to hear about other riders doing it.
Congrats

Old 06-18-2010, 06:45 AM   #3

Iron Butt Ride Report

Great writeup. Thanks for sharing, and Congratulations

Old 06-18-2010, 07:21 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Iron Butt Ride Report

Congratulations on the completion of your mission. That was some adventure but I bet you are glad it is finished.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 06-24-2010, 02:02 AM   #5

Iron Butt Ride Report

Congrats on the accomplishment. It is a grueling but fun deal when you do a SS1000. I did one with my wife as a passenger and one with MikeInFLA as a riding partner (he rides a 1600). That was a cold ride but a fun one.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #6

Iron Butt Ride Report

Congratulations!! I agree, everyone should ride CA 120 at least once.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 07-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #7

Iron Butt Ride Report

Nice job!!! I did an IBA ride last year. It was fun and I'm glad I was able to check it off my bucket list while I'm young.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 07-03-2010, 07:38 AM   #8

Iron Butt Ride Report

Thats a great writeup about your trip. Someday Im thinking of attempting an IB ride. I probably incorporate it into attending a rally, and just ride until I arrive.
I guess a lot of it is frame of mind, some days a couple hundred miles seems to be a lot, and other days I could go on forever.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951