Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-20-2009, 07:24 PM   #1

Looking for a new exhaust help!!

I have removed my baffles on my 1600 and love the low bellow it makes in low gears at cruising speed, but really disappointed in the upper end and getting on the throttle at any speed or parked it just sounds like a rice grinder. Needless to say I had the cobra drag pipes on my last 1500 vulcan L and loved the attention it got because of it. I am having trouble finding any sort of louder pipes for my nad. Have looked at the roadhouse, V/H, and Cobras on youtube but none really sound much beter than what I have. I love the Duals look from behind and right and left side because my old bike only had one pretty side and thats one thing that drew me close on my my purchase of the Nomad. Anybody have any ideas or mods? Thanks in advance!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Advanced Member

The "Ultimate Baffle" designed for the Vance and Hines exhaust seems to be getting rave reviews. That might be an option for you- provided you can find someone to make the unique baffles which have a considerable amount of machine work in them. Drawings and measurements for the baffles were included somewhere in a post....

Old 04-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Advanced Member

You also haven't heard the Dooleys live. Video cameras give you an idea but that's about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:01 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Read this entire thread.....all 7 pages so far....haha. It may help you decide...(or not).... ;). Good luck in your search!

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=9473
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
Advanced Member

I got the V & H las year and really like them, got the ultimate baffles and just need to install them as soon as i get a chance

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2009, 06:00 AM   #6

I have V&H exhaust and I think it sounds better than stock with no baffles.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Top Contributor

+1

Old 04-22-2009, 07:35 PM   #8

I like my V&H alot better than stock

Old 04-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #9

Pipe sound, or noise, is just one of those personal choice things. Sound is only a part of the motorcycle experience.

The big Harley sound is what I want. There I said it. Everyone can jump on me for saying it, or for uttering anything good about a Harley. I like that sound, please forgive my honesty. :-[

To be fair, I have heard some Big piped Yamaha's that sounded sweet to me too. I thought the Nomad single pin crank could produce virtually the same sound as the Harley or Yamaha. But I was wrong again. The Nomad has a hard time sounding throaty and usually sounds tinny at idle. Oops there I go again.

I have friends that have V&H and Cobras on their Nomads. They don't sound near as good as a piped Harley or Yamaha, IMO. I believe they agree, or they would not be searching for that perfect golden machined baffle for their $500 aftermarket pipes.

The best sound I have heard from a Nomad is from Roadhouse pipes. But they dont look as good as stock and are still not worth the cost to me, IMO.

I will keep looking and when I find a Nomad that sounds more like a Harley, I will buy those kind of pipes for mine. Until then, I will run my stock blowndodge debaffled pipes.

I have owned a Harley and ridden many. As much as I like their sound, noise is not that important to me. I was more concerned with the comfort, value, quality, warranty of the Nomad.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:16 PM   #10

agreed one thing that kawasaki needs to work on is sound other than that the best bike out there not only for the money but comfort and style!! Not saying it has to sound like a harley but more like a motorcycle that is 1600cc's

Old 04-24-2009, 07:00 AM   #11

I have Vance and Hines and it does not sound like a Harley. Although it now sounds like it should , like a V-TWIN engine.
I did remove the baffles , cut some of the packing off , re-wrap them real tight, Wrap foil tape around the packing and reinstalled them. The pipes dont sound like any of the Harleys that i have had but they sound good to me. Its all in what you think sounds good to you. I would suggest getting the Vance and Hines. You can change the sound several different ways. I have had several good comments from some of the guys i ride with about how good they sound. A couple of them have Harleys.

Old 04-24-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
Pipe sound, or noise, is just one of those personal choice things. Sound is only a part of the motorcycle experience.

The big Harley sound is what I want. There I said it. Everyone can jump on me for saying it, or for uttering anything good about a Harley. I like that sound, please forgive my honesty. :-[

To be fair, I have heard some Big piped Yamaha's that sounded sweet to me too. I thought the Nomad single pin crank could produce virtually the same sound as the Harley or Yamaha. But I was wrong again. The Nomad has a hard time sounding throaty and usually sounds tinny at idle. Oops there I go again.

I have friends that have V&H and Cobras on their Nomads. They don't sound near as good as a piped Harley or Yamaha, IMO. I believe they agree, or they would not be searching for that perfect golden machined baffle for their $500 aftermarket pipes.

The best sound I have heard from a Nomad is from Roadhouse pipes. But they dont look as good as stock and are still not worth the cost to me, IMO.

I will keep looking and when I find a Nomad that sounds more like a Harley, I will buy those kind of pipes for mine. Until then, I will run my stock blowndodge debaffled pipes.

I have owned a Harley and ridden many. As much as I like their sound, noise is not that important to me. I was more concerned with the comfort, value, quality, warranty of the Nomad.
Billmac,
I'm not gonna lie....I love that sound too. The" Ultimate Baffle" for the V&H pipes that has been talked so much about here comes about as close to that killer potato putt sound as anything I have ever heard on a Nomad. It sounds nearly identical to a HD at idle.... . See what you can do to find someone to make you a set....you won't be sorry (assuming you already have the V&H)... :-/!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 04-24-2009, 08:56 PM   #13

Has anyone decided to frabricate these ultimate baffles or sell a set yet?

Old 04-25-2009, 03:19 AM   #14

I plan on purchasing an aggressive slip on designed for Harley and attaaching it to my cobra head pipes. Just waiting for the right price on Ebay. Also the Cobra long duals seem to be about the beefiest from the sound files I have heard. Even more so than the V&H. Someone on here has a set of them and likes them, but they do put both the pipes on one side.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:11 PM   #15

I took my debaffled pipes and opened it up enough to slip a 1 3/4 OD, 3 inch long piece of pipe in the end. Before I slipped it in, I drilled holes and welded a 3/8" bolt in the middle (like the ultimate baffle). It seems to have lowered the tone (a bit deeper) but it doesn't seem as loud or tinny to me as the stock debaffle. I plan on mounting some chrome turn out tips on it if I can find them to fit the 1 3/4 pipe. I left it sticking out about 1" so I can slip the chrome tips over it and tap the inner pipe for a screw. I'll try and post pictures tomorrow.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles