Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 05-24-2021, 10:58 AM   #1

No Electrical Power Bike NO Start

****Update 2: Never mind I found a youtube video on how to use a Multimeter. Sometimes I just have to right it out to get my focus"
For others that may not know here is the video.

*****UPDATE: This has been solved. I checked the battery connection and at first it looked like both positive and negative were connected. But after further inspection of the positive terminal, the screw although seemed to be tight was actually not in the threaded hole. I tightened down positive terminal this time making sure it was being screwed into the threaded hole, and the bike started right up."
Still looking to check for voltage leek. I have a multimeter but not sure what setting to put it on to test for for any current leaving the battery when it is powered off.
Any suggestions. Thanks

Hello everyone hope everyone is getting some good riding in now that COVID is almost over.
I used to be on this forum under a different name and different email which I can no longer remember. Yah its been a while.
Anyway here is my situation I hope someone can help\steer me in the right direction before I take it to the Mechanic.

The other day I went for a ride, after going a few miles I remembered I forgot my camera, so I went back home and got my gopro. The battery was dead, so I plugged it into my cigarette lighter, also plugged in was my phone. Normally I start the bike first before I plug anything in but was in a hurry and I forgot. Anyway, I turned it on, and it did its usual start up sequence, lights came on, speedometer cycled through etc… I hit the starter button and there was a POP and then NO POWER. NO lights no nothing. See attached video NO POWER. I checked all the fuses, the Main 30 Amp fuse and all other fuses all of them are good. Through out the day I tried turning it on and it was the same NO POWER, no lights no Speedometer doing its thing, not even my light bar which can be a manual switch on and off would turn on.
So yesterday I tried it again and guess what it powered on, lights came on and the speedometer went through its sequence. I hit the starter and well watch video “Bike_Power_No_Start.mp4” (Sometimes). What I mean by sometimes is that after I hit the starter button the electrical power shuts off, and only after a few hours will it go back to normal powerup sequence with the same results.
Bike Deets
2006 1600 FI Nomad
47,000 miles
After Market Cobra Light Bar installed. I have this manually powered off before starting and after riding.
Aftermarket Cigarette Lighter power adapter, which is connected directly to the battery.
Aftermarket LED Glow Light system which is connected via the Ignition.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Bike No Power

Bike Power No Start

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Greybeard; 05-24-2021 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Found a Youtube Video

Old 05-24-2021, 11:16 AM   #2
Top Contributor

How old is the battery on the bike ? Sounds like its pooched.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Thanks for your response.
Battery is brand new and does look to be the problem. Just checked connections and the Positive terminal the screw was not set deep in the socket and had come loose, actually it wasn't even in the threaded hole lol. I tightened it down and BAM it started right up. I'm an idiot. LOL.
But I do want to check for voltage leak as I'm sure there is a short someplace.
I have a multi meter but not sure what to set it to, to see if current is leaving the battery when it is off.
Any idea's?

Old 05-24-2021, 12:03 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Neverminded I found a YouTube video lol

Old 05-24-2021, 12:05 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Sounds like you found the problem.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Good video, I learned enough to chase a battery draw issue on a buddy's bike.

Also, didn't know George Clooney had a cousin working in a car show. Who wudda thunk that?

Old 05-25-2021, 12:59 AM   #7

Glad you figured it out by yourself... We were never gonna help you since you left without a second thought or a glance backwards anyway, & only came back when you wanted something...

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Tags
no electrical power, no power-no panel lights, no start