Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 PM   #1

How soon can I switch to Synthetic

I just completed my first service for my new Nomad.
Have 688 miles.
I went ahead and switched to Synthetic oil in the engine and in the Final Gear Case.
I used Mobile 1 V Twin 20/50 for the engine
I used Mobile 75/90 Synthetic Gear Lubricant for the Final Gear Case.

Was it too early to switch to Synthetics......Kinda late to ask now...But it's done.
What do you guys think...Is it OK?

Thanks
Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Yes, you are fine with synthetic now Doug, in my opinion.....there was a lengthly discussion on this a while back on one of the threads...I'll try to dig it up......there are others that might disagree.....but I switched early and it's all good.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 05-20-2008, 10:14 PM   #3

You should be fine. A lot of guys on here have switched at the 600 mile mark.
Did you do the service or the dealer? There is a drain plug on the left side ( sitting on the bike) of the engine where most of us that do our own oil changes drain the oil. There is a screen in there that on the first change has some funky stuff. I don't think the majority of the dealers take the screen out and clean it.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #4

It is better to switch early, while all the seals and gaskets are in good shape. The syn. oils really keep the insides clean, and if you have an older bike (thats been running dino) that has a gasket that may leak, but is not due to build-up inside the engine, when you switch to the syn. oil, it will clean it, and then you may have a leak that wasn't there before.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-20-2008, 10:48 PM   #5

I switched early, and women seem to notice me more now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-20-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I raced my Nomad most of the way home from the dealer the day I bought it. Drained the oil the next day and dumped 20/50 V-twin Mobil 1 oil. Bike has been quiet as a kitten since then. Doesn't use oil at all. Time for it's 3rd oil change. You've done the right thing. Don't let Cadd tell you otherwise!! LOL !!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 PM   #7

Thankyou for the replys.
I did drain the oil via the screen...it was pretty clean..will check again next time.
Yes I did do the First Service myself on this bike. I really do trust myself more than I trust the techs at the Dealerships to know that everything has been done and everything has been checked that is supposed to be. Afterall....I'm the one that rides it everyday up and down the highway at 70+ mph.
Have had too many bad experiences with others doing work on my stuff over the years...Kinda makes me loose trust in others that punch a clock and could care less about someone elses property......Anyway

The Question that always comes to mind is::: Will my warranty be effected by NOT letting a Kawasaki Dealer do my First Service.
Well....If you ask a Dealership Service Manager....You will get Different answers depending on what Dealership you call...and who you talk to.....I called three...One said that they have to do it and the other two said that it was highly reccomended.
So I call the folks at Kawasaki Cutomer Care....I called twice at different time to be sure and not talk to the same person.....They said .... Absolutly Not will your warranty be effected by doing your own Service(including the first service). Just document everything and keep receipts. That's what the OWNER'S MANUAL is for...
They said documentation can be logged into the Owner's Manual and/or a separate Log Book.

So .....Again I'm am raving on...Sorry
Thanks for the replys
Doug

Old 05-21-2008, 08:04 AM   #8

I'll be the lone dissenter on changing to syn at 600 miles.

A number of years back, I bought a new Buick and changed it to Mobile1 at 500 miles. I changed it several more times, always using syn, until I had about 15k miles. I had to make a quick trip and didn't have the time to go find Mobil1 so I used something like Pennzoil.

It was hot and humid, running 70 - 75 mph. Stopped to get gas and when I went to restart, it was close to seized up.. wouldn't crank. When I raised the hood it was obviously hot, yet the idiot light never came on. I let it sit a while and cool down for about an hour. It cranked, fired up, lifters clattered for a bit, then it quieted down and ran fine. Never another problem after that. I later talked to a mechanic friend about it. The only thing he could figure was the syn hadn't allowed it to break in. I did the break in running at 75mph for 100 miles on a 100 degree day.

Modern technology and mfg methods may have very well changed so that is no longer a problem, but since then I've always waited until 4k-5k before changing to syn.

btw, if you know Kevin and Nancy Cooper there in Refugio, say hello.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 AM   #9
Advanced Member

I did my own first service and put in all synthetic oil at that time. No problems at all. I agree with doing it early if you're going to do it. Changed over on an older bike and it started leaking from everywhere. Had to replace a load of gaskets. Best doing it early.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:05 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

McDaddy, it wasn't the oil that caused that to happen...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFUGIO
Thankyou for the replys.
The Question that always comes to mind is::: Will my warranty be effected by NOT letting a Kawasaki Dealer do my First Service.
Well....If you ask a Dealership Service Manager....You will get Different answers depending on what Dealership you call...and who you talk to.....I called three...One said that they have to do it and the other two said that it was highly reccomended.
So I call the folks at Kawasaki Cutomer Care....I called twice at different time to be sure and not talk to the same person.....They said .... Absolutly Not will your warranty be effected by doing your own Service(including the first service). Just document everything and keep receipts. That's what the OWNER'S MANUAL is for...
They said documentation can be logged into the Owner's Manual and/or a separate Log Book.

So .....Again I'm am raving on...Sorry
Thanks for the replys
Doug
REFUGIO ...that's good info to pass along. Most people just assume one way or the other without verifying!! I too check and got the same reply...thus I've been doing my own and will continue to do so. Just for grins the other day, I asked the Service Mgr. at my local shop what all is involved at a 7K change. He said basically all they do it check nuts & bolts for tightness, change fluids and that's about it. You could imagine my surprise when he said the cost is around $175!!! I told him I've been doing my own servicing and how I check all through the Nomad everytime... and he said to save my $$ and just keep doing what I'm doing. Since I keep good records of changes and such, it's good that MawKaw isn't going to make us use their dealerships!

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 AM   #12

<blockquote>McDaddy, it wasn't the oil that caused that to happen...</blockquote>

Maybe, maybe not .. in those days Buick wasn't associated with new or current technology.

Here is what Mobil Oil says ...
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ics/Myths.aspx
<blockquote>One of the myths surrounding synthetic oils is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. The fact is, current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design the high-performance cars listed above, Mobil 1 can be used starting the day you drive the car off the showroom floor.
</blockquote>