Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-15-2009, 04:05 AM   #1

Premeux Trunks

Hi guys, looking to purchase a Premeux trunk for my 2008 Nomad and was interested to know how many other riders out there have them and if they are happy with them. Is the quality there for the price and is the backrest comfortable for your passenger. Intend on cruising across Australia with my wife and will be on the the road for about 35 to 40 days.
In Australia the only top boxes you can source locally are nothing like you guys have access to in the USA and with the cost of shipping there is little difference between buying the items separately and building them yourself or buying the box painted and ready to bolt straight on.
Would appreciate any feedback about the Premeux trunks at all

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2009, 04:59 AM   #2

Premeux Trunks

I have seen them first hand before. They are very well built, and the paint is spot on. I would have went with one, but I did get a real good deal on the HD.
You won't be disatisfied with the Premeux trunk.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 09-15-2009, 07:30 AM   #3

Premeux Trunks

I have the Premeux fairing and lowers and they are very well built and come nicely painted to match your bike. The trunk is a clone of the Harley Tour Pak and Ive seen a couple on other bikes with them installed and they are quite pleased with them.
If you can get a Harley trunk from an Ultra Classic you will get the built in tailights and sidemarker lights in it as well, its great for added lighting at night.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-15-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Premeux Trunks

I have the complete set - very well built! The fibreglass is very well done. I prefer the fibreglass over the newer plastic trunks & fairings.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Premeux Trunks

I opted to 'save' some money by buying a trunk from Scootworks and having it painted, and I can say without reservation if I had it to do over again, I would just go with the Premeux trunk.

By the time the paint shop got done trying to match the red paint, and my time spent disassembling and reassembling and reinforcing the fiberglass by the hinges, I haven't saved much, and I"ve spent a hell of a lot more time fooling around.

Right now I'm on a bike trip to ND, and the threads on one of the latches stripped out- (no, they didn't vibrate out) so I'm holding the trunk shut with a bungee cord. Looks really f'n cute. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Go with the Premeux.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-15-2009, 02:25 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Premeux Trunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410
I opted to 'save' some money by buying a trunk from Scootworks and having it painted, and I can say without reservation if I had it to do over again, I would just go with the Premeux trunk.

By the time the paint shop got done trying to match the red paint, and my time spent disassembling and reassembling and reinforcing the fiberglass by the hinges, I haven't saved much, and I"ve spent a hell of a lot more time fooling around.

Right now I'm on a bike trip to ND, and the threads on one of the latches stripped out- (no, they didn't vibrate out) so I'm holding the trunk shut with a bungee cord. Looks really f'n cute. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Go with the Premeux.
That should be an easy fix on the latch when you're back in town. I'd complain to Scootworks and see if they'll send you another set.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-15-2009, 04:25 PM   #7

Premeux Trunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by billz410

If its the same latch as the Harley Tour Pak, the threads strip out on some, especially if you overload the trunk and force the lid down to close it. Its a well known problem with them.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-15-2009, 05:35 PM   #8

Premeux Trunks

try this one http://www.tsukayu.com/TouringTrunk.htm i have it so far so good

Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Premeux Trunks

CJ and ringadingh:

I've already called Scootworks and am having them send new latches to ND so I can install before I head back. They asked how I had the trunk loaded, and I have to admit I did have 'er jammed in there good, so I am probably to blame.

The trunk has been a really frusterating project for me, so I wanted to blame somebody or something!

I've looked at the HD latch. It appears exactly the same as Scootworks- except HD uses a seperate 'lock' to secure the trunk. The Scootworks version has a type of 'skeleton' key lock built into each latch. I thought maybe the HD latch would be a 'quality' latch, so was surprised to hear of issues, but I guess when you try to put 10 lbs of xxxx in a 5 lb bucket, you get stripped threads- and that's my fault.

All I know is I can't handle going down the road with a bungee cord holding the trunk lid shut!

I'm thinking of trying to 'stuff' some JB weld down in the thread holes before putting the little bolt in- maybe that would give the bolt a little more to hold onto. My 'clever' ideas usually end up making an even bigger disaster.....

Didn't mean to steal your thread, gavman.

Old 09-15-2009, 11:11 PM   #10

Premeux Trunks

They are very small bolts that hold the latches on, one of mine stripped out earlier this summer because I overloaded the trunk. Thats really good of them to send you out new latches. You learn something new everyday, just don't make the same mistakes over again.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #11

Premeux Trunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
They are very small bolts that hold the latches on, one of mine stripped out earlier this summer because I overloaded the trunk. Thats really good of them to send you out new latches. You learn something new everyday, just don't make the same mistakes over again.

What screws/latches are Y'all talking about? Are you talking about the latches that hold the lid closed? On my trunk, ('02 HD Ultra Classic) the latches and hinges are secured on with rivets. When I painted my trunk, I had to drill them out so I could strip it down. After the painting was finished, I carried it to a HD dealership, and let them re-rivet them all back on (you have to have a special tool to install the HD rivets). Haven't had any problems with them, and I've had it stuffed pretty good a few times.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 09-16-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Premeux Trunks

Ya Vulcan- it's the latches that hold the trunk lid closed.

I haven't looked at how the latches are secured on a NEW HD, but apparently some were fastened to the trunk lid with small bolts- very small.

The Scootworks trunk uses a copy of the HD latch assembly, except the Scootworks latch has a lock built into the latch itself.

I guess I must have been trying to stuff too much stuff in the trunk. I don't think I was abusing it though. A lesson learned for next time. :)

Old 09-16-2009, 08:01 AM   #13

Premeux Trunks

There are two or three styles of the HD latches, some are bolts, some are rivets. I have both .My hinges are riveted,latches are bolted. I think my Tour Pak is an 02 also. You can find them on Ebay all the time if you ever need some replacements, and it shows you how to choose the correct parts.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-16-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Premeux Trunks

I have a Premeux Tour Pack and I really like it a lot... :)! It is really built well and the best thing about it is that once it arrives at your house, it is only about a 20 minute bolt on and down the road you go . You will have to add your own additional lighting though. I added an LED lightbar from ChromeGlow on the rear of the trunk. Serge is a straight-up guy to work with too....good customer service! Two thumbs up!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 09-17-2009, 12:25 PM   #15

Premeux Trunks

Hi again guys.....I've never seen the screws you guys are talking about, but...is it possible to drill out the screws, and put a small backing plate, and nyloc nuts on them? Just a suggestion...like I said, never seen them.....

Bobby