Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 09-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Hopefully just the battery

I bought my Classic 1600 last July and it always started fine, even after sitting for weeks, even after sitting through cold winter storage (yeah, I was lazy and didn't remove the battery). This past July I went to the storage building to ride it and, nothing, no crank, zip. Even though two weeks earlier it started just fine, not even slow cranking. I tried a jump battery and nothing, like a battery wasn't even there in the bike. So I got a new Caltric AGM sealed battery, installed it and it cranked/started right up. Perhaps the old battery (in the bike when I bought it, no idea of the number of years on it) just failed open internally. I'll try charging it and load testing it before sending it to the recycler.

Question: does anyone know of any 1600 issues that would cause a sudden battery fail? I do have to check the spotlights wiring in the headlight bucket. I have noticed the spots go out sometimes when I turn the handlebar full to the stops. Other than that nothing else.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by andyvh1959; 09-03-2019 at 11:53 AM.

Old 09-03-2019, 03:38 PM   #2

Probably a bad ground for the running lights. Run a ground wire from the lights to the frame of the bike. If it's grounded in the head light bucket the current goes thru the steering head bearings, Not good.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 09-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #3

Check to see if the battery is getting charged with a meter. My bike had the same happen as you describe, and I found that it was not charging. I found some melted wires from the stator behind the LH engine cover.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 09-03-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Some good tips, I check those out. Thanks.