Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 05-27-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Something to ponder

As I was riding to Tucson yesterday it was just me and the open road. I had a lot of time to think about philosophical stuff, like this for example...

I see a lot of vehicles - mostly trucks, and the occasional car, with Harley Davidson stickers on them. I started thinking, "how many of these people actually own a Harley", and then taking it to the next level: "how many of these people actually ride anything at all"? I have a Denver Broncos sticker on my Bronco (go figure), that doesn't mean I am a professional football player. But it seems to me a Harley sticker is much more personal than an NFL/NASCAR/NBA sticker on a vehicle.

It's a rhetorical question, there's no answer to it. Just something to think about.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Something to ponder

I think a lot, but not all, of the people with the Harley decals and stickers on their vehicles (and even the Harley special edition model of the Ford pick up truck) are just attempting to identify with the "biker" image. I believe it makes them feel good to think that when people see their stickers they will be impressed. I imagine that this is the underlying foundation of the entire marketing industry in selling "branded" clothes, hats, golf bags, etc. Nothing wrong with any of this in my opinion but it is an interesting pyschological aspect of the ego.

Cheers,
Bob

P.S. I like your new sig pic!

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 05-27-2008, 03:49 PM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Something to ponder

Things that make you go hummmmmmmm?? LOL!

It's funny you posted that CJ...I was thinking the exact same thing the other day. It was Sunday... clear and sunny out. I was at the corner store and parked next to a Harley Ford Truck.... it was their special edition truck...and of course, the guy had a couple more window stickers added. The thought I had was this.... gorgeous day... gas prices through the roof... why's he driving a F250/350 Diesel instead of the HD he so covets and publicizes?? Went in..and they guy was at the counter, buying smokes and lotto tickets...you guessed it...wearing a HD hat!!! That was it...headed out and jumped in his truck and drove off.... I dunno.... I was on my Nomad...that's for sure!!!

in addition...just read Bob's post...made me think some more!!! LOL! To identify with their "mentality"....I'll put some Smith & Wesson, Glock, Colt, SigSauer Arms, H&K, and Browning stickers all over my vehicles...so people will think I've got an arsenal!!! LOL!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #4

Something to ponder

I have always wondered the same thing. I have a teacher (pretty blonde thing by the way) here that calls me "Harley Guy" and I always tell her "no, that would be Mr. K. I'm a Nomad guy." She still wants to ride with me...but I'm afraid I'd be living out of the side bags if I did.

I guess my point is that everyone seems to think H/D when they think motorcycle. That and I am one hot old fat dude on a Nomad, lol.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 05-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Something to ponder

I was wondering the same thing.
I have a kid on the bus and he said I saw you on your harley. I told him no you didn't I don't have a harley, he ask then what do you have, I told him something better, a kawasaki nomad. No more response from the wiseass snot nose kid.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-27-2008, 04:19 PM   #6

Something to ponder

I've ridden a few borrowed Harleys, but I've never owned one. I have really never had a lot of friends that were Harley guys either, but I've had three neighbors with Harleys that I knew pretty well.

My impression is this: When it comes to motorcycles they are very dedicated owners. They're not all that dedicated as riders. To me a motorcycle represents daily transportation, (if it's not pouring rain.) To them a motorcycle represents a toy to play with when they get the urge.

Now Macmac's owned Harleys before, and he was a professional auto mechanic for over 20 years, so I trust his judgement a lot. When I asked him how he felt about the Nomad after being a Harley guy, he told me: "Compared to the Nomad, a Harley is just a toy." So that bears out my impressions fairly well.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #7

Something to ponder

I find that my pals with HD's are also very loyal to the brand and will own nothing else. They use there bikes as weekend toy's whereas Im on mine almost every day until the snow flies. I have a brotherinlaw who travels a fair bit, and occasionally he brings me a HD T shirt, ( they are nice shirts). The accessories that they have licenced are mind boggling, Im sure a lot of company's would love to have that great a following.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to jussmatt
Something to ponder

My deal is I have nothing wrong w/ HD. If ya like them fine....if not..fine. I made my decision, and good for anybody else who does the same. I just have to laugh at all the "sticker" people...and Special Edition Truck owners...who not only don't have one... they've don't ride ANYTHING!?!?! Just find that kind of funny is all.... It would amount to me going out and putting a Scarrab (how ever you spell it) or Bayliner sticker on my truck when not only do I not have a boat....I'VE NEVER OWNED ONE!!!! LOL!

Old 05-28-2008, 03:20 AM   #9

Something to ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
As I was riding to Tucson yesterday it was just me and the open road. I had a lot of time to think about philosophical stuff, like this for example...

I see a lot of vehicles - mostly trucks, and the occasional car, with Harley Davidson stickers on them. I started thinking, "how many of these people actually own a Harley", and then taking it to the next level: "how many of these people actually ride anything at all"? I have a Denver Broncos sticker on my Bronco (go figure), that doesn't mean I am a professional football player. But it seems to me a Harley sticker is much more personal than an NFL/NASCAR/NBA sticker on a vehicle.

It's a rhetorical question, there's no answer to it. Just something to think about.

I know what rhetorical is so I'm not responding, just letting you know, I'm pondering .................................................. ......

Old 05-28-2008, 08:03 AM   #10

Something to ponder

Never owned a Harley, though my Father, Uncles,and Grandfather all owned Harley's. I always thought (when I was younger) they were heavy,dirty,and troublesome. I preferred
Triumphs. I think the Harley has come a long way since then, the(50's)
and are a really nice Machine, but for the money there's a lot more out there and a much better value. ;)
I only rode as transportation when I was young, and remember how I hated those rainy days & cold days.
But back then it was all I could afford. I ride for enjoyment today and there is a real difference. Today I have a choice if its cold or wet.
I know some people love to brag about how many mi. they ride, others brag about what they ride, and yet more brag about where they ride. ::)
To me, an enjoyable ride is with good friends or on beautiful winding roads in the country or in the Mountains or Lake Country. The mi. is insignificant to me,the quality of the ride is.
I think its nice that some people can get comfort in just dreaming about doing things, without ever doing them, for whatever reason. Some folks can't afford to do them, and others may not have the physical skills necessary, but if they can dream and be happy, Thats a nice thing and I for one like happy people. ;)

Old 05-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Something to ponder

Some of my best friends ride Harleys Walk into any HD dealership and they devote as much (or more) floorspace to selling merchandise as they do to selling bikes. Walk through the front door at Chester's HD in Mesa and you think you are in some chi-chi boutique. My Kaw dealer has a leather jacket hanging on the wall by the Vulcans that has the Vulcan logo on it, and that's it. They have more Ninja-related stuff, but there's no way you would think you were anywhere but a motorcycle store.

We've discussed the lackluster marketing effort Kaw has put into the Vulcans before, so I'm not going to bring it up here. I guess I'm just fascinated by the psychological aspects of the HD "lifestyle".

My wife was in Albuquerque this weekend and was going to buy me a HD shirt as a surprise, but the HD dealer was closed on Monday. I'm glad they were because then I'd have felt obligated to wear it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Something to ponder

That would have been a tough one CJ!!! Let her know that it's Vucan or Nomad or nothing!

I ride once in a blue moon with my neighbor across the street. He as a Heritage softail 2003 pearl white. Open fishtail pipes with no carb mods to stop the awful poping. Has darn near every Harley clothing option. Has a lovely wife that now sports a Harley tatoo on the top of her tail bone. I've seen her on his bike maybe 3 times in 4 years.

Dog wears a Harley collar. Kids have Harley clothes. The guy doesn't know jack squat about working on a motorcycle. Has about 1800 miles on it in 5 years. That is not a motorcyclists to me. Talks a mean game however.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #13

Something to ponder

My best friend has always had a Harley. His present and probably last one is a roadking classic. Essentially the same as the Nomad. Except he paid $21000!! When he rides he becomes a different person. He dresses differently ( leather boots, leather vest with a harley T-shirt) Never a helmet and a cigarrette butt hanging out his mouth. His bike is a 2005 with 7000 miles on it!! I'll bet he's changed the oil a dozen times since he's owned it. His cats' name is ..........you guessed it......Harley.
I only wish Kawa would do more to bring more of us together. Of course if they did then we'd all be like them and from what I've read many of us don't like them because of these type of things. I'm jealous of them, in some ways.

vin

Old 05-28-2008, 12:08 PM   #14

Something to ponder

Here's my thought after pondering: I think the HD market is so HUGE that you'll automatically get more posers (People who act like they're big bikers and put 1800 miles on in 5 years). There are no doubt some hardcore bikers like txcwdancer that are harley owners. I have no problem with HD. My wife and boys have HD apparel that were gifts from friends. I think most people look at the HD logo as "American made Freedom" Slapping the logo on their car makes them feel adventurous. When my friend and I were comming back from Laughlin a guy we were passing put his arm out the window and gave us a thumbs up. I doubt he could tell my friend was on a Harley and I was on a Kawasaki. There's just something about seeing a cruiser on the open road that probably makes a lot of people wish they were on a bike instead of in a cage, so they slap an HD sticker on their rig to get a warm fuzzy. My cars bumper proudly wears the KawaNOW emblem.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Something to ponder

I had owned Harleys near all my life, till one fatefull day a friend of a friend got into a bind (the law) and needed money. Well he owned a Goldwing, and I had a little xtra cash, so I became the owner of the "Wing", figured I could sell it to some poor sap and double my money. I climbed aboard this monstrosity to get it home. After arriving at aforesaid destination, I proceeded to talk to my wife about taking a ride on it, to which she said "H*LL NO!! its not a Harley" two days later I had her aboard it for a three day trip. When we returned home she asked me how much do you think we can get for the harleys, and we have never looked back since.

Victor "Nightmare" Golubowsky
Moyers, Ok
Kawanow/VBA # 304
Patriot Guard
VROC
OKVROC

2001 Kawasaki Nomad Turbo
1998 Harley Sportster Hardtail Bobber Custom
1983 Kawasaki GPZ 550