Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Back in the saddle again,why

It appears to me that alot of us use to ride years ago then dismounted for a number of years. Now we are getting back into it. Why is this happening?? I'm not complaining but my reason might be the same as your, KIDS, stress relief, I can find a number of reasons. ;)
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Did the same fish, new wife, kids then we get old and want our youth back. :-)

Old 02-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #3

I didnt ride for close to 20 years, I had a bike when I got married, a few weeks later my wifes insurance was cancelled. When she inquired as to why, they told her its not you , its your husbands speeding tickets. I had plenty back then. When spring came around she said the bike is going, and it did. I don't think I speed, the limits are just to low. Since then Ive only had a couple of tickets, and the Nomad is certainly no crotch rocket.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 PM   #4

I hope that I won't have to give my bike up for whatever reason. With two kids 1 & 3 I may not get to ride as much as I like but I do get to ride some and my wife enjoys it too.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #5

I had bikes from the time I was 20 till I was 50. Quit riding as I thought it was getting to dangerous. Didn't want to press my luck.
Then I heard about Lee Trevino getting hit by lightning on the golf course on a clear sunny day. Figured what the he11, I guess no matter how careful you are you still can't avoid death. Enjoy life while you can. I used to love riding so I bought a 650 Silverado Yamaha in 2006. Cindy loves riding even more than I do. Two-up on the 650 wasn't making it so last year I did some research and bought the Nomad
Then I found this site shortly after Trip created it. Life is good!!
Oh, sorry Kawgirl, didn't mean to quote your license plate ;)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #6

I didn't ride for twelve years. When my 49th brithday came around and I was thinking of the next one, I decided I was working all the time and not enjoying myself. Our only out was our travel trailer which we use for camping about every 6 weeks except in the coldest part of winter.

That left a whole lot of time in between to just go to work. I knew my race face was long gone now so I could ride safely. I really needed the bike to make me sane and if I put it off, I would probably not have bought it and I would have regreted that.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #7

I haven't ridden for several years. I decided to get back in the saddle after a three week vacation from AZ through CO, WY, & UT last September. No travel plans, no schedule to meet, and no interstates. Never knew from one night to the next where I might end up. Every place I looked there were bikers doing the same thing. Everyone was stopping to smell the flowers, relaxing, and enjoying the scenery. I was enjoying myself and wanted to be back on a bike instead of being in a cage.

tomk is right. Working all the time and not taking time out for enjoyment isn't good. Life is too short. Face it, we are getting older with the associated aches and pains to go with it. If not now, just when are we going to do it.

After a previous post, Nico and the gang have already decided that I will be going to the Western Regional. That will be the planned trip for this year. Later on I will take my unplanned vacation. Not a clue where I will be going other than probably north to get out of the Arizona heat. Primarily I am using the Nad to reduce the stress. It's working.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM   #8

you could ride up with cactusjack he's from Chandler too.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:28 PM   #9

Evening folks...
I too had a large gap in my riding. Got back into it 6 years ago. Missed very much. Nothing like getting on the bike to relax your world.
Can't wait for spring to hit.

Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #10

Markg,

As I have mentioned before, we have some serious business to take care of at the rally -- our fun! (and watching Nico and BD to see what they do).

I hope you take WM's hint, ride up with Cactusjack.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:10 PM   #11

Rode for several years, had some of the kids then got involved in Corvettes. Raced (road courses) and Showed for almost 25 years then got back on two wheels about 6 years ago.
Stress relief, freedom of the road, late life crisis, adventure, getting away from it all. Maybe a little of all and a lot of some of these reasons.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #12

Pretty much the same with us. Married, kids, sold the bikes. Raised the boys and endured baseball, basketball, football, track, TAE-kwon-do, cub scouts, boy scouts, hunting, fishing and camping. Almost got to the empty nest and had the decussion of life after children. We talked of what we both enjoyed most of our younger life and motorcycles was the answer. We started out with a used 1500A BUBF and progressed from there. Now we ride around 17,000 miles a year. We try to make several VROC rallies each year, ride with our friends and enjoy our life.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:41 AM   #13
Advanced Member

right there with most, kids came along with all the joys they bring and the wife became afraid of riding so the bike went, now the the kids have grown enough that we needed a get away for the two of us the thing we missed the most (before kids) was the motorcycle found the nomad and have not look back, we love the feeling of getting up on the weekend picking a spot and heading out. Great roads an great friends this is our time- enjoy
ride safe.

Old 02-03-2008, 12:50 AM   #14

Same as the rest had a bike up until about 35 then drifted off to other things like Hot Rods. They got to damn expensive so I started riding again about 12 years ago.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #15

Only did a small amount of riding when I was young and really enjoyed it. But, had a few other things to do. Now, it has become one of my favorite activities, almost a passion. Really admire those that have accumulated a lifetime of experience. I find riding both relaxing and very challenging with the opportunity to explore.