Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #1

Stator Issues?

My 6 month old battery on my Nomad went dead on the road while I was riding. It wouldn't even take a charge when a friend showed up and we tried to charge it with his truck. Had to have my bike towed to the house. It was it's first time ever on a trailer. It was deeply distressed over that. Me too.

Could the stator be bad, causing this? What are some symptoms of a bad stator or rectifier. I put a new battery in the bike, but not sure if it's safe to travel until I know if it's charging or not. How does one tell?

Thanks folks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2015, 03:31 PM   #2

Volt meter?.................. I hope when your friend showed up and you tried to charge it with his truck, that you didn't have the truck running.................. It puts out way too many amperes for the bike to handle.
First thing is to check voltage at the battery with the bike running, should be some where in the neighborhood of 14 volts, if it is, then you need to clean all the connections and re-tighten, If it isn't, then you need to look at the stator connections inside the left lower engine cover.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 08-16-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Thanks,

Steve

Old 08-16-2015, 10:29 AM   #4

There are a lot things to check in a situation like this. It would have been good to have done a voltage and load check on the "bad" battery.

If you don't have a multi-meter go to Harbor Freight and buy one for $5.99. http://www.harborfreight.com/7-funct...ter-90899.html

There are basically two almost independent alternators(stator/regulator combo) on these bikes. They will run fine on one, but with only one functioning running two 55 watt spotlights or other electrical accessories, it won't keep up the battery.

The basic check is the standing voltage which should be around 13V for a fully charged battery. Then running voltage which should be around 14V. Check this with and without your accessories.

http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....-charging.html

Here's how my bike charged running on one stator.
http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....ng-issues.html

Here's where the smoke can out.
http://tearitupfixitrepeat.blogspot....sue-found.html

Old 08-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #5

Mr. Tearitupfixitrepeat, I just wanted to say I found your website a few years ago, and that you did an outstanding job with it. You do deserve a big THANK YOU for it.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #6

What brand and type of battery was it?

Do you use a float charger?

What accessories have been added to the bike?

How often and how far do you ride?

There a boat load of variables to consider.

It IS NOT unknown for a new battery to crap out in a short period of time. I had 1 go south in about 7-8 months, it was just long enough to be out of warranty.

MT
VBA 936

Old 08-16-2015, 07:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
Mr. Tearitupfixitrepeat, I just wanted to say I found your website a few years ago, and that you did an outstanding job with it. You do deserve a big THANK YOU for it.
Good deal. It's more less me taking notes on what I'm doing to refer to later and trying to keep common repairs and troubleshots close at hand for other folks, too.

Old 08-16-2015, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE View Post
I second that. Your website has been a big help, plus the pictures are very helpful for us older folks.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga