Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-21-2007, 03:54 PM   #1

Pipe question again!

Looking to put on new pipes next summer and haven't decided. Cost puts most manufacturers within $100.00 of each other, so I guess it would come down to sound, looks and how they perform. Don't plan on tweeking the the FI with a power commander ( would I have to if I put in the high flow air filter ?)
So, is it the standard V&H baggers ( even though these have the problem with the rear header cracking), RoadHouse, Cobras or what? Opinions would be great. I guess I should tell you my expectations, I'm really just looking for a little more noise ( nice low rumble ) particularly on the highway so I can hear the engine, and people can hear me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Pipe question again!

I did lots of research and settled on the V&H because of the sound and look.....it's an opinion.

They have performed well for me and I love the sound.....rumble is nice at smaller throttle positions and it will really bark when you open up the throttle. Just be prepared for the obligatory shaving of the left side pipe to get the muffler to slide on.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 10-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #3

Pipe question again!

I like the V&H also despite the cracking you may encounter. Most guys have good luck with them. I think I would still go with them again.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-21-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Pipe question again!

Roadhouse is all but out of business. I ordered their 2:1's for my Suzuki Boulevard C50T (that I just raded in for the Nomad) and it took 6 weeks longer than ETA to receive them and I never did receive the exhaust tip I paid extra for. I went to their plant in person, spoke to the VP (Tony) who gave me no indication whatsoever that the company will survive. I'd opt against RH if I were you.

I can't speak for the Cobra exhaust, but I'm sure they're good since they are a tried and true manufacturer.

I have the V&H and love them! Love the sound. I did get the PCIII as well, which was recommended by the dealership, but not the aftermarket air intake. Dealership said the stock unit sucks air pretty good, so to drive the bike as is for a while and decide later if I want to go that route.

the V&H have removeable baffles. Check that against the Cobra's if it comes down to finite details in the decision-making process. Otherwise, they are probably pretty similar.

My $.02,
Daryl

Old 10-21-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Top Contributor

Pipe question again!

If you check back there are alot of older threads about pipes and everybody's opinion on them too. i also went with V&H baggers and LOVE them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM   #6

Pipe question again!

So far I've installed two different sets of pipes for my bike. The first were JARDINE'S - they cost less then the other mfg's. I had them on my bike for about 4 yrs. The Jardines sound almost as load as VH's, but not as dirty!!! And they mellow out just a bit. fit and finish is excellent (I had the tapered duels for that stock look) about 2wks ago I installed some COBRA blvd duels w/4" billet ends. I wanted to try something new and go for a custom look. The Cobra's look great but they sound like stock pipes but w/ more bass, costed more then the Jardine's. I would Highly recommend the Jardines they hold up well, the sound of the pipes wont annoy you on long trips and have a better fit and finish then VH's. I know I installed a couple. I'm not a big fan of VH

Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Pipe question again!

I do like the removable baffles. Not for more noise though. Like on my sons KX250 we repack the silencer often. It keeps the back pressure correct and the tone is better. The 250 had alot of bark when we got it and is pretty quiet now, and we do this pretty often.
Granted, it is a two stroke.
So I vote for the removable baffles to clean and repack them AND THEN RE-INSTALL them. ;)
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #8

Pipe question again!

If you want a deep bass sound that's not brassy and not loud enough to get you into trouble with the law, Roadhouse Dooleys are great. Deep bass you can feel thumping in you back. Kinda like the rumble of distant thunder. My stereo has an audio volume of 0 to 80. With stock pipes, I used 40. With the Roadhouse Dooleys, I have to go to 42 to hear the same. At the bottom of this page is a sound bite.
http://nomad.eurekaboy.com/roadhouseexhaust.htm
I've had 2 sets on 2 different 1600's and love 'em.
Ride safe,
Dano

Old 10-21-2007, 07:59 PM   #9

Pipe question again!

Nice- I wish I owned a bank!!! And that sound is worth every penny. Finally another Nomad not disfigured by a VH !!!!!!!!!