Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

When to clean a K&N filter.

I'm curious as to how you all determine when it's time to clean your K&N air filter. I have a Roaring Toyz BAK so the filter is unobstructed and easy to see. Since installing it about a month ago the red coloration from the oil is gone. Does that mean it's dirty and time to be cleaned or does it mean the the filter oil as been sucked out and just needs to be freshened up?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #2

That's normal just clean it once a year.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I'm curious as to how you all determine when it's time to clean your K&N air filter. I have a Roaring Toyz BAK so the filter is unobstructed and easy to see. Since installing it about a month ago the red coloration from the oil is gone. Does that mean it's dirty and time to be cleaned or does it mean the the filter oil as been sucked out and just needs to be freshened up?
The k&n instructions for my '12 Nomad said clean it every 50,000 miles. I think that's crazy & will probably clean it 1x per year or every 8'10k miles. Stock filters lasted me about 8k.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #4

Thanks guys. I have since found this on the K&N site.

"Cleaning your K&N Air Filter is not required if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your K&N air filter is fine and does not yet need to be cleaned. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the air filter, it is time to clean it."

That seems pretty filthy to me, but I'm now confident I'm quite a ways away from needing to clean it.

Old 05-29-2017, 11:43 PM   #5

I clean mine every oil change, I like the idea of it as clean as the oil...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #6

IMHO you can clean a K&N filter too often. They allow higher air flow, but also more small particles to pass thru. Just like some of air conditioner filter, they need to get a little dirty to actually be most effective. The oil and some "dirt" will catch the small particles better than oil alone. I inspect mine and if it doesn't have too many miles, too many dusty miles, and doesn't look too dirty, I don't clean it more often than every 2 years (I don't have 50K lifetime miles, much less that many between filter cleanings!).

Old 05-30-2017, 08:16 AM   #7

I cleaned mine once a year only.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
Advanced Member

If it's been a while and I get caught in a hard rain, I'll clean it then too.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 05-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
IMHO you can clean a K&N filter too often. They allow higher air flow, but also more small particles to pass thru. Just like some of air conditioner filter, they need to get a little dirty to actually be most effective. The oil and some "dirt" will catch the small particles better than oil alone. I inspect mine and if it doesn't have too many miles, too many dusty miles, and doesn't look too dirty, I don't clean it more often than every 2 years (I don't have 50K lifetime miles, much less that many between filter cleanings!).
Exactly my thoughts too.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381