Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-01-2022, 03:15 PM   #1
Advanced Member

1700 Nomad Questions

As you can probably tell from my stream of questions. I'm old to motorcycles but new to the 1700. Two more questions. First, do 1700's really clunk shifting from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3 the same on downshifting 3 to 2 to 1? Second, the fan seems to come on very quickly at creeping or parking lot speeds. Normal?
Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Tortuga; 02-01-2022 at 03:44 PM.

Old 02-02-2022, 06:44 AM   #2

Yes gear ingagement is more positive on the 1700s. but as you ride and get used to the sweet spots it is not a problem .

Old 02-02-2022, 10:57 PM   #3
Advanced Member

As for the fan, you can see the radiator is boxed in and the air passing through it is ducted to exhaust under the engine. At slow speeds the air is not circulating around the cylinders much at all so the cooling relies on the liquid coolant/radiator and it has a thermostat to keep the temps in a specific range. Therefore the fan will run more to control the temp range.

Yes, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-03-2022, 12:59 AM   #4
Advanced Member

One thing about shifting any big twin, from a flat BMW 1800 twin to a Vulcan 2000 V-twin, maintaining engine rpm/momentum during the shift aids quick, positive, quiet shifts.

I've found this works very well on my BMW flat twins, and also on my 1600 Classic; as you get close to road speed/engine speed shift, preload the shift lever to take up any slack in the system, at the point of the shift the goal is to minimize any drop in engine speed, maintain the preload on the shifter, at the same time do a very brief/quick/short throttle chop while you pull in the clutch lever MAYBE 1/3 of the clutch lever travel, at the exact same time you do the throttle/clutch action firmly lift up on the shift lever. CLICK. You have the next gear and the engine is already accelerating. This produces a very quick/crisp shift action and smoother acceleration.

With any big twin engine, especially for the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, even the 3-4 shift, if you minimize any engine rpm drop and maintain flywheel momentum the tranny will respond much better, quicker and quieter. For upshifts especially I am not much a fan for a heel shifter. But then I've been riding BMW flat twins since the late 80s. On my 1600 Classic I positioned the heel shifter to be level with the floorboard.

Old 02-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Thanks for all the advice.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-04-2022, 09:15 PM   #6
Advanced Member

I wasn't a fan of the heel toe shifter on the 1500 'Mad but I wouldn't ride without it on the 1700. I heated the 1700 shifter behind the center point and bent it to just above being even the floorboard level and it is just right for my boot heal on shifting.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.