Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-19-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

As most of you know, we bought a trailer last year for hubby to pull behind the Nomad. I wish I could remember the brand name, but we got it from ebay. We had something happen that could have been a HUGE disaster, with it on our Florida trip.

We have used this trailer for a few long trips, including all the way to Canada last year. So, I don't know if this is something that happens over time, or just a defect in the welding to ours. Thank goodness, Chaz was tailgunner and none of us on bikes were behind him.

Okay, the story....we were coming back from the Keys in alot of traffic over all those bridges. Suddenly, I heard Chaz scream into my Scala that the tool box came off of the trailer! I turned around at the next safe place and headed back. I got there in time to see Chaz carrying the tool box back to his bike. Thank goodness, the car behind him was far enough back that he could stop in time before hitting the tool box in the road. When we think of ALL the worst case senerios that could have happened, it scares us! He spent the rest of the trip with the tool box strapped down onto the top of the trailer.

He's going to get it welded back down again, but this time he said he is making a cross-type bracket to secure it better.

The first picture shows the beginning of our trip, when the trailer looked its best! The rest show the end result

Where it broke off

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2011, 07:52 AM   #2

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Oh, if the lights look different in the back, Chaz changed the lights for the turn signals and added them to the fenders.

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 05-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #3
Top Contributor

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

other then that I hope yous had a nice trip, are we going to see some pics? I hope.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #4

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

As Cheri stated this was huge disaster that was avoided. The Brand of the trailer is Alumalite.

I was riding along I heard something hit the road close to me. Then, I heard a dragging sound. The trailer jumped behind me and I saw my toolbox in the mirror sliding across the highway. Both welds had broken at the bottom of the box. The weld ripped a hole the length of the weld and the other side only a small hole. I can't understand why there was only two 3" welds holding this box on. The box is 12x12x12 and is called a toolbox/cooler by the company. The rail it was down on is only 3" wide. With tools in the box ridding down the road they shift from side to side. I am guessing that this is what caused the box to break loose. I do not understand why there was no cross bracing to help this from happening. I am hoping that the company will make good on a replacement. If they do not then I will be welding cross bracing on it to keep this from happening again.

Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Hey Mitch! You see this?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Man o man that could have been disastrous.

Glad it wasn't.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-19-2011, 08:25 AM   #7

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

The welds probably would hold in most circumsatnces, but mounted where it is, it catches the wind and with the flexing from road vibration I can see that happening. On a thousand other trailers it may never happen. Do the welds look solid where they broke or are they punky looking? Either way if it was me Id also drill and bolt the box down with some large washers on either side.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-19-2011, 08:30 AM   #8
Top Contributor

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
The welds probably would hold in most circumsatnces, but mounted where it is, it catches the wind and with the flexing from road vibration I can see that happening. On a thousand other trailers it may never happen. Do the welds look solid where they broke or are they punky looking? Either way if it was me Id also drill and bolt the box down with some large washers on either side.
2nd what Ring says. Bolt the damn thing down. I would have thought they would have had 2 more welds on each of the long sides rather than the short sides of the bracket.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 05-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #9

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

That sure could hav turned out alot worst glad it did not. I think the Alumalite is a good sturdy well built trailer. looks like thay had plenty of room for more weld along the length of the toung or the box could be bolted on.Chaz is right some braceing would be good.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 05-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #10

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Just saw this! Cheri and Spazz, if you purchased it from the same company as I did, it is America's Best Trailers.com. The owner's name is Jason. Can't remember his last name. I don't have a tool box on mine. This option came available after I purchased mine. I have a cooler rack on my trailer that bolts down. Thanks for the heads up. I will examine my trailer very closely, especially the 2x2" square tubing welds.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 05-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #11

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

I will add that we had problems with the lock on the cooler not holding and the lid would flip open while riding down the road. When contacted them, they sent him a new lock right away. I feel sure they will appreciate the heads up on the current welding problem and help us out. We'll keep you posted!

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069

Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #12

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

I don't see how it managed to not get trapped under the trailer.
Very fortunate.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 05-19-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Coolers should face backwards so the wind can't blow lids open! A frame should have been welded to the trailer to hold the tool box, and then bolted.

It's a good thing the trailer didn't hit the fallen tool box and dump Chaz.

My trailer came off the hitch in SD and took us down. The latch was still locked with a combination lock, but somehow the gravel road we were on forced the hitch to pop off the ball still locked.

I looked and looked that ball and hitch all over and could find nothing wrong, never did find anything wrong.

You can bet any time after that I triple checked that hitch. It had been locked on for 4 days never coming off till the crash, so it beats me as to what exactly happened.

Behind the scene I could see where the trailer snaked around for about 13 turns, which was felt on the bike as the rear end getting dragged out from under us.

The left saddle bag was holed where the trailer tongue went in before we went down.

IN THE STILL shot of Chaz seated on the bike I see the trailer chains laying on the pavement!

I hope that was just the set up for a quick pic and the chains don't drag....

I bolt the chains one per side on the traler end of the tongue, so I can cross them under the tongue, which catches the trailer draw bar in the event of a disconnect.

For anyone towing that would be a real wise idea if you haven't.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 05-19-2011, 11:22 AM   #14
Top Contributor

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Alumalite should be notified and a recall for inspection/fix done. This could be disasterous for someone.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #15

TRAILER WARNING!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Coolers should face backwards so the wind can't blow lids open! A frame should have been welded to the trailer to hold the tool box, and then bolted.
Excellent point! I'll make sure Chaz has already thought of this when mounting it back on again

Cheri Ann
2012 Vulcan Vaquero
VBA #2069