Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Bullet bike vs Nomad

I rode with the ISP last night for grins and giggles. Our shift started and we had just hit I-15 southbound when we got a radio call that a trooper a few miles south of us just clocked a Honda bullet bike at 95 northbound. Heading right to us. We looked up and spotted him and he was closing fast. Our radar got him at 102. The trooper made a great turn around in the median and we ran the kid down a few miles later. To his credit he stopped and was polite. Never had been stopped before. While the officer was writing up his $150 speeding ticket (yea, I know they are cheap here in Idaho) I talked to him. Asked him where he was headed. He is from Utah and was headed to Island Park which is at least another 150 miles north. His back was killing him, his neck was tired from holding his head up and his arms were sore. He had a backpack on backwards so that he could lay on it on the gas tank for support. I told him that he needed to get a Nomad. He said "Is that like an Antique?". I then explained about the Nomad and told him that it was way more comfortable and would only do 100 if you pushed it. He said that he was tired of the bullet bike was going to sell it and get a cruiser. I hope so. Don't know why kids like those things if they are that horrible to ride. Must be the go fast feeling is more fun than the pain of a long trip, at least, until they take a long trip.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2008, 12:43 PM   #2

Bullet bike vs Nomad

That's the thing. They don't go on long trips. Those bikes are for the short haul unless you want the workout of your life. They're also short-lived. I've read that the average life of a new hyper-bike is less than 9 months, and 25% of them get totaled out within 6 months of purchase. One in 10 is trashed in the first 6 weeks. No wonder insurance on those things costs as much as it does.

Old 07-05-2008, 01:18 PM   #3

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Sport bikes are a blast! And thats what they are..blast here..blast there. They are like haveing a 426 hemi with a 6 speed in a unit that handles extremely well but uncomfortable! The Nomad is a 305 chevy hooked up to a automatic while sitting in a lazyboy chair. Which is better? Hmmm, if your cruising down some interstate..take the Nomad...if your ripping down some twisty backroad that hasn't seen a trooper in months and you want a rush..take the hemi....just my opinion..hmm..could be why I ride a zx1100 and a Nomad...Bdog

Old 07-05-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
While the officer was writing up his $150 speeding ticket (yea, I know they are cheap here in Idaho)
Wow, I'll say! In AZ, he'd be looking at at least 4 bills, and 86MPH or over is criminal speeding, which is a felony and he'd been spending the night in the graybar hotel.

Heck, I got nailed a few months ago going 17 over and it would have been a $330 fine. I was able to spend a half day in traffic school for $130 and made it go away.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
Bullet bike vs Nomad

nomads top out at 100?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #6

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad
nomads top out at 100?
Mine tops out at 90 'cause thats when I say the hell with this and back it down to 65
Some guys on here have gotten 115 I think.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 07-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #7

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Shift her back down to 4th and pour it on.

Old 07-05-2008, 05:36 PM   #8

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
While the officer was writing up his $150 speeding ticket (yea, I know they are cheap here in Idaho)
Wow, I'll say! In AZ, he'd be looking at at least 4 bills, and 86MPH or over is criminal speeding, which is a felony and he'd been spending the night in the graybar hotel.

Heck, I got nailed a few months ago going 17 over and it would have been a $330 fine. I was able to spend a half day in traffic school for $130 and made it go away.
That's interesting. Here it cost more than the normal fine if you go to traffic school. The difference is that no points are added to your license, and your insurance costs don't go through the roof.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:22 PM   #9

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Quote:
nomads top out at 100?
Mine tops out at 90 'cause thats when I say the hell with this and back it down to 65
Some guys on here have gotten 115 I think.
thats cool with me. i just sold my 1976 kz900..it had all the speed i could handle. these days i like the cruiser style riding.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:34 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to scion0
Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
nomads top out at 100?
not sure what it tops out at but I backed off when it it 105... :)

(that was plenty fast enough.... )

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 07-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #11

Bullet bike vs Nomad

I still miss the power of my old GSX1100, sometimes I still crave a need for speed.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-06-2008, 06:01 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Good thing I didn't have the money back when I was young. I had a CB360 and laid on the tank and got 'er up to 95 mph going downhill. Unfortunately, nowadays a kid can get a cheap rocket to kill himself on. You should visit a cycle salvage yard and see the aftermath.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:40 AM   #13
Mega-Contributor

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:

That's interesting. Here it cost more than the normal fine if you go to traffic school. The difference is that no points are added to your license, and your insurance costs don't go through the roof.
Right now, they are debating making photo radar speeding tickets "point free", so it won't increase your insurance rates. The state thinks more people will pay their tickets with less hassle if they know thay won't also take it in the shorts from the insurance company. The governor plans to use photo radar on the interstates to generate additional revenue to balance the state budget, which currently is $1 BILLION + in the hole. Yeah, AZ is a swell place...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 07-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #14

Bullet bike vs Nomad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq

Right now, they are debating making photo radar speeding tickets "point free", so it won't increase your insurance rates. The state thinks more people will pay their tickets with less hassle if they know thay won't also take it in the shorts from the insurance company. The governor plans to use photo radar on the interstates to generate additional revenue to balance the state budget, which currently is $1 BILLION + in the hole. Yeah, AZ is a swell place...
they are doing that here in ms...with the automatic traffic light cameras. you get a ticket mailed to you but it does not go against your insurance.

Old 07-06-2008, 09:49 AM   #15

Bullet bike vs Nomad

My Nomad will do about an honest 95, speedom reading 105. Isn't amazing, none of the states ever think about cutting spending. Just find ways to increase revenue.