Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #1

Upgrading from Nomad 1600 - Questions

Crashed my 06 Nomad 1600 that I've had for nearly 6 years back in December, as some old lady merged over on me and ran me off the road. Bike is totaled, insurance company already picked it up. I am currently in the market for a new bike, and while the Nomad 1600 seemed to check all my boxes in the cruiser category, I can't help but contemplate "upgrading" to either the Nomad 1700 or the Vaquero. Most likely used if opting for Vaquero, although I love the 2021 color!

Just how cramped is the leg room on the 1700 platform? I've done some reading on them all and that's the main thing that worries me. I am 6'1" and am a below knee left leg amputee, and the knee on that side is trashed and will only bend to about 90 degrees. I bought a 2014 Harley Street Glide a couple years ago and one of the many things I didn't like about it was the cramped legroom. I could manage, but it wasn't as comfy for me as the Nomad 1600. Also, the way I shift is by throwing my fake foot over top of the shifter and yanking up, as the footshell catches the lever and works like a charm....this means I can't have a highway bar/peg on the left side because it would be in the way, otherwise legroom wouldn't be an issue.

Any other pertinent information that would be good to know as I sit here and consider which bike to go with? I found an 07 Nomad identical to mine in TN at a decent price with only 4700 miles, and thought about just going back with what I know works for me. But the thought of getting something a little different, cooler, faster, etc. has me on the fence. I have 3 bikes and do trackdays, so I have other bikes for fun factor, so that's not a worry here. In a cruiser, all I need is something that is comfy, plenty storage, passenger comfort, reliable, looks good, plenty power. I've looked at most all of them, and don't think I'll be happy with anything besides a Nomad 1600/1700 or a Vaquero. Not really into the Voyager.

Anyways, open discussion is welcome to help me make my mind up. Thanks in advance for any of your input!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
Top Contributor

My choice would be a Vaquero for the parts availability aspect. At some point parts for the 1600's will become scarce whereas the Vaquero is still being built.

Last edited by redjay; 02-08-2021 at 05:29 PM.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Would a heel shifter help you out? I had one on my 1500 and loved it.

Old 02-08-2021, 08:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
Would a heel shifter help you out? I had one on my 1500 and loved it.
No, my Nomad has the factory heel shifter, I can't hardly bend my knee far enough to kick the heel shifter. I mean I can sitting still and really trying to, but nowhere near good enough to where I could shift like that all the time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Old 02-08-2021, 08:41 PM   #5

My .02$

Get a 1600. I think the Street Glide and Vaquero are close in Cockpit area. But that is just my thought. My Kawasaki 1500 Classic had more space than the Vaquero has, But I do not have your unique leg room situation and I am 4" shorter. The Vaquero has a One piece Heal/Toe shifter. unlike My 1500 did and I think ?? the 1600 also had a 2 piece adjustable. You would need to cut the shifter to accommodate your foot shifting style/ system you have currently used. Now a Mustang Seat will raise you up some but maybe not enough to make the difference.

Also with the Vaquero Handle bar forward is a challenge with stock bars since they will hit the fairing ( Fixed) vs Street Glide (fork mounted). Fixable but at costs, Bar risers and bars, then maybe brake lines, Ect.

A real shame for me to say it, since the rake difference on the Vaquero forks being only 2 degrees less make a big difference in handling.

I hope that may help you look into these and get another bike you enjoy to ride.

Certain Vaquero parts are already becoming scarce anyway. Could be just covid shipping though. I waited 6 months for OEM brake pads, canceled and bought EBS.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-08-2021, 09:11 PM   #6

I think you need to find a Vaquero or a 1700 Nomad to sit on and possibly ride. That's the only way you will be able to tell if it will work for you.

I think all the Harley except for the road glides have a smaller drivers area than the 1700s. Every time I sit on a Harley it just seems so little.

I'm 6'3" with a 36"+ inseam. Went from a 1600 to a 1700. Had the set reworked to move me back and up to get it to fit like I wanted

I don't think any bike has the space the 1600 nomad does. But as Mbarr10 says the 1700 out handles the 1500 and 1600. especially at low speed.
VBA #02401
2015 Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad black(sold)

2016 Salem, Antlers,
2017 Eureka Springs, Lake George, Antlers
2018 Custer NR, Antlers

Old 02-08-2021, 09:25 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I have the Voyager and have never been on a Vaquero. I do know that the Voyager is top heavy and the rack will want to make the bike dive into a tight slow speed turn. I would image the Vaquero is racked the same. Had a 'Mad 1500. The seat to floor board on the 1500 was about the same to me as the 1700. I have had both knees replaced so they don't care for tight leg positions. I did have Russell Cycle Products raise me up about 2 inches in the saddle and moved the seating area back which gave me more leg room. A true blessing with a price but well worth it. The 1700 Voyager seat is not designed for a larger framed (large Assed) rider so it does make you cramped like a tight wedgie. I don't know if there is any difference in the two seats.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:38 PM   #8

All good info, keep it coming! I am really leaning toward buying another 1600. A dealer has a used Vaquero about an hour away from me, hoping I can go sit on it at least. Just gotta find time between work and school and everything else going on.

Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber63 View Post
I think you need to find a Vaquero or a 1700 Nomad to sit on and possibly ride. That's the only way you will be able to tell if it will work for you...

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:52 PM   #10

Well, I bought one identical to the one I had! Except it's 1 year newer. This one is a 2007....best part, only 4,700 miles! Great condition and Cobra pipes.

Front head pipe has some heat coloring on the chrome cover, not sure why that cylinder would be running hotter than the rear. Maybe I need to change the spark plugs? Bike runs fine, other than a weird high idle issue it had when I picked it up. But after installing the power commander III that I took off of my old one and playing with the idle knob, it seems to be much more normal now. Before, it would idle high, then if it ever dropped down to normal idle and yoh blipped the throttle, it would stay idling high again.

Any ideas on what could cause this? When it was idling high, you could hold front brake and begin to let out on the clutch lever to engage it to where it would start to pull forward, then pull clutch back in and it would drop idle and stay idling at normal rpm. But then, blip throttle again, and it would idle high again.

When I put the power commander on it and crunk it, it immediately idled better but still a little high, so I turned the idle knob down a little and it seems to be right now. About to go on my first real ride on it, so I will report back how it does later.

Old 02-21-2021, 12:55 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Try cleaning the throttle body with some carb cleaner and a toothbrush.

Old 02-21-2021, 04:50 PM   #12
Advanced Member

If it is holding throttle on a bit and then idling down, bunch of stuff to check:
1. throttle sleeve should turn free; take apart the RH cluster so only the throttle sleeve is on the handlebar. Should be no resistance at all. If there is, clean it/lube it.
2. Throttle cables; free of the throttle sleeve should pull and close with little resistance and close easily due to the return spring on the throttle cam. Any resistance, check the cables for pinching/routing/kinking, replace/reroute as needed and lube the cables.
3. Throttle cam at the throttle body; free if the throttle cables should turn easily and snap shut with no resistance. If any, clean and lube as needed.
4. Butterfly plates in the throttle body should be free of any gummy buildup. If any clean with a long swab and carb cleaner.
5. Check all air boots, clamps and runners; any air leak can suck in air even with the throttle closed and hold the idle high until the engine slows.

Any or all of them can cause the the idle to hang high after turning the throttle.

Old 02-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #13
Advanced Member

TacomaJD, what part of NE Bama are you from? Hartselle myself.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-22-2021, 01:51 PM   #14

Damn nice bike and a Great purchase. Hope the idle works out with a bit of cleaning.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 02-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
If it is holding throttle on a bit and then idling down, bunch of stuff to check:
1. throttle sleeve should turn free; take apart the RH cluster so only the throttle sleeve is on the handlebar. Should be no resistance at all. If there is, clean it/lube it.
2. Throttle cables; free of the throttle sleeve should pull and close with little resistance and close easily due to the return spring on the throttle cam. Any resistance, check the cables for pinching/routing/kinking, replace/reroute as needed and lube the cables.
3. Throttle cam at the throttle body; free if the throttle cables should turn easily and snap shut with no resistance. If any, clean and lube as needed.
4. Butterfly plates in the throttle body should be free of any gummy buildup. If any clean with a long swab and carb cleaner.
5. Check all air boots, clamps and runners; any air leak can suck in air even with the throttle closed and hold the idle high until the engine slows.

Any or all of them can cause the the idle to hang high after turning the throttle.
I don't think it's anything to do with the throttle tube or any of the manual actions surrounding that, as it would idle high as soon as you crunk it without ever touching the throttle. The good news is, after riding it yesterday, it runs just fine after putting on the power commander and adjusting the idle knob. Rode around 150 miles yesterday, and I'm totally satisfied with this bike! Glad I found another 1600 with super low miles instead of messing with the 1700 platform. Hopefully this one will last me a long time. Looking forward to some long road trips this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
TacomaJD, what part of NE Bama are you from? Hartselle myself.
Rainsville area. Not too far from you, about 1.5 hours.