Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #1

"MELTED" regulator/rectifier plug - Bike side

Hi everyone.

Normally I'm asking about my own bike but I have a problem on my Wife's bike. I know its a little off this section but i'm hoping for some much needed help. My wife has a 1997 Vulcan 800 classic, it died on Saturday at Bike Week in Daytona while there with some friends and our Son. AAA towed it home. I tested it after charging the battery over night and found it wasn't charging. I suspected the stator was bad but after testing it, it checked out fine. so I looked over to the Reg/Rec - I found the plug had melted, bad - but all the damage to it is on the harness/bike side not the part side. i tested the Reg/Rec and did determine by that test that it is faulty btw. does anyone know where I might be able to get a repair kit, or used plug??

Thanks,
Tommy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1613.jpg (84.1 KB, 27 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-16-2015, 09:42 AM   #2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Kawasaki...657eff&vxp=mtr

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium

Old 03-16-2015, 10:34 AM   #3

I can't believe people do not think to look on Ebay for stuff
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-16-2015, 12:53 PM   #4

I'm not an idiot, thank you. if you'd read the post carefully you might have seen that my issue is on THE BIKE SIDE - NOT THE REGULATOR RECTIFIER SIDE.
i can find 1000 rectifiers with the plug on the end of its harness on eBay but I did not find anything to repair the bikes harness where I mentioned the problem IS!

So I'll clarify. Does anyone know where I might find a repair plug/kit to fix the wire harness on my Wife's 97 Vulcan 800 classic bike where the regulator/rectifier plugs into?

Thanks

Last edited by Tcflame; 03-16-2015 at 12:58 PM.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

DON'T Fix the plug. Instead cut it off and solder the wires in their correct order. ALL Jap bikes have this issue. There is a high voltage drop in these plugs, and once you fry one it is solder time. if you have to open these wires again just cut them. of course mark them first.

You will need tinning fluid to solder these I think. So far all the ones I have needed that. regular flux won't work for there appears to be something on the wires that repels it.

What happened was the heat made an oxide, and the connectors became worse over time and use. had you noticed that sooner you could have used chemical cleaners, and perhaps a finger nail file and some dielectric grease, but that's not a good option any more. I would cut strip bare slip on heat shring tubing to each wire and solder them. Maybe use a bit of dielectric grease before you warm the heat shrink tubing.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by macmac; 03-16-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
DON'T Fix the plug. Instead cut it off and solder the wires in their correct order. ALL Jap bikes have this issue.
I remember the Goldwing 1200's had this same problem. Most guys just went ahead cut the plugs off, solder the wires before it melted.

Old 03-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #7

Thanks Mac, Direct connection was plan "B" If there was no repair kit. If thats the case
i can do a direct connect. considering that it seems to be original making it 18 years old i figured the melting issue wouldn't be a concern down the road with a new plug anytime soon. But whatever, I can just as easy do it that way too.

Thanks

Old 03-16-2015, 01:49 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I can't believe people do not think to look on Ebay for stuff
eBay is not usually my first vendor of choice when trying to find something. I don't buy a lot of used stuff, so if I can find it new on eBay from a legit seller, then I'll consider it. It also depends what I'm looking for.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-16-2015, 02:38 PM   #9

Will a complete wiring harness help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Kawasaki-...d27e64&vxp=mtr

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 03-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HwyRider View Post
Will a complete wiring harness help?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Kawasaki-...d27e64&vxp=mtr
It would thank you. I'll drop him a note and see if hell make a deal if I go pick it up? its only 40 miles from me.
Thanks

Old 03-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #11

Mac is right. Ditch the plug-connector & solder connections and heat shrink tubing is the best way to go. I found this to be true especially coming from the stator and the regulator rectifier. Less resistance through connections = better charge and voltage flow. I think I posted about this over a year ago. I had both an 85 and 86 Yamaha VMAX with charging issues. Just by eliminating the connections between the stator and the regulator/rectifier and straight soldering all points to the battery, I went from charging at 12.7-8 to a wopping 13.8 - 14.1 @ 2k rpm's.
Prong and Pin connections RAPE any system of positive flow... JMO...
Mac is right...

Old 03-17-2015, 10:07 AM   #12

I had the same issue a few years ago but caught it in time before it melted too much, I cleaned up the connecter and made sure they fit together tight with some anti corrosion paste and its been fine since.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

I did the solder job to a lot of other people's Hondas, and my own xs850sh yammi. On the yammi somehow and I don't know which pair of ac wire on the stator it is, but found one bolt with a ohm meter that dead shorted the stator if it was as tight as it should be, That was a chore. With the stator off the engine in my hands it tested fine. One the engine is was dead shorted. So testing I removed the 4 bolts one at a time, and installed them again many many times until i found the bad mounting bolt. it ended up with 3 bolts tight enough and that 4th bolt lose, but it got blue loctited, and is fine.

In that case off e-bay i bought a whole used set of stator with rec/ reg, and another stator on top of that, but these are just spares, and have never been installed.
This goes well past jap bikes into jap cars and light trucks too, but there i find the same type of connectors doing voltage drop in heater fan motors. Same fix, cut the wires, and solder.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #14

Good to see you back Mac.

2010 Nomad 1700

Old 03-17-2015, 12:23 PM   #15

Yamaha was the worst in my experiences... not sure what their deal is. Never had a Honda with an electrical charging issue... YET. Had & have a few of em' both. Not with this Kawi tank yet either.(my first Kaw...) But at the end of this past summer, on my way to put it up for winter, I stopped at a few yard sales and when I hit the starter button it clicked, once, hit it again and the speedometer pegged and the clock and mileage tripmeter went out and reset... so by watching the posts on here through the winter, I am figuring on needing a battery here in the spring.