Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 PM   #1

Got to pay it back!

Almost four years ago, not so long after I started riding, I got stranded by a flat on the rear tire. It was about 3 O'clock on a Sunday in the middle of BFE, right next to nowhere. About 20 minutes into my walk to (I have no idea where I was going) to find help, a guy on a Goldwing stopped and picked me up, took me to the house which gave me just enough time to rent a trailer and go get my bike. This was no small thing for him as it was about 20 miles out of his way and he was late for a ball game because of his generousity. I couldn't thank him enough. Needless to say, I learned several things that day. I now carry a repair kit and pump, among other things.

But, that brings me to today. There is a section of road about 4 miles long near my house that is loaded with 5-6 90 degree turns marked for 25 MPH but with care could be taken up to 40 depending on the rider and bike. Anyway, 35 is more sane. The thing is, for about the past month there has been alot of construction on the main roads at both ends of this cut through, including the laying of new asphalt. They have been using this road as a depot for their equipment and doing repairs at various spots on this road with left over asphalt at odd days. There is no pattern to when they might get the urge to lay asphalt or put in a patch. Well, yesterday, they scared up about 300 yards of one end of this road and laid asphalt on one half of the road, leaving loose rocks and a pretty good drop off on the other half. :(" title="" border="0"/> Thing is, they start right at the beginning of the last set of curves so first there is a left sweeper, then a right sweeper with all this new construction and one lousy sign saying loose rocks right AFTER the construction begins. ???

I had been expecting something like this since they started the project and I travel this road every day to work. Aparently the young guy in the ditch on the Harley this afternoon did not. I passed him, made both sweepers (couldn't stop in the middle, no visibility, and cagers coming both directions), went on the straight road and found a turn around. When I got back to him he was upright and inspecting his bike. It appeared ridable but the headlight was caved in and shining hard to the right. He was a little bloodied from his nose, look like his right cheek and eye might be black tomorrow, but no broken bones and he was walking around good and his eyes seemed ok. I helped him get his bike out of the ditch, talked and walked him some to just check him out. Then he got a buddy with a trailer, so I left them to finish up. You never know, but it is good to know that there are those in the brotherhood that will stop. And I believe we have to help when we can. ;)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-14-2010, 10:04 PM   #2

Got to pay it back!

Glad you could help. It is a good reminder to us all to help when we can. Glad he could walk away.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 04-14-2010, 10:16 PM   #3

Got to pay it back!

That was a brotherly jesture indeed. I can't see any biker passing by another in distress, be it as minor as can be. I can guarantee you that he felt much better when you stopped to help. There's a special place for good bikers.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-15-2010, 06:29 AM   #4

Got to pay it back!

Kudos to you for helping out.

Good to hear about it. ;)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 04-15-2010, 07:49 AM   #5

Got to pay it back!

Last year while on a ride we had a very similar situation, me and my neighbor were going through a big S bend when I caught a glimpse of a helmet moving down in the bullrushes. We turned around and found that a guy and his wife, who was a passenger went off the road and down in the ditch. They were lucky it was damp and soft were they went in, they were both OK. We pulled them out and straightened a couple parts on the bike and they left with nothing more than mud stuck all over them.
This is a popular road for bike riders and has quite a few bikes on it. He said they had been down there for about fifteen minutes and we were the only ones to stop and help. I think he was more embarrassed than anything else.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #6

Got to pay it back!

The last time that happened to me was just last spring riding with Ells. Here's the tip I always give them. Get on the bike and get down the road a ways to collect their thoughts. I got a big ass ticket for dumping it on a dirt road up in the mountains.

A passer by called the cops to come help me(didn't need the help :) ) and it cost me a failure to maintain control ticket. So rather than sitting on the side of the road with all the evidence of failure to maintain control all around you, move on down the road a ways in case a cop feels the need to add insult to injury.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Got to pay it back!

I always stop if I find a stranded biker. Never know when it could be me. I even stop when I am in the car.

Good point Dan. No need of waiting around if everything seems okay.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Got to pay it back!

Well done your your thoughtfulness and courtesy. I'm sure he appreciated it as would anyone.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #9

Got to pay it back!

Last September I was comming home thru the Rockies. I came across a 1% biker that was stopped on the side of the road. Its a nasty, cold and lonely road up there, so I stopped. He was also half frozen since he had no gloves either. I had several zip ties that I gave him to hold his rear fender up and gave him a spare set of gloves I had. He very much appreciated the help and I felt good helping out...John

Old 04-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #10

Got to pay it back!

This is good to hear. You never know when you'll be next.

I would have been well screwed but for the 4 riders that helped me out of the ditch and the local that put off going to work to lead me to her house where she turned me over to her husband. He helped me clean up, straighten out the bike and get on my way home.

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 04-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #11

Got to pay it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
... and the local that put off going to work to lead me to her house where she ...
That was almost a damn good story!

Old 04-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #12

Got to pay it back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsregalnadness
Almost four years ago, not so long after I started riding, I got stranded by a flat on the rear tire. It was about 3 O'clock on a Sunday in the middle of BFE, right next to nowhere. About 20 minutes into my walk to (I have no idea where I was going) to find help, a guy on a Goldwing stopped and picked me up, took me to the house which gave me just enough time to rent a trailer and go get my bike. This was no small thing for him as it was about 20 miles out of his way and he was late for a ball game because of his generousity. I couldn't thank him enough. Needless to say, I learned several things that day. I now carry a repair kit and pump, among other things.

But, that brings me to today. There is a section of road about 4 miles long near my house that is loaded with 5-6 90 degree turns marked for 25 MPH but with care could be taken up to 40 depending on the rider and bike. Anyway, 35 is more sane. The thing is, for about the past month there has been alot of construction on the main roads at both ends of this cut through, including the laying of new asphalt. They have been using this road as a depot for their equipment and doing repairs at various spots on this road with left over asphalt at odd days. There is no pattern to when they might get the urge to lay asphalt or put in a patch. Well, yesterday, they scared up about 300 yards of one end of this road and laid asphalt on one half of the road, leaving loose rocks and a pretty good drop off on the other half. :(" title="" border="0"/> Thing is, they start right at the beginning of the last set of curves so first there is a left sweeper, then a right sweeper with all this new construction and one lousy sign saying loose rocks right AFTER the construction begins. ???

I had been expecting something like this since they started the project and I travel this road every day to work. Aparently the young guy in the ditch on the Harley this afternoon did not. I passed him, made both sweepers (couldn't stop in the middle, no visibility, and cagers coming both directions), went on the straight road and found a turn around. When I got back to him he was upright and inspecting his bike. It appeared ridable but the headlight was caved in and shining hard to the right. He was a little bloodied from his nose, look like his right cheek and eye might be black tomorrow, but no broken bones and he was walking around good and his eyes seemed ok. I helped him get his bike out of the ditch, talked and walked him some to just check him out. Then he got a buddy with a trailer, so I left them to finish up. You never know, but it is good to know that there are those in the brotherhood that will stop. And I believe we have to help when we can. ;)
I will never pass a downed rider or a bike setting on the side of the road looking like they need help. Harley or not