Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 04-20-2016, 08:48 PM   #1

Rode a new CVO Street glide today

So I rode a 2015 CVO Street Glide today. I'm not at all digging the paint job or crazy stereo system on this ride, but other than that it is a very pretty scooter. I was surprised that my 95 cube kawi seemed to have fairly equal power to the 110 screamin eagle on this beast. Not sure if it was just me, but the 110 seemed to shake way more than the 103 in my uncles heritage that i ride pretty frequently. I really wanted to fall in love with this bike but I didn't. i'll be going back to try out a 103 road glide they have on the showroom floor. it's beautiful and actually closer to my price range. the CVO street glide was listed at $36k!!! i'm also hoping to hit a victory demo day this summer. the street glide sure was rock solid and felt awesome down the highway. i can't wait to try the road glide!

here's a dropbox link to the bike: https://www.dropbox.com/s/82mq0m8awi..._2830.JPG?dl=0

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-20-2016, 09:15 PM   #2

Funny ... Im in Myrtle Beach on vacation and today I rented a 2016 Street Glide and I HATE IT. Im really disappointed in the over all performance of this Bike. The vibration, harsh clutch, not enough power, size of overall bike. I just feel let down. All I've heard is criticism from all the harley guys about how I ride a metric. So when I got on the bike I was expected to be blown away but Im not. I'm just..... disappointed
20160420_121635.jpg

VBA #03503
2005 Vulcan Classic 1600
Nomad rear end conversion
SG Front Wheel/Fender
SG Fairing
12" Santee Apes
Cobra True Duels
Dobeck TFI
Custom Paint
Custom Leather Seat

Old 04-20-2016, 09:44 PM   #3

I have to agree with the disappointment of the HD, especially the price. I have ridden several over the years, but have never owned one. I'll keep my 01 Nomad.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Old 04-20-2016, 09:58 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I would like to try a road glide one day, have ridden several others
And did not get the wow factor either, I think the road glide would be
Roomier for me.
I would probably take a hard look at Indian for my next
Bike

Old 04-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #5

Before we shipped our Voyager to the USA last year for 2 months and 10k miles of riding, we had our next bike all planned out. My wife and I had agreed that a '15 Street Glide would suit both of us quite nicely, after we took one out over here for an extended test ride.

Then in the USA the Voyager performed flawlessly while the late model HD's around us either bled oil everywhere or simply left their passengers stranded on hot days at the roadside. We used less gas than they did, , went faster up the hills, arrived more refreshed at our daily destinations, and became the envy of the 25 bike group for the relaxed way the Kaw went about it's duties.

So we shipped the Voyager back home, re-thought the plan entirely, and fixed up the couple of small things about this bike that bothered us... New suspension all around, a JW Speaker / Daymaker headlight, and an Ivan's ECU re-flash later, I'm further away now from succumbing to the HD mighty marketing machine than I've ever been any other time in my life.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-21-2016, 08:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Before we shipped our Voyager to the USA last year for 2 months and 10k miles of riding, we had our next bike all planned out. My wife and I had agreed that a '15 Street Glide would suit both of us quite nicely, after we took one out over here for an extended test ride.

Then in the USA the Voyager performed flawlessly while the late model HD's around us either bled oil everywhere or simply left their passengers stranded on hot days at the roadside. We used less gas than they did, , went faster up the hills, arrived more refreshed at our daily destinations, and became the envy of the 25 bike group for the relaxed way the Kaw went about it's duties.

So we shipped the Voyager back home, re-thought the plan entirely, and fixed up the couple of small things about this bike that bothered us... New suspension all around, a JW Speaker / Daymaker headlight, and an Ivan's ECU re-flash later, I'm further away now from succumbing to the HD mighty marketing machine than I've ever been any other time in my life.
Good comments Peg on how/why you chose the right bike for you. I've always dug HD's and figured I'd get one some day. And of course I like HD's, that's why I bought a metric clone! That day I planned was either going to be this summer or next - depending on how long it takes to find the right fit for me. After riding that $36k CVO SG, I'll be opening up my search more to used HD's,(I didn't plan on spending more than maybe $20k new) road glides, etc. Also the new voyager/vaquero and Victory as well. I heard the new Indian 111 is crazy powerful, but I'm not sure that look is for me. I told the HD salesman I was considering all options including Victory. He didn't try to sway me. I was actually curious to hear some input from my local HD team as to why I should go HD for my next ride - I value their opinion as they've been around here for decades.

I wish it was as easy to test ride a Vic or new Kawi as it is HD. I just walked in and was given the fob to a $36k bike to test ride! It was a cool experience. Makes it difficult to find the "right fit" in another brand when I can't test ride. Looks like I've just complicated my search.

Viking hard bags

Cobra fatty highway bar

Cobra long shots

thetrailerstore ebay fairing

LRS recurve shield

Yaffe 10" mini bagger apes

Old 04-21-2016, 08:08 AM   #7

Here in germany, we have a saying :

If you want to ride a motorcycle, buy a japanese one !
If you want to wrench a motorcycle, go get a Harley !

Also the price difference here for a Voyager compared to a ElectraGlide is about 16.000 Euro ! ! ! So the "same style" Harley is nearly the double of the Voyager here - and dont forget, if you have bought a Harley, you cant ride without all the mercandise clothes. Shorts, underwear, jacket, everthing must have a Harley print on it.
Never seen such a behaviour on any other motorcycle brand.

But that are just my 2 cents from a "little" guy over in germany.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 04-21-2016, 08:45 AM   #8
Advanced Member

If I could have gotten a Road Glide for the price I did for the Vaquero, I might have gone that way. The 1700 motor and cruise control are standard on this bike, but extra on the 2011 RG. And it seems HD is the only brand that dealerships add major dollars on for aftermarket parts. This bike had the pipes, air kit and pcv already on it. When I said I'd give 8k otd for it, the dealer didn't even blink. No way I could have gotten a RG at that price.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 04-21-2016, 10:38 AM   #9

If I didn't know better, I'd think all of you moved to Colorado and have been smoking grass..... A 110 screamin eagle has less power than a Nomad? You're kidding me right? My 103 would walk all over my 1600 Nomad any day of the week. Harley accessories aren't any more expensive than any Jap bike... that is if they even make them. Harley guys can get damn near anything known to man put on there bikes. As for supposedly having to work on a Harley al the time. maybe you guys should read on here a little more about all the problems guys have with their Kawasakis. You all just sound like a bunch of wishful thinkers if you ask me. I kept my Nomad for a reason, (I like it) but I bought the Harley for long trips, which is one thing it does waaaaay better ....

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 04-21-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Advanced Member

I agree the aftermarket parts costs the same intially, but for some reason, the HD prices I've seen seem to ask for more on those parts when it comes to resale.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 04-21-2016, 12:21 PM   #11

I was a die-hard Harley guy with both a 2001 and 2008 Ultra Classic. I enjoyed those bikes very much but I did have my share of repair work with both of them. They were purchased brand new with seven year warranties. I had to sell the '08 because of hard times in 2010. I had every hope of owning another Ultra when things got better.

In 2014 I was able to purchase a 2005 Nomad from a forum member here that had over 32,000 miles on it and I had that for 15 months and added 7,500 miles to it. It was so dependable for me that when I had the money to upgrade to a new touring bike I looked at the Voyager. For me with the past history of Harley and Kawasaki I chose to go with the Kawasaki and have not regretted it.

I was able to pay cash for the Voyager and have no payments and that would not have happened if I bought the Ultra Classic. I am very happy with my decision and would not go back to an Ultra because of the cost.

That being said I have no problems with any Harley owners as I enjoyed my time in the saddle when I was one and could afford it.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #12

@ dshelly :

Dont get me wrong, I like the Harleys too and if I could buy a new ElectraGlide with the same features the 1700 Voyager had, here in Germany, I would do that. Here is the difference nearly 20.000 US-$ between them ! ! ! Even a Indian or a Victory is about 10.000 - 15.000 US-$ more than an similar Kawasaki.

BUT, Germany is different to the US in many reasons.

Here most of the Harley riders got a lot of probs (overheating, etc.) with their engines. Why ? Hm, cauz they run so lean due to european emission rules. So, if you want to avoide such probs, change the european mapping with the US version, but than you are riding illegal and wont pass the emissions test every two years. Next prob due to the price, most Harley riders here are dentists, lawyers, etc. so some kind of people which is known here to be very snobby - they think they are something special, cauz the are riding a Harley - I dont like them. By the way, only very few Indians and Victorys around here.

So, yes, there are also some probs with Kawasakis and any other brand. Have a look in their forums und what will you see ? Mostly problems mentioned. Why ? Because a problem is the reason, why the people sign into a forum to get help. Only a handful in a forum will tell you, noooo never had any probs.

The Harley dealerships are also not so well known for friendlyness and customer service here.

Have been on a Harley in 2015 and on an Indian in 2016 during the Daytona Bike Week in Florida and both have been nice bikes with a enough power, etc. The Indian was lack of quality, more like a rust bucket. The chrome started to rust after 12.000 mls already, etc. , but the engine incl. transmission was way better than the Harley.

You're absolutly right, regarding the aftermarket, ther are tons of parts for Harleys and only a few for the Kawi. Most of them has to be "adopted" cauz they are made for the Harleys, but also in this case, dont forget, in the US you could do much more things legally to your bike than over here. In europe, most aftermarket parts are illegal, cauz the got no approvement from the german DOT (called TUEV here).

I hope this will clarify a little bit more my opinion about Harleys, Indians, etc.

IF I ever live or immigrate to the states, I think would ride a Harley, Indian or Victory, but not here in europe due to the reasons mentioned above.

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 04-21-2016, 01:01 PM   #13
Advanced Member

With all the sites now you can go to for info on brands, reliability, upgrade options and prices, I have to ask myself, where was all this stuff when I got married????
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 04-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootergptx View Post
With all the sites now you can go to for info on brands, reliability, upgrade options and prices, I have to ask myself, where was all this stuff when I got married????

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 04-21-2016, 05:24 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodooman View Post
Not sure if it was just me, but the 110 seemed to shake way more than the 103 in my uncles heritage that i ride pretty frequently.

here's a dropbox link to the bike: https://www.dropbox.com/s/82mq0m8awi..._2830.JPG?dl=0

It's not you, the soft tails have a counter balanced engine.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381