Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-09-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Interesting HLA issue

I Bought this 05 Nomad over 5 years ago. It came with the chattering HLA (lifters). I had planned to replace them, one of these days. I have the HLAs, filters etc. In the meantime I've been changing the oil and filter on schedule, several times over the years. Just oil and no additives. I live in Florida and ride throughout the year. So last week the engine went real quiet, smooth as silk. All I can hear now is the mellow exhaust rumble. It's like a new bike now, for the last 100 miles. Sure hope it stays that way. Question is; how is this explained? Did those HLA filters all of a sudden clean themselves out, allowing more oil to get into the HLAs? It's my only guess. Interesting, no?

Ken

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #2

Sometimes, a really small air bubble can cause it....(reason why they want you to soak them in oil before installs)....they even do it at the factory, then they prelube it with a pressurized oil system to avoid dry start when new....
OR,
Theres a little lump of trash, or grit, that lodges in the mechanism in the HLA. The clearances in these are super tight, doesn't take much to foul them....ie....dirty oil from previous owner.
These are the usual culprits.... My old ElectraGlide which had Hyd. Lifters always had the front cyl. exhaust sounding like a little guy with a hammer in there. When I started rebuilding the engine about every 45/50K, 1st rebuild I went with a sifton Hi-Perf. cam with solid lifters....that way it did away the all the noise after the engine warmed up....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Old 08-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #3

Sometimes I wished the Nomad had solid lifters. HLAs are great 99% of the time tho. I have a small box of new HLAs that I hope never to use. Really don't feel like pulling out the engine. Takes time away from riding it!!